Scientists Crowdfund NASA Trailer For Star Trek Premiere

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Scientists Crowdfund NASA Trailer For Star Trek Premiere

The Aerospace Industries Association is hoping to place a 30-second NASA trailer entitled We Are the Explorers ahead of the premiere of Star Trek Into Darkness in theaters across the U.S.

In February 2012, NASA put out We Are the Explorers, a short video that looks at "the tradition of reaching for things just beyond our grasp." Narrated by Peter Cullen, better known to most of us as Optimus Prime, it's inspirational rather than instructional, but it's also a great reminder that the whole wide universe is out there, waiting to be discovered. "We don't know what new discoveries lie ahead," Cullen intones. "But this is the very reason we must go." It's goose-pimply kind of stuff.

It's a message the Aerospace Industries Association would like to expose it to a much wider audience, and thus it has whipped up a rather clever plan to crowdfund the purchase of space for a 30-second edit of the video to run in "major movie markets" ahead of the premiere of Star Trek Into Darkness. If the goal of $33,000 is reached, the ad will run in more than 50 theaters for eight weeks; additional funds will be used to buy slots in more theaters across the U.S.

But beyond simple fundraising, the Indiegogo campaign is also intended to be a demonstration of support for space exploration programs. "By donating to this campaign, you're making a very powerful statement about the widespread enthusiam that exists for space programs," the campaign states. "A crowdfunding campaign is the best vehicle to deliver this message. By reaching our goal, we not only enable a first-of-its-kind ad campaign, we also demonstrate that countless people support a strong space program that's in development."

"Perks" for supporting the campaign are relatively thin and expensive, but unlike videogame crowdfunding, the We Are the Explorers campaign is more about kicking in a few bucks to support a really cool and worthwhile cause. It's going pretty well so far, raising more than half of its $33,000 goal with 34 days left on the clock, and with Wil Wheaton giving it a push on Twitter [https://twitter.com/wilw/status/317356692574707713], I suspect it will have no problem crossing the finish line.

Source: Indiegogo [http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/we-are-the-explorers-a-movie-trailer-for-our-space-program]

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
It was a corny sci-fi show to depict a future where everyone on earth got along and instill enthusiasm for the future and technology. Poor Gene, people don't want that crap no more. People want shooting

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
rhizhim said:
Yoshisummons said:
It was a corny sci-fi show to depict a future where everyone on earth got along and instill enthusiasm for the future and technology. Poor Gene, people don't want that crap no more. People want shooting
well thats quite some generalisation.

i do like finding stuff and exploring more appealing than shooting someone in the face.

the trailer is pretty damn cheesy. i like it.
but just going to mars for the lulz is not what i think makes marsso appealing.

only just mining the relatively nearby asteroid field is a great investment and i think it will determine who will have the last word/weight on our planet on future decisions. from a economical viewpoint that is.
Considering the last Star Trek(09?, or is it Star Trek the Star Trek) did nothing but be "Space adventure film, set in the future, in spppaaaaacccceeee. Now to be honest it was a pretty damn good action film, but it lacked the spirit of the old tv series. If I need to be more blunt I am disappointed in that the new Star Trek the Star Trek movie(s) do not inspire the sense of exploration nor anything of the spirit of the old shows, and that it is now nothing more than a good action movie. Is it a generalization that making emotion and tension filled animations like the Curiosity landing animation for example is made to appeal to a crowd that will grow apathetic to it shortly afterSeriously try playing that animation without music and see how it would get a college level student that can't remember something as basic as the order of the planets to care? If the intent is to inspire kids to get into science, then throwing an ad in front of a science fantasy movie is not the best way to do it.

pretzels

Oct 5, 2010
Maybe they should go a step further and crowd source all of nasa; oh wait that's called taxes.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
wow that was cheezy AND AWESOME.
so little attention paid to space exploration this makes me think that we can acctually attain manned space exploration.

now lets just hope that the movie will be half as cerebral as this trailer

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Wow, an actual Space Shuttle Mission patch??

But kinda depressing that this government agency has to get monies for this this way...

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
US Department of Defense Budget 2011: $664.8 Billion

NASA Budget 2011: $17 Billion

This makes me sick...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Keneth said:
US Department of Defense Budget 2011: $664.8 Billion

NASA Budget 2011: $17 Billion

This makes me sick...
And if you ask the average person. They think any money going towards NASA is a waste because everyone lacks long term vision. They don't realize the sort of practical applications that come out of research and development.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
>That feel knowing you and everyone else will be long dead before practical exploration of space.

At least we get pretty pictures of the universe...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
if it was for an international space program I'd be all over it, but not for an American one. We won't get far if we keep up the boarders rather than work as a unified program.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Nurb said:
>That feel knowing you and everyone else will be long dead before practical exploration of space.

agreed when i was young there were talks of a terraformed and colonized mars by 2050. Nowadays I doubt it since public interest would rather have a super cellphone or Tablet instead.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Darks63 said:
Nurb said:

agreed when i was young there were talks of a terraformed and colonized mars by 2050. Nowadays I doubt it since public interest would rather have a super cellphone or Tablet instead.
The future's bleak, the money problems are going to get worse, can't rely on Obama to do anything but keep status quo, wage gap increses, so people just want their own little slice of escapeism because the "big picture" sucks to think about.