Fan-Made BioShock Infinite Pendants Offer Bird or Cage

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Fan-Made BioShock Infinite Pendants Offer Bird or Cage

Unlike Elizabeth, you can have both of these necklaces inspired by BioShock Infinite.

Bird or cage? This is a choice Elizabeth makes shortly after you find her in BioShock Infinite. Technically, the choice of which pendant to wear is up to the player, and now it's up to you, thanks to a crafty Etsy user [http://www.etsy.com/listing/128142086/bioshock-infinite-birdcage-necklace]. Etsy shop owner Annie Saunders, also known as leagueofshadows, is now taking pre-orders for these bronze bird and cage pendants. Make your choice, or buy them both, so you'll always have one that suits your mood.

The listing describes each piece as "a beautiful bronze filigree setting hung from a delicate 18" bronze chain, secured with a lobster clasp closure, with an image of a bird or a cage (your choice)." They're also available with a brooch backing. The owner notes that these pendants are great for cosplaying, but what I like about them is that they can be worn with a variety of outfits and not look totally out of place. Most of my geeky attire is limited in where I can wear it; my Tartarus t-shirt wouldn't be appropriate in a business casual environment, and my Portal earrings wouldn't really go with a dress for a fancy event. These, however, I think I could get away with.

The pendants are listed at $15 each, which seems reasonable, and will be available in three or four weeks. If you're in the market for some BioShock Infinite jewelry but these just aren't your style, there are some other related items in leagueofshadows' shop [http://www.etsy.com/shop/leagueofshadows?ref=pr_shop_more].

Source: Kotaku [http://www.etsy.com/listing/128142086/bioshock-infinite-birdcage-necklace]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I really like this. I'm curious actually, does it make any difference whatsoever which pendant you choose in the game? Or whether you choose heads or tails for that matter?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
VanQ said:
I really like this. I'm curious actually, does it make any difference whatsoever which pendant you choose in the game? Or whether you choose heads or tails for that matter?
No, I didn't even know there was a heads or tails choice though. It's all a part of some nihilistic bullshit that all choices don't matter because every choice ever is and will be made and creates and has created an alternate reality and timeline, except when the script needs there to be only one choice, which is impossible seeing as a choice involves at least a dichotomy of options, then all of a sudden choice does matter because the script said so

The lockets look nice, would have preferred a fully functional mechanized songbird though.

"FUCK YOU TRAFFIC!!! WEEEEEEEE" Never ending stooooooorryyyyyy, ahahaaa

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
VanQ said:
Besides a few lines of dialogue, it doesn't change anything in the slightest. It's one of Infinite's little flaws that in my opinion, while unfortunate, doesn't do much to make the experience say...inferior to the first game. Still, it's pretty cool that these now exist...I might just pick one up for the sake of hoping to pick up a conversation about the game while in public. xD

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Next I want a songbird plushie, one that looks exactly like they do in the game.

Please somebody make this.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Bah. Pendants. I'd buy one, but I don't think they'd look nice on a male. :I Maybe I could get one for my sister.

I can get behind one of those Shock Jockey rings, though.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I started watching Portlandia recently so all I have to say about this is "Put a bird on it!".

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I like them but I usually like to buy things that are easily recognizable by other gamers but discreet at the same time. For example, I have an AC logo pendant. Anyone who sees it immediately knows its from AC but it's not like the pendant actually reads "OMG ITS ASSASSIN'S CREED! WHEEEEE!". In fact, to other people, it's just a random pendant. But with this one, I doubt even a hardcore Bioshock fan would recognize its origin or would make the connection immediately.

But like I said, they're still awesome.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
1337mokro said:
VanQ said:
No, I didn't even know there was a heads or tails choice though. It's all a part of some nihilistic bullshit that all choices don't matter because every choice ever is and will be made and creates and has created an alternate reality and timeline, except when the script needs there to be only one choice, which is impossible seeing as a choice involves at least a dichotomy of options, then all of a sudden choice does matter because the script said so

The lockets look nice, would have preferred a fully functional mechanized songbird though.

Well, I guess somebody missed the whole "constants and variables" thing that was repeated about a dozen times over the course of the game.

That, and the ending, which

Is all about giving Booker a chance to *choose* not be an irresponsible alcaholic/gambling addict

and there's the thing where...

Booker's choice to ignore his own guilt leads to the existence of Comstalk, basically the power of his choices make or break him as a person.

I could see how a person might miss that theme,

but interpreting it as the exact opposite?

(The Moral choices in Bioshock 1 were shoehorned anyway)

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
$15? Sold. I love the bird. I don't think it'll look good on me, cause I'm a guy, but I'm getting one for the girlfriend. Phase 1 of "Re-create video game character that I am totally in love with" complete.. muhahahaha...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
if they had made one with both patterns, one on each side, you could spin it and it'd look like the bird was IN THE CAGE

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
weirdguy said:
if they had made one with both patterns, one on each side, you could spin it and it'd look like the bird was IN THE CAGE

Thanks, that's what I thought of immediately as well upon seeing this. Now, I haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet, but I have to assume those necklaces are a reference to that optical illusion spinny thing. Why it's non-functional (either just in the jewelry or in the game, too), I wouldn't know, but it seems like a missed opportunity.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Innegativeion said:
1337mokro said:
VanQ said:

Well, I guess somebody missed the whole "constants and variables" thing that was repeated about a dozen times over the course of the game.

