Tennant Returns in 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tennant Returns in 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special

Fan favourites David Tennant and Billie Piper will reprise their roles as the tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler in the upcoming 50th anniversary Doctor Who special.

Amidst the excitement surrounding the mid-season premier of Doctor Who's 7th season earlier this week, some interesting information has surfaced about the British sci-fi's upcoming 50th anniversary special. David Tennant and Billie Piper, the tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler respectively, will reprise their roles alongside Matt Smith and newly-minted companion Jenna Louise Coleman. John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, Harry Potter) will also co-star.

Steven Moffat, the lead writer for the show, stated that the special will be shot in 3D, with frequent Who director Nick Hurran behind the helm. The special will feature the Zygons, a race of shape-shifting extraterrestrials. The Zygons were previously featured in the fourth Doctor episode, "Terror of the Zygons" - which presented the aliens as malevolent refugees bent on conquering Earth after a stellar explosion destroyed their home planet.

Doctor Who fans might remember that the last time we saw the tenth Doctor, he created a half-human half-time lord clone of himself and sealed him away in a parallel dimension with companion Rose Tyler. It's highly likely that the 50th anniversary storyline will take place in the parallel universe, as it's the only logical explanation that would see both Smith and Tennant appearing alongside each other (as well as the appearance of Rose).

Moffat had this to say regarding the special:

"The show must be seen to be going forward. It's all about the next 50 years, not about the last 50 years. If you start thinking it's all about nostalgia, then you're finished. It's about moving forward. The Doctor is moving forward, as he always does. He wants to solve the mystery of Clara. He's not thinking about all his previous incarnations and all his previous adventures."

Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) and John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), previous companions of the tenth Doctor, have stated via twitter that they won't be returning for the special. The Royal Mail recently rolled out a collection of Doctor Who Stamps [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122925-Britains-Royal-Mail-Marks-50-Years-of-Doctor-Who] to mark the 50th anniversery of the show.

Source: Screenrant [http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-david-tennant-billie-piper-rose-return/]

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
why isnt jack coming back? i thought barrowman expressed great interest in wanting to be part of the 50th special

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Oh joy, Rose "Sue" Tyler is back. Probably the worst/most annoying companion that's ever been in Doctor Who.

Gruuuugh...

Why?!
You're forgetting River Song.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Simple as that.

Steven Bogos said:
"Terror of the Zygons" - which presented the aliens as malevolent refugees bent on conquering Earth after a stellar explosion destroyed their home planet.
Um... Defiance anyone?

Jun 26, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
You're forgetting River Song.
River Song is pretty bad, yeah. But she's equally annoying as Rose as best, and she hasn't really gotten as much coverage as her so she doesn't grate me as much.

For crying out loud the Doctor cried over Rose for a whole damned season, came back and got her own damn half-doctor!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Barrowmaaaaan! Why didn't they let you in!

Though I've known about Tennant's return for days now this is the first time I hear about Captain Jack certainy not being in it. He was so eager to be in, I don't understand what Moffat was thinking...
Also, no Baker, McCoy or Davison as older parallel-world Doctors? Or at least another chance for McGann to reprise his short appearance as Eight?
Gotta say, I did expect more of this special.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Why did they replace Tennant with giraffe-neck anyway? Too bad Jack (Face of Boe, lol) will not be part of the special

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Oh joy, Rose "Sue" Tyler is back. Probably the worst/most annoying companion that's ever been in Doctor Who.

Gruuuugh...

Why?!
Most annoying companion? Close, but she's no Aldric.

I find myself liking Tennant less and less now we have an alien Doctor like the good old days. I still wanted to see Big Tom have a shouty cameo at least. He wasn't my first Doctor, Wurzel Gummage was, but he has always been my favorite.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ronack said:
I'm losing interest in the special ... No Nine, no Jack, no Martha, no other doctors. What's the point of this episode again? Right, to celebrate fifty years of Doctor Who. GOOD JOB.
Sadly, most people will see David "I don't want to go!" Tennant and forget the fact that that the cast is lackluster.

And then they'll see Billie Piper as

Rose "Sue" Tyler
And squeeeeeee, because she's now the most popular companion ever because...Reasons.

Anyway, I knew the odds against Eccleston were slim, but I was holding out hope. Barrowman (BARROPWMAN! *shakes fist*) is the one that surprises me me, since I thought I had read he was interested.

...On the other hand, the main reason I wanted Barrowman (BARROWMAN! *shakes fist*) was to have Captain Jack in the same room as River Song, and there's no reference of Alex Kingston, so I guess that Fanta...Errr...Dream is gone.

putowtin said:
They were afraid he'd sing again?
Are you kidding? He was awesome as the Nazi in Springtime for Hitler.

Captcha: London Calling.

I hope it's not those farting aliens.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
No Why oh Heavens above why is Rose back. Even for an episode it's too much. Why no Donna?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Tennant? AWESOME.

Rose? Meh, whatever. I don't hold the extreme loathing for her other Who fans seem to, but I wasn't too fussed on her either. Donna was bauss though, which is probably why Davies decided to kill her off. ¬_¬

Zachary Amaranth said:
Sadly, most people will see David "I don't want to go!" Tennant and forget the fact that that the cast is lackluster.
Er, 'fact'? Think you're misusing words there, dude.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
octafish said:

Gruuuugh...

Why?!
Most annoying companion? Close, but she's no Aldric.
Well, TBH, the audience wasn't supposed to think Adric was wonderful the way there are with Rose, nor was he a love interest for the Doctor.