Blizzard Admits Diablo III Auction House Was a Mistake

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blizzard Admits Diablo III Auction House Was a Mistake

"I think we would turn it off if we could," former game designer Jay Wilson said regarding both the gold and Real Money Auction Houses.

Diablo III was a very underwhelming game to many long-time fans of the classic dungeon crawler. The obvious reason was Blizzard's much touted Auction House feature, which allowed players to sidestep actually playing the game to collect items, and instead Joystiq [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404318-Accountant-Creates-RPG-Entirely-in-Excel-Spreadsheet] that both of Diablo III's Auction Houses "really hurt the game."

He says that Blizzard grossly underestimated how players would utilize the Auction Houses. He thought they would help reduce fraud, that they'd provide a service to players that they wanted, that only a small percentage of players would use them, and that the price of items would limit how many were listed and sold. Boy was he wrong, especially on the last two points.

Almost every one of the game's players made use of an Auction House, and 50% of all players use one "regularly". Wilson says that the game still has a daily player base of around 1 million concurrent players, with 3 million per month. He says the problem is that the Auction Houses made money a much higher motivator than actually, you know, killing Diablo.

This damaged the reward of actually finding items in the game, because why spend hours farming bosses for random loot when you can go on the Auction House and find exactly what you need? The majority of Auction House hate is directed towards the Real Money Auction House, which many players saw as a shameless revenue raiser for Blizzard, but Wilson explains that "gold does much more damage than the other one does," because more players use it and prices fluctuate much more.

"I think we would turn it off if we could," Wilson admitted, "but the problem is not as easy as that." He says that Blizzard has no real idea how many players actually enjoy the feature, and he doesn't want to remove something that some players might like. That said, he says that the team are working on a "viable solution" to the Auction House problem, but stopped short of actually explaining what it would be.

I really think nothing short of turning the Real Money Auction House off completely, and substantially increasing loot drops as well as making the blacksmith much more viable (like they have started to do with the Demonic Essences [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZJ7717_-tc]) will "fix" the Auction House problem.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/diablo-3-director-jay-wilson-auction-houses-really-hurt-game/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I really feel bad for everyone here. I feel bad for the developers because it must be hard to admit that your creation just didn't quite live to everyone's expectations. And I also feel bad for the Diablo fans because you could really see how excited they all were for this title.

At the same time, I admire the fact they admitted it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. Most developers would go "Oh, it's the audience's fault" or "Figures they wouldn't like it if its not CoD". So props for that?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Beautiful End said:
I really feel bad for everyone here. I feel bad for the developers because it must be hard to admit that your creation just didn't quite live to everyone's expectations. And I also feel bad for the Diablo fans because you could really see how excited they all were for this title.

At the same time, I admire the fact they admitted it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. Most developers would go "Oh, it's the audience's fault" or "Figures they wouldn't like it if its not CoD". So props for that?
It makes them seem human and not like a sociopathic Corp. While this may be just for good PR, it will work to bring back some good will and gives hope they won't do it again.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I actually kind of liked the idea of the auction house. The problem was that they lowered the drop rates so much that you pretty much had to use it. It was a lot of use when you are leveling a new character and want some low level items but it sucked when you basically had to use it for any character. I understand why they introduced it because lets face it finding the stuff you needed/wanted in diablo 2 was a royal pain in the ass. Having to look in dozens of different games advertising trading or creating one and waiting two hours really sucked.

Taking it out now would be a massive problem though because on top of what he said you would have to restructure drop rates as well as the game lobby. You would need a new lobby similar to diablo 2's in order to make it work.

I am really curios to see how they will go about it with the ps3/4 versions.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I wasn't against the auction house but yea it destoryed the reason to grind the game therefore killing it. Nice they can see that and maybe for the first expansion they'll drop it/restrict it/redesign it. I used it and don't hate it but hey whatever, people will like and hate whatever they want.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Oh man I hope they don't remove they real money auction house. I like being able to sell the things I don't need to people to lazy to play the game for real money. That money I then use to pay my WoW subscription.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Well I suppose it's good that capitalism exists for Diablo fans, because Torchlight 2 was a better Diablo experience then Diablo 3 was.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well look at that. Another case in point that fans know what the fuck they're talking about. Auction house was a deal breaker for me. I knew it would ruin the game.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Live and learn. I bought Diablo III just to see how would the auction houses would affect the gameplay, from my time playing it and some friend's opinions it wasn't a good idea; but on general I am glad Blizz went that way on that game, was an interesting experience.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Great that they're admitting it and all but you'd think they would have realized it was a bad idea when so many fans were very vocal about their hatred of the idea before the game was even released.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I felt pressured into using it... by the time I hit Inferno level I was grossly under defended and resilianted (Not a word but work with me here).

