Telltale Reveals Poker Night 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Telltale Reveals Poker Night 2

The game will feature Sam from Sam and Max, Brock Samson from The Venture Brothers, Claptrap from Borderlands, Ash Williams from Evil Dead and Glados from Portal.

Remember Poker Night at the Inventory? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105006-Play-Poker-Win-TF2-Stuff-in-Poker-Night-at-the-Inventory] It was a terrible poker simulator that served only as a platform for some exclusive Team Fortress 2 items, wrapped up with some mildly amusing one-liners from various video game and pop culture mascots. Well, Telltale has announced the sequel no-one really asked for, this time featuring Sam and Max's Sam, The Venture Brothers' Brock Samson, Borderlands' Claptrap and Ash Williams from the Evil Dead franchise, with Portal's Glados playing the role of dealer.

Of course, the game comes with a whole new set of Team Fortress 2 unlocks, [http://www.telltalegames.com/pokernight2/unlocks/steam] as well as some for Borderlands 2. They are:

Brock Samson's hair for Borderlands 2's Gunzerker
Portal Skin for Borderlands 2's Assassin
Poker Visor for Borderlands 2's Siren
Max Mask for Borderlands 2's Mechromancer
Evil Ash Head for Borderlands 2's Commando
The Necrinomicrown for Team Fortress 2's Pyro
The Long Fall Loafers (Chell's boots) for Team Fortress 2's Scout
The Bloodhound (Sam's hat) for Team Fortress 2's Sniper
The Dapper Disguise (Handsome Jack's mask) for Team Fortress 2's Spy
The Samson Skewer (Brock Samson's knife) for Team Fortress 2's Heavy

Poker Night 2 comes out in April on Steam, PSN and XBLA. As well as the in-game unlocks, you will also be able to unlock items for your Xbox LIVE avatar and exclusive PlayStation 3 themes. The age-ratings warnings reveal that it will feature "use of tobacco" as well as violence, gambling, swears and double-entendres.

The last game was pretty awful, with most people just buying it for the unlocks. Hopefully Telltale will actually make a decent poker simulator this time to put behind the character's witty banter. The choice of Claptrap is somewhat of an oddity, given that intense hatred of the character after the first Borderlands relegated him to a much smaller role in the sequel.

Source: Rock, paper shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/03/army-of-laughness-telltale-games-poker-night-2/]

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
What game did you play? Claptrap was featured pretty heavily in Borderlands 2. Divisive, but not universally hated. Besides, he's a great personality which is what these games seem to survive on.

It really is a shame the first game wasn't very good, because the characters really do make it. If it's at the same price point and even marginally better it might be worth a look for that cast, and a few neat items.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Huh. I was pretty much uninterested in this before since I've never played Borderlands 2 and I have no idea who Brock Sampson is... For that matter I've never played a Sam & Max game, or seen Evil Dead. But now that I know that Brock Sampson is voiced by Patrick Warburton and that GLaDOS is the dealer, I'm feeling a lot more interested in the potential banter. And if I'm honest, those unlocks seem pretty nice too; in fact I'm kind of curious about how the Heavy can have a knife melee weapon given that they normally have a hell of a time programming new character animations into TF2.

Also, why was the OP so harsh on the original Poker Night at the Inventory? I mean, it wasn't exactly an inventive game, but what were you expecting? It's poker. With video game (sort of) related characters. Where did it fail to deliver on that?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I like Brock, Ash, Claptrap, GlaDOS and poker well enough. I don't know about Sam and Max.

I don't play TF2 anymore, and haven't been able to play Borderlands 2 since my TV died. Though I was really disappointed with it I hear a lot has changed on the last several months. Not much of it good.

So I see no reason why I would get this. Especially if its Texas Hold 'em. People still play that?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Man I saw Lee in the thumbnail and I thought he'd be in it. I'd get that if he was.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
KoudelkaMorgan said:
So I see no reason why I would get this. Especially if its Texas Hold 'em. People still play that?
Willful ignorance isn't "cute". Texas Hold'em is the main competitive form of poker that huge tournaments play for thousands of dollars in, so yes "people still play that? lol i so funny"

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Whoever wrote this REALLY didn't like the first one...I personally did.
So...while i don't really like Brock Samson And Ash Williams i AM fond of the other characters (Especially Glados and Claptrap).

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I wasn't trying to be cute, I am not trying to be funny and there is a difference between what you perceive as willful ignorance and me truly not giving a fuck about major league poker. I've seen it, its boring as hell, I moved on.

I'm not ignorant of it, I'm simply disinterested in it. I'm much more interested in why a perfect stranger goes on a thread like this and feels the need to make a personal attack against me based on their PERCEIVED and completely self fabricated idea of me, rather than post anything regarding the topic at hand.

I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon universally.

But you ARE the expert on what MY intentions and motivations are so I'll bow to your obviously superior intellect and ignore you, mkay?

On topic: That an option for more than ONE form of poker would be refreshing is what my point was. Because Hold em is a bit stale for some of us. I chose to use sarcasm, because OBVIOUSLY everyone and their grandparents play Texas Hold 'em.

Bertruam

Feb 7, 2009
I enjoyed the first game. It was a decent poker game that I played over and over again just for the conversations. This article is a bit to hostile for my tastes.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
No idea who Brock is but all I can hear is Joe Swanson or Rip Riley :p

I actually rather liked the first Poker Night. Dont get me wrong, the initial purchase was to get the TF2 unlocks but it was cheap and the character interactions were fun. Nice little time-killer, and didnt think it was that bad a simulator (especially for the price).

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'm suprised very few have seen Venture Bros.; to sum up the show, think of it as a dark-humored sitcom set at the end of the Johnny Quest era where reality has kicked in very hard, but still allows for hilarious absurdity to break out.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The number of people on here who haven't seen Venture Bros. is depressing. If I actually played TF2 I'd have a blast mercing people with Brock's knife.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
I don't know if I would call it terrible - the characters gave it some really good personality. Besides, what do you want from a game entitled "Poker Night at the Inventory"? A space adventure?

OT: I would probably get this to hear the new lines they give the characters. It would be nice to see someone from TF2 in this one, maybe the engie or scout.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
What's with the hate for this game? Yeah, it's a fanservice minigame*, but the first one was really entertaining. You play it for the banter, not for the poker, and I had quite a few good laughs there.

* a genre usually defined by little brain, but loads of cleavage - isn't it good to have something a bit different here?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It was a terrible poker simulator that served only as a platform for some exclusive Team Fortress 2 items, wrapped up with some mildly amusing one-liners from various video game and pop culture mascots. Well, Telltale has announced the sequel no-one really asked for, this time featuring Sam and Max's Sam, The Venture Brothers' Brock Samson, Borderlands' Claptrap and Ash Williams from the Evil Dead franchise, with Portal's Glados playing the role of dealer.
Speak for yourself. I'm excited for this. Sure, there wasn't much to the poker aspect, but the interactions between the characters were hilarious (I was a particular fan of the Heavy and Strongbad's conversations) and more than justified the game's already cheap price. And Brock Samson is in this? Sold.

Krat Arona

Jul 12, 2010
Cool opinion column Steve. I'm with everyone else on this one, what game did you play? Seems like a pretty big buttmad rant more than anything.