Researchers Introduce Aromatic Advertising

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Researchers Introduce Aromatic Advertising

Japanese researchers have invented LCD screens with precision smell projectors.

It's not a big secret that quite a bit of what people taste actually comes from smell. It makes sense; when you have a burger on the grill it's not the taste of dripping meat fat that makes your mouth water, it's the delectable aroma of the beef as its sizzles to juicy perfection that leaves you panting like a hungry dog. The fact that our hunger is governed largely by our noses is something that advertisers, thanks to researchers, may soon be able to take advantage of.

Invented by Haruka Matsukura and colleagues at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, the "smelling screen" has the ability to precisely project smells from an LCD screen. In the case of advertising this could mean Starbucks ads that smell like coffee, Cinnabon screens that smell like cinnamon buns, and McDonald's ads that smell like cheeseburgers.

The technology works by employing gel pellets that vaporize into four gentle streams of odorized air. The streams can be targeted to make it seem as though a specific spot on the screen is the source of the smell, rather than just blasting the area in general with the delightful scent of cheeseburger.

While Matsukura has also suggested the technology could be used to improve experiences like museum exhibits, the possibilities for this as an advertising tool could be tremendous, as could the implications. For instance, I love bacon. I would eat it at every meal if I could do so without dying. Now, thanks to Mr. Matsukura, I can picture a future where there's bacon smells wafting out of every wall. Bacon coming out of billboards and through my television. Bacon screaming at me so loudly that I can't help but drive to Wendy's and eat Baconators until I'm huddled in a corner and weeping from shame.

Thank you Japan. Truly this was necessary.

Source: <a href=http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21729105.900-smellovision-screens-let-you-really-smell-the-coffee.html>New Scientist

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
fantastic. now i have more reason to aviod the shops. to protect my waist line

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
StewShearer said:
Thank you Japan. Truly this was necessary.
In all honesty, this says pretty much everything that needs to be said about this invention. I don't think I've ever met someone who said "You know, this show is great and all, but it would be better if I could smell it!" Nobody wants to smell TV, especially not when it would primarily be used by corporations to influence people into spending more money.

The whole thing just seems incredibly silly at best.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Every year someone does a smell-o-vision joke. Guess it was the Escapist turn at the wheel.

Also nice twist blaming it on japan because "japan is crazy"

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Ugh, my office is already located above a deli, and everything here already smells like bacon. If this tech is implemented I may set a record for the world fattest man. My hunger for bacon will be insatiable.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Robot Number V said:
Has anyone else noticed that Google just introduced "Smell Search" as an April Fools joke?
So, three possibilities.

A. This is real and google's joke is purely a coincidence
B. Neither is a joke and they are related. Google's real joke is that the smell search IS REAL and is GOING TO HAPPEN.
C. This is pure coincidence and that BOTH websites made the same joke.

Back to original topic: I can predict profits from air-fresher making companies going up 100000% as they blasts the smell of dead-fish into living rooms via adverts.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Vaporizing gel pellets? So either it's a one-off use or you have to refill your TV in order to get the benefit of look and smell of good food without ever getting to taste it? That sounds... silly at best.

On the plus side, it might finally kill the awful "just be glad smellovision hasn't been invented yet" joke.

TheFrost

Feb 4, 2011
ah yes, finally we get the yearly traditional joke news report from the escapist and at a good time too, I was starting to become paranoid.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So you can say "This ad really stinks" and mean it.

I don't think this'll catch on. I mean, where'll you put it? In the mailbox to overpower the unsuspecting homeowner when he opens the door? In a public space with an effective radius of about two feet? Heaven forbid, in the Movie Theater?

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
*Looks at date on source article*
GUYS THIS ISNT EVEN AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE.
Smell-o-vision cometh...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i predict that this will make ad blocking software into huge business, because everyone will try to block those stupid smells.