Splinter Cell: Blacklist Preview - Live and Die By the Shadow

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Splinter Cell: Blacklist Preview - Live and Die By the Shadow

Even with new gameplay options, Sam Fisher is still all about stealth.

Read Full Article

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Hm... so they added a mass effect-style crew to chat and travel around with? Let's wait how that will work out. It could be great for giving his "companions" a little more background. I always liked Lambert but I got to admit to never having read any of the novels so I don't know much about the character. Of course there'll be other characters as reviving that old fellow most likely won't work unless it is a prequel.

I really hope they make ghosting more viable again. The last Splinter Cell being that combat-focused was complete bs and will also be the reason I'll wait for the price to drop or complete reviews to be released.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
This has made me... slightly more optimistic for a return to form for the series (or at least the beginning of a return to form).

I still may reach for this game gingerly, and with a grimace, but before I wasn't planning on reaching for it at all, so it's something.

(It's still not gonna be right without Ironside though. You just can't replace that voice.)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
This has made me... slightly more optimistic for a return to form for the series (or at least the beginning of a return to form).

I still may reach for this game gingerly, and with a grimace, but before I wasn't planning on reaching for it at all, so it's something.

(It's still not gonna be right without Ironside though. You just can't replace that voice.)
Agreed. They may get me back for one more ride, but I'll be waiting on many reviews, and possibly the price drop.

Don't worry about Ironside, I've heard.Gilbert Gottfried will be taking over voice duties...

The third season of Seaquest DSV was my favorite.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Yeah, I was optimistic the second I found out hiding bodies was a thing again. (I even dedicated an article to it http://www.trashmutant.com/looking-ahead-to-splinter-cell-blacklist.html)

But I liked Conviction, as flawed as it was. If this is a cross between that and Chaos Theory, I can enjoy that. I like that the action sections will be a choice, though. And I like that you can interact with allies. It offers more depth!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well call me interested. dint bother to get part 4 and 5 due high amount of action and part 4 for being a poor pc port. lets really hope this game sounds as good as they say.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Sounds interesting. I did like the stealthier games more than Conviction but even that I played somewhat sneaky - just being more deadly with it. It wasn't even a bad game, just not a good at being a Splinter Cell game.

With that game, I seem to be able to get both with Ghost and Panther loadouts - and Assault, if I want to play a CoD-TPS without Regen-Health.

On an unrelated note to that, shouldn't Sam start thinking about retiring from active duty? That guy is probably around 70 now in-game, shouldn't he? Not saying that THE SERIES should end, but maybe Sam takes over Lamberts unused chair while we get a new guy? Just throwing an idea out...

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
If their stealth is anything like the version shown in earlier gameplay videos, then so far, I'm still left unimpressed. I guess it's time to give up hope that something like Chaos Theory may be made. It'd be nice to see what the Spies vs. Mercenaries mode looks like, though. At least to see if this team gets what made the original mode so damn fun.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Man is my skepticism riding high about this game.

While nothing in this preview sounds good. It doesn't seem outright terrible. Which doesn't bode well for the game, since in most cases - the more I see of this game, the lower my expectations become. I'd like to see things which are appealing, rather than things that either "Meh" or "Wtf is this?"

For me, Splinter Cell used to rival Metal Gear Solid as my favorite stealth game. That was before it dropped like a rock with Double Agent, and then ran itself into the dirt with Conviction. Seeing how they're handling Blacklist leaves me feeling devoid on any faith that they'll recapture what used to appeal to me about this series.
Sure, they can claim it to be a perfect mix of Chaos Theory and Conviction, but one look at the actual game being played makes me believe that claim is a load of crap.