Injustice: Gods Among Us Demo Arrives Next Week

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Injustice: Gods Among Us Demo Arrives Next Week

In only a few short days you'll be able to punch Batman, kick Wonder Woman and uppercut the smug grin right off of Lex Luthor's face.

Come April 2, those of you with PlayStation 3 consoles sitting in your home entertainment centers will find a new entry in the PlayStation Network Store: A demo for NetherRealm Studios' DC Comics fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us. The following day Xbox 360 devotees will find the same demo sitting in the Xbox Live Marketplace. Both are completely gratis and will offer fans a chance to enjoy a small section of the title from the comfort of their own home.

Included in the demo are three of the game's playable characters: Batman, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor. This trio will be engaging in virtual fisticuffs in the Gotham City arena stage, which NetherRealm claims will offer players a substantial look at both in-game combat and the title's destructible environments which can also be used as weaponry in a number of creative ways.

For a hypothetical example, say you're enjoying a nice fistfight in the Batcave. You spot a wall-mounted laser. Batman might hit a button, commanding the laser to fire at his foe. A stronger character, like Superman, might pull the laser right off the wall and throw the whole, huge thing directly at whoever was dumb enough to pick a fight with a nigh-invulnerable Kryptonian. This is all based purely on things seen in the game's trailers and shouldn't be considered a perfect recitation of something actually found in the game, but gives a solid idea of how NetherRealm has implemented environmental weaponry into Injustice.

Oh, and speaking of trailers, the developer also issued a new one alongside this morning's demo announcement which you can find embedded above. Featuring the newly-revealed Black Adam throwing down against the apparently suicidal Green Arrow, the trailer is a little over two minutes long and as you might notice is pretty heavily scripted. Not that it isn't an accurate depiction of gameplay in Injustice, it's just that this vignette is designed to be an idealized version of said gameplay. You'll find all of the attacks you see in the final game, just don't expect the same sort of dramatic camera angles.

Injustice: Gods Among Us will make its full retail debut on April 16. It's slated for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U consoles.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
A stronger character, like Superman, might pull the laser right off the wall and throw the whole, huge thing directly at whoever was dumb enough to pick a fight with a nigh-invulnerable Kryptonian.
In any other context, you'd have a very valid point about the nigh-invulnerable Kryptonian. But remember. In this game, it is entirely possible for the Joker to beat Superman by stabbing him in the chest with a rusty knife.

Anyway. I'm pretty happy to see a demo coming out. I've recently fallen back into playing Mortal Kombat in anticipation for this game, and I'd love to see how this one plays. With all it's environmental destruction and character trait attacks. I've been needing a new fighting game... And I'm a sucker for these sort of Hero vs Villain sort of fighting games. Nice to see Netherrealm focusing on this idea alone instead of mixing it up with Mortal Kombat (Which didn't work out very well, imo).

Nov 28, 2007
I'm glad a demo is coming out. I am planning to get the game, but lately I've been having pre-buyer's worries, since Netherrealm Studios has only made one game before this under Warner Bros. A demo could help those worries out.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is very exciting. I'm gonna be all over that demo. I feel like I have been waiting a long time for this and it's almost here.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of a Wii U demo...I'm also disappointed by the lack of a Special Edition bundle for the Wii U...that being said though, I'm still going to get this on the U. Can't wait to play this game either way...hopefully Lobo will make it to the roaster before DLC characters start getting produced.