Relic Details Company of Heroes 2 Pre-Order Bonuses

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Relic Details Company of Heroes 2 Pre-Order Bonuses

All collector's edition pre-orders will receive the Theatre of War mini-campaign, along with some other goodies depending on where you buy it from.

Company of Heroes was a critically acclaimed RTS from Relic games, set in World War 2 and utilizing a unique squad-based area-control mechanic that set it apart from other RTSs. The sequel is coming in June of this year, and if the promise of more Soviet vs German action isn't enough to entice you, Relic has detailed the pre-order bonuses for all versions of the game.

Every collector's edition pre-order will come with the Theatre of War mini-campaign, which allows players to experience a new single player story from another part of the war. This campaign will not be available at launch, and will be released at a later date. The two different flavors of the game (standard and collector's) will also receive a suite of extra bonuses depending on where you buy it from. Here's the full list

Steam Pre-Orders
Standard Edition
Tier #1 - Team Fortress 2 Item Bundle, Soviet Hat and German Hat, Soviet Badge and German Badge
Tier #2 - Dawn of War II Retribution
Tier #3 - Company of Heroes 2 Commissar Chest: $5.00 Premium Currency, XP Boost, Unit Boost, Commander Archetype
German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad Pattern Bundle
Guaranteed Beta Access
Collector's Edition
Everything in the standard edition plus:
Company of Heroes Collector's Soviet and German Cap and Badge
German Whitewash and Russian Winter Cobblestone Pattern Bundle
Veteran Badge
Company of Heroes Collector's Pack - Includes the original Company of Heroes and all its expansions
Theatre of War Mini-Campaign
Origin Pre-Orders
Standard Edition
German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad Pattern Bundle
Guaranteed Beta Access
Only on Origin Russian Bryansk Front Pattern
Collector's Edition
Everything in the standard edition plus:
Command Pass
Company of Heroes Collector's Pack - Includes the original Company of Heroes and all its expansions
Theatre of War Mini-Campaign
German Whitewash and Russian Cobblestone Front Pattern
Veteran Badge
Retail Pre-Orders
Standard Edition
Amazon.com, Gamestop
German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad vehicle bundle
Best Buy
The original Company of Heroes game (with no expansions)
Best Buy Exclusive German Disruptive Pattern
German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad vehicle bundle

The three tiers of Steam pre-order rewards seems to suggest that there will be a similar promotion to the recent BioShock Infinite pre-order campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122770-BioShock-Infinite-Steam-Pre-Orders-Now-Include-a-Copy-Of-XCOM], which featured increasing tiers of rewards based on how many pre-orders it received. Steam currently has the release date listed as June 26.

Source: Pre-Order Company of Heroes [http://www.companyofheroes.com/preorder]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Now if only they'd make it work on Windows XP I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I love the series.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, when I see $5 in premium currency being added as a bonus any interest I might have had goes flying out the door. Seems like another single player game/non-MMO multiplayer game they are going to try and tie micro transactions into. If you want the full game, even as far as colors and such go, they are probably going to make you pay extra money constantly, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes beyond that, I'm looking at how "Dead Space 3" harassed you with farming respawning "glitch" items apparently if you wanted to fully upgrade your gear without paying them. I have this odd vision of your factory/unit creation buildings all having a "spawn this unit faster, pay X amount of microtransaction currency" button even in single player.... It probably doesn't go that far, but even if they plan to nickel and dime you for more patterns and such that's going too far IMO. The whole "we'll give you premium currency as a bonus" thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

While a much lesser issue I also get a censorship vibe from this. I notice a tendency to say "Germans" instead of "Nazis" here, in terms of things like "German Hat". This makes me wonder if the point is that they plan to remove all the Swatstikas and Nazi emblems from everything to "avoid offense" despite the fact that your you know... dealing with the Nazis/wearing Nazi uniform pieces/whatever. I mostly thought of it because I remember they did something similar with the Lego Indiana Jones games, which inspired some serious "WTF" responses from me and a few others.

Not to mention that while I'm not the biggest fan of Germany in general, I'd actually find it more offensive to say "German" rather than referancing a specific party that happened to control the overwhelming majority of Germany during a specific time period, and which no longer exists, at least as a major force. It's an odd distinction to think of for many people I suppose, but there you go. Honestly I probably only thought of it because of the discussion of Lucasarts recently and the Indiana Jones liscence, etc... but I did think of it, and now I can't help but wonder.

At any rate, this is a game I'll probably be passing on, even if it otherwise looks great in the long run. Far more because of the microtransactions that my other pondering.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Therumancer said:
Well, when I see $5 in premium currency being added as a bonus any interest I might have had goes flying out the door. Seems like another single player game/non-MMO multiplayer game they are going to try and tie micro transactions into. If you want the full game, even as far as colors and such go, they are probably going to make you pay extra money constantly, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes beyond that, I'm looking at how "Dead Space 3" harassed you with farming respawning "glitch" items apparently if you wanted to fully upgrade your gear without paying them. I have this odd vision of your factory/unit creation buildings all having a "spawn this unit faster, pay X amount of microtransaction currency" button even in single player.... It probably doesn't go that far, but even if they plan to nickel and dime you for more patterns and such that's going too far IMO. The whole "we'll give you premium currency as a bonus" thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

While a much lesser issue I also get a censorship vibe from this. I notice a tendency to say "Germans" instead of "Nazis" here, in terms of things like "German Hat". This makes me wonder if the point is that they plan to remove all the Swatstikas and Nazi emblems from everything to "avoid offense" despite the fact that your you know... dealing with the Nazis/wearing Nazi uniform pieces/whatever. I mostly thought of it because I remember they did something similar with the Lego Indiana Jones games, which inspired some serious "WTF" responses from me and a few others.

