Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Review

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Review

The latest installment in the finest series there is about killing dragons and turning them into pants.

Read Full Article

Dec 14, 2009
Ugh, I want this game so much, but I'm not willing to buy a WiiU for it, since there's literally nothing else I want on the damn thing -_-

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Third times a charm I suppose... I tried to play Monster Hunter Freedom, then tried Monster Hunter Freedom 2 but I reeeeeeeeeeally want to get into this series... *sigh* but if you make me WALK those freaking Rathian eggs back to camp again im gonna put my fist through my DS!!!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Ugh, I want this game so much, but I'm not willing to buy a WiiU for it, since there's literally nothing else I want on the damn thing -_-
Pikmin, it temps you, like all sane men of good morale fibre.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
I finally caved and bought the Japan exclusive HD version over amazon. This new version just taunted me to much and i get the feeling as soon as it arrives they will anounce their going to release a translated version.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
PunkRex said:
Third times a charm I suppose... I tried to play Monster Hunter Freedom, then tried Monster Hunter Freedom 2 but I reeeeeeeeeeally want to get into this series... *sigh* but if you make me WALK those freaking Rathian eggs back to camp again im gonna put my fist through my DS!!!
don't worry, no required egg delivery quests this time.

if you want to skip the tutorial, talk to Neko (means "cat") to go online :p

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Monster Hunter Tri U came out at a good time because My Nintendo Wii died and took all of my character's information with it. And, since I loved the first iteration of the game, I went ahead and bought it for the WiiU.

It's still the same old game, except with extra monsters, new outfits, and a few new items that weren't in the first Tri. Like Carpenter Bugs. Damned, freaking carpenter bugs

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Spacewolf said:
I finally caved and bought the Japan exclusive HD version over amazon. This new version just taunted me to much and i get the feeling as soon as it arrives they will anounce their going to release a translated version.
They've already released a translated version everywhere else. Or is this HD version different? Because the Wii U port is just a HD touch-up with more content.

OT: I'm still debating whether to get this on my 3DS or Wii U. On the one hand I can take the game anywhere, grind for 15 minutes at a time whenever I have some spare time, or have a HD big screen experience with easier-to-read text and online.
Choices!

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Can you play local coop with two wiiu controllers? I really want to try this but I want to know if me and my girlfriend can play together.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I just picked this up for the 3DS over the weekend, and it's really really great. Having a blast and it runs flawlessly. Even followed that trick about shutting off the systems 3D in the system settings and having a blast. I played this a bit on the Wii but I couldn't get into it. Also, the Circlepad Pro is kind of a must. I first started without it since I didn't want to dig it out, but it made a world of difference.

garacius

Jun 16, 2009
Just this previous friday I met up with another 3 hunters in my city and we say around for 5 hours getting us from the start of port quests right through our brachyiados urgents. Yes, we had all already reached/beaten our cedeus.

Yah, been playing this series since the PS2 and am still loving it. I should get around too making some longswords, I only have a nice set of lances, hellfire, acrus, tusk, and cedeus horn atm for this iteration and am wearing a set of ingot+.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Spacewolf said:
They've already released a translated version everywhere else. Or is this HD version different? Because the Wii U port is just a HD touch-up with more content.

OT: I'm still debating whether to get this on my 3DS or Wii U. On the one hand I can take the game anywhere, grind for 15 minutes at a time whenever I have some spare time, or have a HD big screen experience with easier-to-read text and online.
Choices!
The HD version is for the PS3, didn't want to have to get a WiiU or 3ds for just one game.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
MONSTA HUNTAH.... Y U NO ON PC!!!!!

Seriously I will NEVER fucking understand the phenomenal stupidity behind franchises like these who just blatantly refuse to release on any hardcore platform. I know there is a PS3 version out SOMEWHERE but good fucking luck getting that one, even amazon has just 1 copy left in stock at the time of writing and it's 90$, yes American dollars, In America, and it doesn't come with a Japanese-English dictionary either.

Seriously people get on porting this game, you could do so much more if you had an actual processor to work with. Imagine individual limb targeting and harvesting. Hunter Blade is a good substitute but why settle for off brand when you can get the real thing?

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
cahtush said:
Why is a dragon hunting a pig in pajamas?
Because Poogie is the unholy avatar of the Random Number God, and he is a harsh and fickle lord in Monster Hunter.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
1337mokro said:
MONSTA HUNTAH.... Y U NO ON PC!!!!!

Seriously I will NEVER fucking understand the phenomenal stupidity behind franchises like these who just blatantly refuse to release on any hardcore platform. I know there is a PS3 version out SOMEWHERE but good fucking luck getting that one, even amazon has just 1 copy left in stock at the time of writing and it's 90$, yes American dollars, In America, and it doesn't come with a Japanese-English dictionary either.

Seriously people get on porting this game, you could do so much more if you had an actual processor to work with. Imagine individual limb targeting and harvesting. Hunter Blade is a good substitute but why settle for off brand when you can get the real thing?
*cracks knuckles* lets see, where can i start...Ok. First up, Monster hunter IS on PC. Yes you have to do some workarounds to play frontier, but its there to play. Cant read Japanese? Go cry in the corner then pansy, real hunters know how to handle shit.

Now lets see..the PS3 HD P3rd version recently came to the Japanese PSN as the Best of series with a decent price-point. Just download it from the Japanese psn. Simple stuff. A lot of english players play it as well, so you have a great chance of finding english players to play with.

