Sega Cancels Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Cancels Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

It's time for another round of "game over!" jokes.

A little shy of two months after Sega insisted that the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines had not been canceled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122140-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Wii-U-Hasnt-Been-Canceled] comes word that the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines has been canceled. "Sega can confirm that the Wii U sku of Aliens: Colonial Marines is no longer in development," the publisher said in a statement to GameSpot.

Gearbox President Randy Pitchford claimed in May 2012 that the Wii U release would be the "best-looking" version of the game, but that statement was made prior to its spectacularly disastrous launch. More recently, he said [http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2013/story.html?sid=6405809] simply, "We'll see," when asked whether the game would make its Wii U release date, adding, "That's not our call. I think [developer Demiurge Studios] did amazing work. I think it's really cool, but Sega's got to figure that out."

The decision to pull the plug on the Wii U release probably won't come as much of a shock to anyone. Colonial Marines has a sub-50 Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/aliens+colonial+marines/results] score across the Xbox 360, PlayStation and PC platforms, and slightly enhanced visuals and a funky control scheme only goes so far in compensating for a fundamentally bad game.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/aliens-colonial-marines-for-wii-u-canceled-6406489]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
No real surprise, it'd probably cost them more money than it would earn them considering it's wide-spread reputation.

Did they seriously claim it'd be the best looking version? That in itself should have been a hell of a warning of the graphical quality, although it's not the main criticism it received.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Game over man! Game over!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

OT: And a resounding meh was heard that day. This really doesn't surprise me. With the well-publicized reaming the game has received, I can't imagine anyone wanted to put any more money into it.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Considering the reputation the game and Gearbox have now garnered... yeah this is possibly for the best. It sucks that the WiiU loses yet another game in its library, but I honestly don't think anything of value was lost by this cancellation.

It's kind of funny how Gearbox went from being relatively well liked after Borderlands 2(which is a fantastic game... for me at least) to being one of the most reviled developers in the industry.

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
I can't say I'm surprised, what with all the other versions being so rubbish I doubt the Wii-U version would have been any better.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Tank207 said:
Considering the reputation the game and Gearbox have now garnered... yeah this is possibly for the best. It sucks that the WiiU loses yet another game in its library, but I honestly don't think anything of value was lost by this cancellation.

It's kind of funny how Gearbox went from being relatively well liked after Borderlands 2(which is a fantastic game... for me at least) to being one of the most reviled developers in the industry.
I'm sure Gearbox meant well to pick up two projects that went through development hell. However, things went sour. If there's one lesson to know about Gearbox, it's to not buy a game that went through development hell unless it's proven to not be bad.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
And there was much rejoicing.

I just hope they don't cancel Gearbox along with it. Disasters aside, Gearbox can do some pretty good stuff when they put their minds to it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And absolutely nothing of value was lost.

SEGA/Gearbox would've just lost more money and reputation, and while the Wii U would've had one more game to play, it would've been absolute shit.

Best move for everyone concerned methinks.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Tank207 said:

Nah, they're not really reviled, or even disliked. They're just under suspicion of producing shit along with the occasional gem, ie they're not as trustworthy as they used to be. You have to be careful with their releases because right now they seem to be hit and miss.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Wait? This this was still going to HAPPEN until TODAY? Did no one at Sega look at Metacritic? Or you know the internet?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Congratulations, Wii U owners! You DID get the best version of the game: the Cancelled Version.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It's hardly surprising is it? There was no way it was gonna do well after the spectacular fuck up of the other versions.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
slash2x said:
Wait? This this was still going to HAPPEN until TODAY? Did no one at Sega look at Metacritic? Or you know the internet?
To be fair if I was Sega I would ignore metacritic too, at least the "gamers reviews" anyway.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
slash2x said:
They don't say why, and I don't ask.
I don't ask because it takes two weeks to get an answer out here,
and the answer's always "don't ask."
Can I point out that the main developer for Duke Nukem, once it got to Gearbox Software, heralded it as the best thing to happen to gaming since Half-Life 2?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Gearbox was right. The WiiU has the best version of A:CM. The canceled one.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=1]another nail in the coffin?[/HEADING]
Probably not, but this is not about Gearbox. It's about the publisher. SEGA could not forecast a profit on a supposed major platform (Wii U) with such a mediocre game. So only AAA-grade super quality games will succeed on the Wii U. Goodbye Indie.

[HEADING=2]Nintendo needs to fire it's President, Satoru Iwata. [http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/][/HEADING]

So with Xbox720 requiring an always online connection [http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/microsoft-executive-always-online-xbox-critics-deal-it-1B9231940], and with the Wii U being a dumpster fire all by itself, the PS4 looks to be having the brightest future. Who would've thought that six months ago.

(How about me!)