Not to mention that while I'm not the biggest fan of Germany in general, I'd actually find it more offensive to say "German" rather than referancing a specific party that happened to control the overwhelming majority of Germany during a specific time period, and which no longer exists, at least as a major force. It's an odd distinction to think of for many people I suppose, but there you go. Honestly I probably only thought of it because of the discussion of Lucasarts recently and the Indiana Jones liscence, etc... but I did think of it, and now I can't help but wonder.

At any rate, this is a game I'll probably be passing on, even if it otherwise looks great in the long run. Far more because of the microtransactions that my other pondering.
That $5 of premium currency could mean a lot of things. Yeah, it most likely ties into microtransactions somehow, but given that this is a strategy game I'm betting it's something like decals for your Tiger Tanks or something along those lines.

And yeah, it's accurate that they say German and not Nazi. Most Germans in those days weren't Nazis.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's overly complex bullshit like this that makes me buy used games, or wait till the "Super Collector's Edition: All Our DLC Plus Patches Out Of The Ass - V2.42" comes out a year or two later.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
PrinceOfShapeir said:
That $5 of premium currency could mean a lot of things. Yeah, it most likely ties into microtransactions somehow, but given that this is a strategy game I'm betting it's something like decals for your Tiger Tanks or something along those lines.
you can probbly just call them wehrmacht as there may be more Axis factions added in later

As for the microtrasactions. This started off as a THQ game it's gona have $0.99-$2.99 cosmetic micro transactions out the ass. (See DOW:II and Space Marie, Home Front,& Saints row:3)

As this is a RTS based around the multiplayer it's not the worst idea.

Hopefully they are not going to go full retard on this and try to remake COHO that you have to pay $60 at the start but judging by the beta so far it dose not seem to be the case.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Don't buy into this, just await solid beta feedback at a very minimum, at best, wait for reviews from reviewers capable of genuine critical thought to come out before buying it. Basically, wait for the game to prove itself as actually being any good at all before handing it your ?50.

Or at least await the bloody WTF is... from TB. =P

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
Don't buy into this, just await solid beta feedback at a very minimum, at best, wait for reviews from reviewers capable of genuine critical thought to come out before buying it. Basically, wait for the game to prove itself as actually being any good at all before handing it your ?50.

Relic has a very good track record with prerelease feedback, and their last two games had extensive betas that received good reviews. I'm not saying that we should ignore the beta feedback, but we can at least be optimistic about this.

I also like that Relic are continuing their policy of "don't screw players out of content". The mini campaign is a preorder exclusive for now, but will be released to the rest at a later time. Same as their Dawn of War 2 method where one person having a certain set of DLC would not prevent them from playing with another player who did not share the DLC.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Who's going to be dumb enough to buy that? wait! Suspect many escapists will even though it seems to be a carbon copy of the original.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
mad825 said:
Who's going to be dumb enough to buy that? wait! Suspect many escapists will even though it seems to be a carbon copy of the original.
I'm not sure if you're joking but I'll bite anyway.

It has the Essence Engine 3.0 going for it which is not only a graphical improvement but an inclusion of ColdTech which implements the weather, Russian winter, into the gameplay. Frozen lakes can be cracked, units can freeze to death and tanks can get trapped. Just as exciting, however, is TrueSight which is basically a more realistic line-of-sight system. What your units would be able to see, you can too.

ColdTech and TrueSight, if pulled off well, will be a blast to play with and is quite frankly more than I expected from an RTS sequel.

tl;dr

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
PrinceOfShapeir said:
And yeah, it's accurate that they say German and not Nazi. Most Germans in those days weren't Nazis.
Wouldnt the right name be Wehrmacht since we are talking about the army?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I love the original but I'll not get CoH 2 if my suspections about the "premium currency" and the exp boosts are true.
For anyone interested why: look up "company of heroes online", which was basically a F2P reboot of the original CoH. I don't know if it even left beta but it sucked big time.
Purchaseable ingame-boosts for your units in a strategy game are simply bad design.

Plus a purchase price of 55+ ? just so I can then play a pay2win game? Well, ok... calling it pay2win already is maybe a bit too soon. Still, I'll wait for full reviews etc.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
sell your soul for for TF2 hats? i would not... AND YOU GUY'S SHOULD NOT EITHER! preorders will just burn ya!

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Pedro The Hutt said:
Won't be happening, since SEGA bought Relic after THQs death.

As far as I know he still keeps that boycott up.

OT: Won't preorder this, as I never would preorder anythign anyway. Especially after A:CM, which was also SEGA-published. I will wait for the reviews and maybe buy it then if it looks like a good game. I liked the first one.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I couldn't help but notice that the CoH 2 Steam store page doesn't seem to reflect this information at all. It doesn't even make mention of a Collector's Edition. Am I missing something?

jackdaniel0001

Jun 8, 2011
Therumancer said:

In Germany, having Nazi symbols showing up is illegal, it would probably be easier to design the the whole game around this restriction rather than releasing a separate version just for Germany.