Thief Teaser Steps Out of the Shadows

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief Teaser Steps Out of the Shadows

The first-ever trailer for the new Thief is finally here, but something - or someone - is missing.

After years of waiting, the first real look at Eidos Montreal's take on Thief has arrived and I'm really not sure what to make of it. For one thing, it's very brief and dark, so it's hard to really get an eye on what's happening. But it also seems rather heavy on the action - which, to be fair, isn't entirely surprising, given how difficult it is to make straight-up stealth gameplay interesting in a teaser.

One thing that fans of the franchise will notice straight away, however, is the absence of Stephen Russell, the man who gave memorable voice to Garrett, the game's central character. Garrett is still the protagonist of the new game, but it would appear that a new voice actor has been handed the reins. Knowing the Thief crowd as I do, I suspect this will not go over well with an awful lot of them.

The sword-dodging ninja thing is a bit alarming as well if you come at it from that perspective, but as one disinterested observer put it, "It's a CGI trailer with no sneaking in it," and it's a bit early at this point to start getting too wound up. Besides which, it's been nearly 15 years since Garrett debuted in Thief: The Dark Project; that's an awful long time in the world of videogames and like it or not, things change. Somewhat ironically, it's also been 15 years since David Hayter first put voice to Solid Snake, and his release from that franchise led me mere hours ago to describe Garrett as "inextricably tied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123018-David-Hayter-Not-My-Choice-To-Give-Up-Solid-Snake]" to voice actor Stephen Russell. The universe works in mysterious ways.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
And Glynnis Talken Campbell voiced Kerrigan before she was replaced with Tricia Helfer in SC2.
Is now every voice actor change worthy of a drama?
I seriously didn't know the voice of Garrett was a ?thing?. - Sorry Russell I could not care less.

People apparently get hooked so much on the 3 seconds of action yet avoiding the guard and observing the loot does bypass them. ?Without sneaking?? - Well there it was duh...

Everything about this game looks good to me thus far.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
"This game is anticipated to be rated Mature" I don't know why but that made me laugh really hard.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I actually really liked that trailer. Never played the original games, so I can't even pretend to say how different it is, but from the trailer, i can admire it at least talking about being a ghost in the shadows, preparing traps and the like. Hopefully that actually translates into gameplay though, and isn't just fancy trailer dialogue.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It doesnt really say much, it has sneaking and it has action (that for now is only related to defensive action like traps, dodges and grappling hooks).

Cant really complain there, and Garret doesnt look bad, it fits well with the tone of the world he is in.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Gameplay aside, the loss of The original Garrett SUCKS. To the point where i was originally gonna give this a chance even though the gameplay wont be the same, to now where im over it. completely. no magic sucked, less stealth sucked worse, but no Stephen is a deal breaker.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The voice... I don't know it just doesn't seem the same without Stephen Russell... He just fit Garret, same with David Hayter with Snake.

I just don't see why suddenly they're removing the voice actors that go with their characters. I understand this is a possible "reboot" (well I can't actually say since they haven't said if it's a sequel, prequel, or reboot, been kind of vague), but was the voice change really needed?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I know that it's just a CGI trailer and not actual gameplay, but it did set off some alarms for me.
I hope that they have a very good reason for not having the original VA. I dislike it very much when publishers/developers do this.
I also hope that they won't just make some new ninja game with the Thief logo, and actually make a Thief game instead.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Doom972 said:
I know that it's just a CGI trailer and not actual gameplay, but it did set off some alarms for me.
I hope that they have a very good reason for not having the original VA. I dislike it very much when publishers/developers do this.
I also hope that they won't just make some new ninja game with the Thief logo, and actually make a Thief game instead.
That's my problem... While they did say it's similar... A lot of what they have shown screams "We want to be Dishonored!" Hell the story outside of Garret is a downright copy of Dishonored.

A baron has taken over the city and a plague has set in...

