Anonymous Attacks North Korea

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anonymous Attacks North Korea

Anonymous claims it has hacked and vandalized social networks and other sites in the Hermit Kingdom.

The amorphous internet collective Anonymous claims to have struck a blow against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, better known to the world at large as North Korea. As you may be aware, Kim Jong-un's regime has been rattling its sabers rather loudly, blocking South Korean access to a shared North/South industrial complex and threatening the U.S. with a nuclear attack, which it seems more capable than ever of actually carrying out.

It's a sticky wicket for diplomats, but for Anonymous it's a chance to do a solid for democracy - or at the very least, to stir up trouble with little likelihood of repercussion. The group has claimed attacks on the news site Twitter [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriminzokkiri] account remains a mess, however, with links to hacked sites and an avatar featuring two people dancing and the words, "Tango down." The group also claimed to have accessed 15,000 user names and passwords from the agency's database.

In a "message to North Korea," Anonymous claimed ongoing enmity with the government of the United States but stated that this matter "is not about country vs. country - This is about we, the people, the 99% (of USA and of North Korea) vs oppressing and violent regimes (like USA gov. and N.K. gov)!"

The message includes demands that North Korea stop making nuclear weapons and issuing threats to use them, and that Kim resign and install a "free direct democracy." It also calls for uncensored internet access for all citizens.

"To the citizens of North Korea we suggest to rise up and bring these motherfuckers of a oppressive government down!" the message states. "We are holding your back and your hand, while you take the journey to freedom, democracy and peace. You are not alone. Don't fear us, we are not terrorist, we are the good guys from the internet. AnonKorea and all the other Anons are here to set you free."

It's fairly standard Anonymous fare (including the dire need for a copy editor) but it's an interesting situation to watch because there's virtually nothing impeding its attacks against the North Korean state. If Anonymous can disrupt the regime's activities at any level, I can't imagine the U.S. having much interest in stopping it, which potentially gives Anon a near-limitless laboratory/playground in which to do its thing.

The North Korean army has warned the U.S. that it has been given official clearance to launch a nuclear strike against it, saying that "the moment of explosion is approaching fast" and that war could break out "today or tomorrow."

Source: Al Jazeera [http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/04/anonymous-declares-war-on-north-korea-as-it-breaks-into-the-regimes-twitter-and-flickr-accounts/]

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
My bets is on this little attack doing absolutely nothing.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I'm sure this will wake the whole government of NK up and not add to tensions one little bit.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Anonymous! Setting in motion events that will lead to the death of millions of innocent South Koreans!

...would someone remind me why people support these guys?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Anonymous, please, please, please don't trigger a global thermonuclear war!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
ElektroNeko said:
Genocidicles said:
North Korea has computers advanced enough to connect to the internet?!
Even better question: They can be accessed from outside of North Korea?
I'm sure they have computers in the capital somewhere where the people in charge of the propaganda create it and spread it to the outside world. The rest of the country, however, doesn't even reliably have electricity, let alone internet.

Incidentally, I can't be the only one who thought that in a weird way, this plays into North Korea's hands -- Anonymous called the US an oppressive government, which is exactly what North Koreans are told it is. I'm picturing a new video now talking about anonymous freedom fighters standing up against their oprressive government, with the parts about North Korea also being oppressive being conveniently left out. I saw one of their propaganda videos the other day that claimed the only thing Americans have to eat is coffee made out of melted snow, wild pigeons/whatever other birds you might find in a city (which are rare, because we've eaten most of them), and whatever food North Korea sends our way. I wish I was making this up.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Daverson said:
Anonymous! Setting in motion events that will lead to the death of millions of innocent South Koreans!

...would someone remind me why people support these guys?
You... do realise that North Korea has about 5 computers in the whole fucking country... I doubt many N. Korean citizens even know about this, than alone actually saw the message.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Yeah... kinda don't think this was a good idea. There's already on a razor's edge, do they really need a bunch of first-worlders saying they have similar issues?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
[/spoiler]

Are you trying to cause an international incident, Anonymous? There are nukes at stake here, and you're doing nothing but giving the NK a crap excuse to start a possibly-nuclear war. Do you really think that that Kim will look at this and honestly go "Welp, better give up now. Somebody on the interwebz is DDOSing a website of ours. I'm screwed"?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Even if most North Koreans have computers or internet access (not sure)... why would you make the message in English?
I very much doubt they teach a lot of English in NK.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009

And the very next day north korea launched it's missiles causing America and it allies to go to war leading to an all out battle when china support's north korea due to being afraid of American solider so close by >_<

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
If North Korea ever detonates a Nuke against the USA or South Korea, it will cease to exist as a country. I can't imagine them having that many Nukes, retaliation would be immediate and that would be it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Throwing rocks at the hornet's nest again, eh Anonymous?
Not sure what defacing their social networks will accomplish...

Incidentally: If North Korea fires one nuke, anywhere, whether it hits or not, North Korea will cease to exist within the year.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Really? Telling the North Koreans to rise up because anonymous will support them? Even more full of themselves than usual.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Some of you fail to understand that while N Korea may believe and think it's in the right to make demands and threats with big words but in reality they could be squashed like a mere bug compared to the military the rest of the world has and our allies along with all the nukes we have that actually work.

And besides I'm pretty sure N Korea want the US to acknowledge their actual existence rather than be ignored forever and treated as such, but yeah they are ants compared to other country firepower.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Throwing rocks at the hornet's nest again, eh Anonymous?
Not sure what defacing their social networks will accomplish...

Incidentally: If North Korea fires one nuke, anywhere, whether it hits or not, North Korea will cease to exist within the year.
I think that may be what Anon has in mind, push them until they make a mistake (though Anon's methods may not mean much to the NK government). NK has positioned a medium range ballistic missile on the coast that has the capability to hit SK or japan. The US has been hurrying to deploy missile defense systems near those countries. Even if NK fires something off I don't believe we'll see it do any major damage. Then they will have to deal with repercussions like China potentially dropping support of the country, not to mention the Russian government is getting antsy about the whole situation. If NK makes that mistake, I believe the retribution from all sides will be swift and severe.

captcha: take care

Don't worry captcha, I've got the bunker ready.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
AC10 said:
Even if most North Koreans have computers or internet access (not sure)... why would you make the message in English?
I very much doubt they teach a lot of English in NK.
That was my thought as well, kinda makes it seem more like Anonymous are showing off to Americans rather than actually trying to accomplish anything. Ho-Hum.

Also, calling USA government oppressive might be fine in normal political shouting matches, but doing it in the same sentence as the North Korean Government. Kinda baffling, like talking about the danger of a shotgun in a debate on nukes.