Zynga CEO Reduces Salary to Keep Top Employees

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Zynga CEO Reduces Salary to Keep Top Employees

The former social game behemoth Zynga is offering larger salaries and bonuses to executives in 2013.

There was a time when social game creator Zynga seemed unstoppable. Everyone was playing Farmville and all the 'villes that came after it, and the company left and right [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114505-Zynga-Officially-Values-Itself-at-1-Billion]. So how does a struggling developer hang onto its remaining top employees? In Zynga's case, the answer is simple: give them more money.

A form 8-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission showed that Zynga's bonuses for top executives were going to work differently in 2013, giving them the potential to earn even more money over the course of the year. As the form explains, "The Company's 2013 executive compensation program is designed to focus on two primary objectives: first, retaining and motivating our talented, entrepreneurial executive leadership team; and second, aligning our executive pay structure with company performance-based incentives. We believe that by focusing on both retention and performance, the compensation packages align with our strategy to build value for our stockholders."

As a result, the base salary for many of these execs has jumped up significantly. An example provided by Inside Social Games [http://www.insidesocialgames.com/2013/04/04/zynga-hopes-to-retain-top-executives-with-bigger-bonuses-tied-to-performance-mark-pincus-new-annual-salary-is-1/] is President of Games Steven Chiang, whose annual pay went from $300,0000 in 2012 to $500,000 in 2013. On top of that, Chiang now has the potential to earn $1.4 million in performance-based bonuses, as opposed to 2012's quarterly $100,000 bonuses. CEO Mark Pincus, on the other hand, has reduced his salary significantly; he'll earn $1 and no bonuses in 2013.

While Pincus' salary reduction seems extreme, desperate times call for desperate measures, and it's not hard to imagine why so many key executives are leaving Zynga. Between offered financial incentives [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122186-EA-Zynga-Settle-The-Ville-Case-Out-of-Court] to keep employees from leaving. It seems unlikely that Zynga will be able to return to its billion-dollar glory days, but time will tell; perhaps hanging onto its remaining execs is exactly what the company needs to do in order to turn things around.

Source: Polygon [http://www.insidesocialgames.com/2013/04/04/zynga-hopes-to-retain-top-executives-with-bigger-bonuses-tied-to-performance-mark-pincus-new-annual-salary-is-1/]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have respect for him for doing that, but to be honest, I'd have a lot more if it was for the average worker who gets criminally underpaid, rather than the people already earning six digit salaries.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I think Zynga could win back fans with good games that are original. Say an adventure game where you collect things and have charming companions to help you with that quest.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
went from $300,0000 in 2012
OT: Would have been better if the money went to the ordinary workers, and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't starve if he never worked again, so only slight props to the man.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I say they should help all their workers get lower rung jobs at proper gaming companies so they can learn how to properly make a game, then let Zynga crash and be forgotten.

Let us forget the whole brief cash cow that was non-games with millions of micro transactions, but leave a foot-note, of warning not to do it, in the game making handbook just in case somebody tries it again.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
It's always sad to see game companies folding. Video games are a young medium and it's sad for them to suffer in ways many film and comic companies have suffered, but i'm sure that advents in digital distribution and the simultaneous success of indie titles and stagnation of AAA titles will lead to things improving. Still, it's sad to see a game company fold.

...oh sorry, i was thinking of something else. I can't say i'd mourn the loss of Farmville's creator. I never did see the point of those social games when there were free to play MMORPGs which looked, sounded, and played better.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
It's absolutely sickening to see the execs get pay raises when the company is near folding, especially in a company like Zynga.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
I may not like any of their games, but I have to give major kudos to this CEO for doing the right thing.