Wii U does just fine. I have owned the game for a while now, no complaints, just praise for it. Seems monster hunter does not need this processor you claim is absent. Remarkable.

Last but not least, Since some people never read the interviews, Monster Hunter decided to head to Nintendo platforms due to a disagreement with Sony. Sony demanded achievements, trophies, their own take on the online system. Monster Hunters team said screw you to sony, and went to Nintendo instead since Nintendo was not trying to be a dick (Also remember frontier IS on the 360 in japan. Why isn't it on the 360 in the U.S? They CLAIM its due to an inability to take care of so many players interacting and limited financial support to expand the servers bandwidths for both U.S./E.U. shore, and due to it generally not being hugely popular enough in the U.S. to be able to charge people a monthly fee long enough to survive and support itself), So please, My monster Hunter unite hardcore fans, please get this through you're heads. Sony is the one who basically told them to either submit or fuck off. The MH team refused. You F$%%&^$%^^ Should be proud of them for that. Not ranting and crying like 7 yr olds.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Monster Hunter is a confusing game. The only quests that matter are the quests where you fight long and drawn out battles against (sometimes difficult) monsters who don't always drop the items you need to craft that next piece of armor or weapon you've had your eye on. And why do you do this? To go and fight a different monster for the exact same reasons. Grind on, you crazy diamond.

All that said though, perhaps the most confusing thing of all is why I have continued to play it since the first U.S. installment. >.>

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Sheo_Dagana said:
Monster Hunter is a confusing game. The only quests that matter are the quests where you fight long and drawn out battles against (sometimes difficult) monsters who don't always drop the items you need to craft that next piece of armor or weapon you've had your eye on. And why do you do this? To go and fight a different monster for the exact same reasons. Grind on, you crazy diamond.

All that said though, perhaps the most confusing thing of all is why I have continued to play it since the first U.S. installment. >.>
people crave difficulty. They crave the challenge and grind. Look at the common CoD player. Rank up after rank up to get one more gun, to get one more ability. In monster hunter, its the same grind. The only difference is your not going to sit in a corner and throw grenades at a rathalos. You're going to fight it like a man up close.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Darmy647 said:
1337mokro said:
*cracks knuckles* lets see, where can i start...Ok. First up, Monster hunter IS on PC. Yes you have to do some workarounds to play frontier, but its there to play. Cant read Japanese? Go cry in the corner then pansy, real hunters know how to handle shit.

Now lets see..the PS3 HD P3rd version recently came to the Japanese PSN as the Best of series with a decent price-point. Just download it from the Japanese psn. Simple stuff. A lot of english players play it as well, so you have a great chance of finding english players to play with.

Wii U does just fine. I have owned the game for a while now, no complaints, just praise for it. Seems monster hunter does not need this processor you claim is absent. Remarkable.

Last but not least, Since some people never read the interviews, Monster Hunter decided to head to Nintendo platforms due to a disagreement with Sony. Sony demanded achievements, trophies, their own take on the online system. Monster Hunters team said screw you to sony, and went to Nintendo instead since Nintendo was not trying to be a dick (Also remember frontier IS on the 360 in japan. Why isn't it on the 360 in the U.S? They CLAIM its due to an inability to take care of so many players interacting and limited financial support to expand the servers bandwidths for both U.S./E.U. shore, and due to it generally not being hugely popular enough in the U.S. to be able to charge people a monthly fee long enough to survive and support itself), So please, My monster Hunter unite hardcore fans, please get this through you're heads. Sony is the one who basically told them to either submit or fuck off. The MH team refused. You F$%%&^$%^^ Should be proud of them for that. Not ranting and crying like 7 yr olds.
Challenge Accepted!

Want to explain to me how a work around, which is technically a breach of the TOS which WOULD get me sued is the equivalent of being on PC? I could play MHTri on PC no problem, all I need is a Wiimulator. However is that really a PC port? Not really is it? It is me rigging the game to play on my PC which again is technically a breach of the TOS just by owning the ROM as per Nintendo's orders. You aren't asking me to breach copyright are you :p????

At the same time you cry and whine about how hard it is to have Sony bust down on them. Sony is not present on the PC, not even in Japan. So what is their excuse there? Nothing really. They could easily just port over the 360 version but no. Due to a lack of support for servers on the PC (have people rent dedicated servers problem solved) they can't do that? Puhlease I have been a PC gamer long enough to know bullshit when I hear it.

What I am hearing is allot of excuses and not allot of reasons. Though it is quite funny how poor sales in the US are apparently a good reason to not port it to platforms that would reach their intended audience, I am assuming their intended audience not being kids younger than 11 and adults older that 65 which is basically all you where going to get on the Wii.

I should be proud of a company that refuses to port most of their games to me? Because they didn't want to compromise on a platform that the people that asked them to compromise are not a part of? Again puhlease, I guess I should also be happy about all the American companies that refuse to stream in my country because of "reasons". Oh how principled of them! Let me show them how much I respect them by illegally streaming all the content they refuse to sell me :D

Maybe if they would shell out those 50 extra bucks for spoken dialogue I might not have to learn how to read my 5th language. I would be fine with half understood spoken dialogue but they had to put it in fucking text, have to copy paste the entire text doc into google translate before it's even playable, this is also a breach of the TOS btw, tampering with game files :).

I think you have a bit of the fanboy fever bro. Also it's "like a seven year OLD" not OLDS.