No amount of running act 4 of Hell Difficulty would net me the drops I needed unless I was extremely lucky.

It would have taken weeks, months if I was really poor on luck.

And that was where the enjoyment ended for me, I couldn't pour real money into the game, I had to grind gold, and sell everything on there for a profit because selling unwanted gear in game to NPC's only got you a paltry peanuts amount of what it would be worth to the right players on that damn AH. And if someone was a bigger grinder of gold than you, well guess what sonny, INFLATION TIME, no gear for you unless you can pay the toll.

And yeah, I don't like playing the auction house on WoW, I don't like it here. I can manage my own gold but at the cost of enjoyment... for what, to get more gear? To kill Diablo AGAIN on a slightly up-tuned level?

At least in World of Warcraft I'm continually striving toward a new experience, or encounter, or level of play in unique circumstances with a fairly stable online experience and complex gameplay and decent story (seriously pandaria's story telling has really been fantastic as far as WoW goes).

Diablo 3 was just...well WoW with all the fun cut out by the end of it. WoW has this itch scratched for me now... Back when Diablo 2 was fresh WoW was barely in a nappy throwing it's first beta images to the cooing masses. It's not quite as necessary as it was...

Also my god the networking rubber band issues just shot it in the face for me. My internet connection is not stable. It fluctuates poorly because using copper phone lines for Internet sucks for poor people but that's the best I can get here. And it caused all sorts of issues, my monk would spring back into insta kill poison and fire she'd escaped 3 seconds ago or so my commands and brain would have me believe only for the wonderful Diablo 3 servers to have gotten the message delayed and kicked my character back into the death trap.
I couldn't even ATTEMPT hardcore mode like I wanted because I'd be gimped from the start.

Anyway I already relayed this to Blizzard when I quit, As much damage control as they try to do, they do at least tend to concede on issues, the problem is being able to do anything about them once the shit has already hit the fan. Hindsight is all well and good and screaming foul when the mess happens is fun for a while, but acting on the problems and not repeating the mistakes speaks louder

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Scorpid said:
Well I suppose it's good that capitalism exists for Diablo fans, because Torchlight 2 was a better Diablo experience then Diablo 3 was.
Not only Torchlight 2, both Path of Exile and Grim Dawn wouldn't be this far along in development if it weren't for the disappointment of D3

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
I did not have a problem with the idea of the AH. I just hatted how they basicly forced you to use it when the game came out and it just seemed the game was built around it rather then a feature of the game.

Biggest peves with it

1.It became entirely nessery for inferno due to how the loot drops worked when the game came out.
Lev 63 items did not drop until act 2 and they were basically a requirement for solo Inferno with the exception of one class. If you wanted to solo run inferno you were basicly at the whim of teams that could grind inferno.
Last time I played this changed but it just sucked the fun out of the game for me.

2. Combined with the limited choices in weapon types and damage skills and no ability to mess with attributed points, duel weps being worthless it forced very limited amounts of Meta build for each class compared to outer games.
It forced you to grind for that one item rather then between you and your friends finding a item that helped your build rather then optmized it.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Yay! Maybe, just maybe, they'll release an offline version. Then I'll buy it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Now just remove the AH and always online requirement and I may actually check out your game, Blizz.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
which allowed players to sidestep actually playing the game to collect items
Pas the first two difficulty levels it REQUIRED you to use the AH to buy items instead of collect them from drops because the drops were purposely crappy because the game was balanced for the AH's existence (they admitted this). If you didn't use the AH to gear up you would get your ass repeatedly kicked in Inferno level without it, to the point of making negative progress.

This means playing turned into:
- Grind to get gold in your gold suit AND/OR
- Grind to get items in your item suit - items which you could never actually use, just sell on AH.
- Use AH to buy slightly better gear.
- See how far you can get before it's no longer fun to play.
- Repeat.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Note - this was pre-Paragon.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Well look at that. Another case in point that fans know what the fuck they're talking about. Auction house was a deal breaker for me. I knew it would ruin the game.
"Nah it's okay guys we know what we're doing, you'll love it". All too common famous last words from AAA game developers nowadays. I think they need to wake up and realise that sometimes they don't have all the answers, and sometimes letting the game get spoiled a bit in testing is worth the benefits.