Is all about giving Booker a chance to *choose* not be an irresponsible alcaholic/gambling addict

Booker's choice to ignore his own guilt leads to the existence of Comstalk, basically the power of his choices make or break him as a person.

I didn't think there was someone who enjoyed pseudo-philosophy that badly that they would swallow anything without much thought. Not to mention that yes moral choices are always shit because game developers can never incorporate something as complex as a moral system properly into a game. Are you good or evil? A dichotomy once more.

First let me say that I do not wish to engage in a long debate about Bioshock Infinite, I will have my say about it, you will then probably answer it and then we will basically be done. I already finished the game and moved on.

The person I answered asked a question about player choices and I gave him a 100% accurate answer about the player choices in Bioshock Infinite. No matter your interpretation of the story it doesn't change the fact that my answer about the player choices was 100% correct.

Now allow me to explain why it is a bunch of pseudo philosophical bullshit. Oh and prepare yourself this is allot of reading.

You see the very second Booker is offered that choice he creates at least one alternate reality, where the fear of death is so great that he punches Elizabeth in the face and makes a run for it. At the same time there are what 5 or more Elizabeths present who are also all presented with a minimal of a dichotimized choice. What if one of them was unable to go through with killing what is essentially her father.

At the same time we would have to contend with the alternate reality of an evil Elizabeth who would possibly want to stop this, or a brainwashed Elizabeth who when learning of this scheme by peering through time wishes to stop it because "the prophet knows best". In other words the entire experiment is pointless because the answer is and will always be that every choice ever is always made and shall forever exist. Not to mention the AMAZING pointlessness of offering Booker a choice that he ALREADY MADE! They literally tell you in the ending "this Booker refused the baptism", then show you the Booker that did not. In other words they killed one of the Bookers at one point in time and space, somehow influencing the decision of another Booker in the exact same point in time and space, when there already were already other Bookers who made all possible choices and created parallel universes at all points.

Not to mention that if you die even once the Booker that you play as is not the same Booker, but an alternate reality Booker summoned into this world by presumably the Luteces, meaning that you are now playing a Booker who did not make your original choices but is still asked to fill the same shoes, getting what is essentially a memory graft from the dead Booker pasted onto his persona. The implication being here that for one Booker to make a choice the identity of a possible hundreds of Bookers has or is going to be erased depending on player skill.

As for the constants and variables bullshit. Why is Comstock a variable and not a constant? Why is Comstock being a man a constant whilst he himself is a variable? By the very law of variables established by the Luteces there can exist a female Comstock at one point. All that matters is that the events produced by them match up to the constants. So how are they now going to stop alternate reality female Comstock? After all the Luteces are a possible constant, meaning that sex is not a constant. So are they also going back in time for another try at killing female Booker before her baptism?

It is just plain old laziness, narrative laziness of the highest degree. "You see there are infinite amounts of alternate realities, but somethings always happen in them because it's to hard for me to think up a plot without those things!"

In the end the only three actual constants are a lighthouse, a man (kind of sexist there but okay) and a city. These are the ONLY three the game explicitly names, so besides speculation these are the only three we have for certain. So in other words, an ideology is followed, a city created, a man drawn to the beacon of that city, the lighthouse, and then the game happens. However the ideology is never explained or explored in Bioshock Infinite making it fail at it's own constants.

You see when you eventually dig far and deep enough you run head first in the bullshit that it is. Also it is a VERY poorly explored theme in the game. No choice actually influences the game and allows for that theme to be threaded through the narrative. For all it's talk about variables the game is a constant.

In Bioshock 1 objectivism is threaded through the entire narrative and story mechanic. It is explored and thought about. The player is asked to form an opinion about characters who both embody the ideal of the same philosophy but are at odds with each other.

Here it is a bunch of bullshit slapped onto the ending of a game that has thoughtless critics and fanboys creaming their pants over what is essentially something that stoner guy in any 70's comedy would say. Bioshock Infinite in the end is just a new skin draped over Bioshocks bones. The Constants and Variables? That's basically the game telling you it's design philosophy :D

You take the same elements and just switch them up a bit.

Plasmids = Vigors
Water = Sky
Lighthouse = Lighthouse
Objectivism = Religious zealotry infused with racism (Though how Booker went from lamenting and feeling guilty for killing Natives and Chinese to a racist is again something the game just brushes off)

Whatever else actually new in ways of gameplay that they add they just have no fucking idea what to do with. The Songbird is proof enough of that with the way that guy is wasted.

Ph33onix

Jun 4, 2010
1337mokro said:
Innegativeion said:
1337mokro said:
VanQ said:

I didn't think there was someone who enjoyed pseudo-philosophy that badly that they would swallow anything without much thought. Not to mention that yes moral choices are always shit because game developers can never incorporate something as complex as a moral system properly into a game. Are you good or evil? A dichotomy once more.