The new Garret doesn't look or sound anything like the original. :( This all just makes me really sad imo. More so since they said they're taking out most of the supernatural elements which made the original unique. The pagans, hammerites, and the Keepers... Going to miss them.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The lack of Stephen Russell is a real shame, particularly since he still does voice acting for video games. However, providing the gameplay is great it's an absence I can deal with.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
No Stephen Russel......*deep breath*

It sucks, and really does affect my interest in this, however despite that, and that this trailer still showed no gameplay, Garret at least looks like garret, the game seems like it got the aesthetic down too, so I guess you could count me as mildy, cautiously curious.

Certainly not a 60 dollar game.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's possible that the voice is just a placeholder. Thief obviously still has a long way to go before it's ready, so it's possible that Russell may yet turn up. It'll be disappointing if not, but surprising too - after all, why cut Russell loose and pick up someone new if he's just going to do a (bad) imitation of the original?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Oh?uh yeah I fear I must rest in the expecting to dislike it but still hoping camp.

No magic and thus old factions will be missing or changed? ok I may be able to roll with it
Garrett voice possible missing? ok could live with it if the character stays true to the original.
The thief energy meter idea like the hitman instinct idea was worrisome.
This looks like dishonored in tone so I hope they keep some of the thief humor.
I hope the game is done in such a way I can turn waypoints off and not be hindered.

Too many ifs? should they come true I may skip it and just play thief 2 instead.
I fear the thief community will be far more upset with this than I and I love the games.

THE LACK OF THE USE OF TAFFER THUS FAR HAS PUSHED ME TOO FAR. WHO ARE THE TAFFERS MAKING THESE ADS?

I swear this only bothers me a little bit?SOB..on the inside.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Nonononononono. This trailer was marvelous, but the lack of Stephen Russel is a big nono. Kudos to this new guy for trying, but it's sad to not see, well, hear, the iconic voice again. Russel IS Garrett. Hope this is just a placeholder.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Kwil said:
jollybarracuda said:
I actually really liked that trailer. Never played the original games, so I can't even pretend to say how different it is, but from the trailer, i can admire it at least talking about being a ghost in the shadows, preparing traps and the like. Hopefully that actually translates into gameplay though, and isn't just fancy trailer dialogue.
If you enjoy stealth games at all, you're missing out having not played the earlier ones. Get thee to GOG.

Most stealth games now seem to think that stealth is achieved if you manage to get out alive without the alarms having been set off, no matter how many enemies you take out (lethally or otherwise) -- and sadly, it looks like this game might be following in those footsteps.

The true brilliance of Thief though was that, if you were good enough, you could get in, get the loot, and get out without leaving any evidence beyond some rumours about the place being haunted.
I really want to try them, and I do love a good stealth game. But every time I try and get myself to make the purchase, I look at a youtube video of them and think "oh...there's something looking dated, and then there's...this". I'm sure they're amazing, and I probably really am cheating myself out of a great game so, next time the series goes on sale, I think I might just have to buy it and finally see what it's all about.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
I still think the german voice of garret in Thief 1 and 2 was the best one. That voice actor was even better then the english one.

Well, but comparing Stephen Russel and the voice in the new trailer I'd say it's a step down. :(

In addition I want to see gameplay before deciding wether or not this game will be any good.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
It's possible that the voice is just a placeholder. Thief obviously still has a long way to go before it's ready, so it's possible that Russell may yet turn up. It'll be disappointing if not, but surprising too - after all, why cut Russell loose and pick up someone new if he's just going to do a (bad) imitation of the original?
You just gave me renewed hope. I mean, they've already turned off fans by removing magic and by changing Garrett's appearance, it's practically suicide if they get rid of his voice as well. I can't see any reason why Russell would turn down the role, or why they wouldn't approach him, so there really isn't a proper explanation.

The trailer was nice though, I'll admit that.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Trailer looks great but doesn't really tell much about the gameplay. Most of it seems to be from cutscenes.

Really, people are getting upset because Garret has another voice? It really is that whole Tomb Raider thing all over again, isn't it? "How dare you change anything this 13 years old character?!?!"
Don't you think all that drama is a bit too drastic?