Microsoft, Fox Avoid Killer Instinct Trademark Battle

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Microsoft, Fox Avoid Killer Instinct Trademark Battle

Microsoft and Fox have agreed to share the much-lusted-after Killer Instinct trademark.

Bad news, litigation fans; It seems Microsoft and Fox won't be using lawyer-fu to decide who owns the rights to the words "Killer Instinct." In September of last year, Microsoft announced it was planning to renew the Killer Instinct trademark, which in that case was referring to the short-lived series of fighting games the company acquired alongside Rare Ltd back in 2002. Unfortunately for Microsoft, Fox had already registered a trademark for a TV show of the same name. Neither franchise is particularly relevant - there hasn't been a Killer Instinct game since 1996 and Fox's show didn't even finish airing in the states - so the companies have agreed to share the trademark rather than duke it out in court.

Under the terms of the agreement, which was signed in late march, both companies can use the trademark as long as they don't stray into each other's territory. Essentially, my childhood dreams of a Saturday morning cartoon version of Killer Instinct are now even less likely to come true.

It's still not clear if Microsoft was renewing the trademark just to keep it active, or if there's any kind of plans for the franchise. A full blown sequel is unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of "HD" re-release floating around XBLA in the near future.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534603]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Just fucking re-release the arcade version of the game on Steam because GFWL hates me with a passion!

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Makes sense. Throwing money at lawyers over two properties neither company really plan on making use of is not a smart move.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I wish they would make a new one, that would be so awesome and I'd definitely buy it. Hell, I'd even buy a HD remake and I really hope we get either one of them.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Killer Instinct was a pretty "throw-away" title to begin with, I don't see the value in doing anything else with it, unless Microsoft finds a away to give it NetherRealm-style reboot.

For all it's relevancy, you might as well re-release Eternal Champions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champions], except that game was pretty decent for a Mortal Kombat knock-off.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Fox... and Microsoft... agreed to share?

Somebody check Revelations; this has GOT to be a sign of the Apocalypse!

[small]Also, holy crap, it's been nearly two decades since KI2. Now I feel OLD.[/small]