First let me say that I do not wish to engage in a long debate about Bioshock Infinite, I will have my say about it, you will then probably answer it and then we will basically be done. I already finished the game and moved on.

The person I answered asked a question about player choices and I gave him a 100% accurate answer about the player choices in Bioshock Infinite. No matter your interpretation of the story it doesn't change the fact that my answer about the player choices was 100% correct.

Now allow me to explain why it is a bunch of pseudo philosophical bullshit. Oh and prepare yourself this is allot of reading.

You see the very second Booker is offered that choice he creates at least one alternate reality, where the fear of death is so great that he punches Elizabeth in the face and makes a run for it. At the same time there are what 5 or more Elizabeths present who are also all presented with a minimal of a dichotimized choice. What if one of them was unable to go through with killing what is essentially her father.

At the same time we would have to contend with the alternate reality of an evil Elizabeth who would possibly want to stop this, or a brainwashed Elizabeth who when learning of this scheme by peering through time wishes to stop it because "the prophet knows best". In other words the entire experiment is pointless because the answer is and will always be that every choice ever is always made and shall forever exist. Not to mention the AMAZING pointlessness of offering Booker a choice that he ALREADY MADE! They literally tell you in the ending "this Booker refused the baptism", then show you the Booker that did not. In other words they killed one of the Bookers at one point in time and space, somehow influencing the decision of another Booker in the exact same point in time and space, when there already were already other Bookers who made all possible choices and created parallel universes at all points.

Not to mention that if you die even once the Booker that you play as is not the same Booker, but an alternate reality Booker summoned into this world by presumably the Luteces, meaning that you are now playing a Booker who did not make your original choices but is still asked to fill the same shoes, getting what is essentially a memory graft from the dead Booker pasted onto his persona. The implication being here that for one Booker to make a choice the identity of a possible hundreds of Bookers has or is going to be erased depending on player skill.

As for the constants and variables bullshit. Why is Comstock a variable and not a constant? Why is Comstock being a man a constant whilst he himself is a variable? By the very law of variables established by the Luteces there can exist a female Comstock at one point. All that matters is that the events produced by them match up to the constants. So how are they now going to stop alternate reality female Comstock? After all the Luteces are a possible constant, meaning that sex is not a constant. So are they also going back in time for another try at killing female Booker before her baptism?

It is just plain old laziness, narrative laziness of the highest degree. "You see there are infinite amounts of alternate realities, but somethings always happen in them because it's to hard for me to think up a plot without those things!"

In the end the only three actual constants are a lighthouse, a man (kind of sexist there but okay) and a city. These are the ONLY three the game explicitly names, so besides speculation these are the only three we have for certain. So in other words, an ideology is followed, a city created, a man drawn to the beacon of that city, the lighthouse, and then the game happens. However the ideology is never explained or explored in Bioshock Infinite making it fail at it's own constants.

You see when you eventually dig far and deep enough you run head first in the bullshit that it is. Also it is a VERY poorly explored theme in the game. No choice actually influences the game and allows for that theme to be threaded through the narrative. For all it's talk about variables the game is a constant.

In Bioshock 1 objectivism is threaded through the entire narrative and story mechanic. It is explored and thought about. The player is asked to form an opinion about characters who both embody the ideal of the same philosophy but are at odds with each other.

Here it is a bunch of bullshit slapped onto the ending of a game that has thoughtless critics and fanboys creaming their pants over what is essentially something that stoner guy in any 70's comedy would say. Bioshock Infinite in the end is just a new skin draped over Bioshocks bones. The Constants and Variables? That's basically the game telling you it's design philosophy :D

Plasmids = Vigors
Water = Sky
Lighthouse = Lighthouse
Objectivism = Religious zealotry infused with racism (Though how Booker went from lamenting and feeling guilty for killing Natives and Chinese to a racist is again something the game just brushes off)

Whatever else actually new in ways of gameplay that they add they just have no fucking idea what to do with. The Songbird is proof enough of that with the way that guy is wasted.
Thnak you for phrasing that for me, don't mind if I quote a few lines do you ? It is for a friend.

Also the necklaces look quite nice, wouldn't have minded getting one as a memento had the game not been what it is.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Ph33onix said:
1337mokro said:
Innegativeion said:
1337mokro said:
VanQ said:

Plasmids = Vigors
Water = Sky
Lighthouse = Lighthouse

Thnak you for phrasing that for me, don't mind if I quote a few lines do you ? It is for a friend.

Also the necklaces look quite nice, wouldn't have minded getting one as a memento had the game not been what it is.
I loved Bioshock Infinite, but I have my own reasons for why I -heavily- disliked the ending. They are highly subjective and emotional in nature, however, but it basically revolves around the tone of the ending reveal. I thought it was crass and cruel.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Ph33onix said:
1337mokro said:
Innegativeion said:
1337mokro said:
VanQ said:

Plasmids = Vigors
Water = Sky
Lighthouse = Lighthouse

Nope go ahead. Anything you put on the internet basically becomes public domain instantly :D

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Wow, those are actually really pretty. I wonder if you could make one that has one image on each side to reflect the style of Elizabeth's power from the game? That'd be cool.