Bungie's Destiny Learned From Halo's Mistakes

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Bungie's Destiny Learned From Halo's Mistakes

Rather than being lost in its predecessor's shadow, Destiny aims to one-up Halo in just about every way.

Destiny, the next project from the creators of the massively popular Halo franchise, has some awfully big shoes to fill. The developers at Bungie are rising to the challenge of matching and even surpassing the success of their previous games, and that means learning some valuable lessons from the past. The design of Destiny seeks to directly improve on Halo in a number of ways, from co-op immersion to player choice.

"In the same way we're making your heroic story, your legend, that carries over into the cinematics," says design director Joe Staten. "So if you're playing in a co-op way, we're not going to do that crappy thing that happened in the old Halo games where, if you're playing co-op, you don't show up ... you're not the primary role." This should serve as a relief to all the Player Twos who get booted off-screen whenever it's time for important things to happen.

Master Chief was a pivotal character in Halo lore, but players themselves were never asked to make decisions more complex than weapon loadouts - another thing Staten wants to improve on. "Pulling a history into the world was extremely important," he says, "something you felt you were fighting for, the civilization that was once yours that's fallen, that's trying to recover. But it also goes to player choice, too, and not just choices you'd get in a Halo game, the moment to moment of how I'm going to take apart this encounter, what's my combat toolset?" Destiny brings a radically different set of questions to the table, as well as tactical choices. "What kind of character do I want to be in the world? Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series."

None of this is to say that the moment to moment choices in Destiny are getting any less attention. We've seen four distinct races of hostile aliens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122983-Bungie-Would-Like-to-Show-You-Destinys-Aliens], each with a variety of enemy types for players to battle. "Way more characters than we had in the Halo games," Staten continues. "I think with all our systems, most of them are brand new from the ground up, and that includes our AI and the way we script character behavior. Our goal is definitely to give people as diverse a combat experience as possible. Hopefully we're able to pull that off."

Destiny will touch down on current and next-gen consoles when it's complete, though there's no scheduled release window as of yet.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/01/what-bungies-destiny-does-better-than-halo]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I appreciate what they're doing, but I get the feeling I'm in the extreme minority. On this website anyway.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
I appreciate what they're doing, but I get the feeling I'm in the extreme minority. On this website anyway.
I am just trying to temper my expectations. They are talking up this game a lot without showing any real gameplay or giving definitive answers for important questions. It could be that they're simply talking about this game earlier than they should. I think it's going to be a decent game, but I hope that it will be a great game.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
erttheking said:
I like what they're saying I'm just waiting for more actual footage before I get too excited. Still, they seem genuinely excited about, and proud of, the project so far. I just hope the reality can match up to what they're telling us.

I'm sure the game will be at least good. I've enjoyed all of Bungie's past games.

EDIT: Wow, three responses in a row, somebody's popular :p

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So that means their new game will be available on the PC? What no? guess they didn't learn.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, yeah that sounds neat and all. But is that it? I want to help humanity because I am human? Is that my only motivation? I've helped humanity so many damn times in games at this point I'd rather have them exterminated. Maybe then I'd be able to play as a more interesting race.

There better be a far better motivation for saving what's left of humanity than "you are human, so therefore you care".

Cognimancer said:
Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series."
You could choose the gender of your Spartan in the campaign in Halo Reach.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
They didn't learn their mistake of letting me play as one of the gosh darn aliens that want to destroy humanity! I'm tired of playing as people when the aliens are so much better! Let me be one of the gosh darn aliens Bungie!

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Press A to give the baby a lollipop. Press B to punch baby.

The power of choice, in the players' hands!

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Sounds neat.

Once again, looking to wait and see. Things that I felt would go horribly have gone well (e.g. robo-babe EDI) and things that I thought would go horribly have gone fantastically (e.g. Spec Ops: the Line).

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I don't know that this will create a stronger title. I never played Halo for the story. I played it because the FPS gameplay was fun and fast paced. The gameplay itself was very satisfying. If the game starts to be about player choice, then I will be splitting my focus. I'm not saying it can't work. I just think they're missing the point.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Irridium said:
Yeah, yeah that sounds neat and all. But is that it? I want to help humanity because I am human? Is that my only motivation? I've helped humanity so many damn times in games at this point I'd rather have them exterminated. Maybe then I'd be able to play as a more interesting race.

There better be a far better motivation for saving what's left of humanity than "you are human, so therefore you care".

Cognimancer said:
Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series."
You could choose the gender of your Spartan in the campaign in Halo Reach.
Wasn't that just a voice thing? They never showed the face or anything from what I remember

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Oh really?

http://youtu.be/kXnoW2SvQrQ

(Jump to 4:03 for relevancy, but the whole thing is worth watching)

I'm pretty sure how you can easily one-up Halo is if you can win through negotiation or non-lethal force instead of immediately resorting to outright violence. Don't be afraid to make players rely on their brains - It's their fault if they don't want to think through about what they're doing. More importantly Bungie, don't be afraid to wander into territory you're not too familiar with. We'd like to see such a thing from a lot more developers, anyways; it's a costly process, but nonetheless you'll get experience from it.

EDIT: Tried using the Youtube tags, they refuse to load the video.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I will never be convinced of anything anyone's hype machine produces until they show me them putting the game in [insert platform of choice here] and play it. No longer will I trust anyone's word of mouth just because they made something that sold well previously.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
Press A to give the baby a lollipop. Press B to punch baby.

The power of choice, in the players' hands!
this is something that's been nagging at me for sometime, "player choice" has become a really filthy word in my mind it's being thrown around like it's somehow this new revolutionary concept that makes all games better, for instance

what's my combat toolset?" Destiny brings a radically different set of questions to the table, as well as tactical choices. "What kind of character do I want to be in the world? Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series."
What the hell is that supposed to mean? different classes will play differently? well excuse me while I go scrape my brain off the roof from being shocked by this revolution in gaming

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Well the only thing we really know for certain is the art direction is without a doubt outstanding. At east if the concept art and snippets of gameplay we've been shown are anything to go on.

Everything else is just promises and speculation though. I have faith in Bungies ability to deliver a good game, but I'll need to see the game in action before I pass judgement.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Does that include a terrible community?

/sarcasm

Maybe it will be good, maybe it won't; I haven't been keeping up with the news surrounding this game.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Am I the only one more interested in playing in the world before the supposed great collapse of civilization they are talking about in Destiny? It would be kind of neat if us players generated the world they are advertising.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that is an awful lot of faffing about but I can't help but notice 90% of what he said has no impact on the game and the other 10% were vague to the point of irrelevance.

If I had to call it now I'd say this will be a very confused and dull game, concentrating on shit that doesn't matter and the rest missing.

Apr 28, 2008
Marik2 said:
Wasn't that just a voice thing? They never showed the face or anything from what I remember
The character model was also changed. But it's true they didn't show the face. Hopefully Destiny will let us see our character's face, and edit it or something.