Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter Doubles Its Goal

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter Doubles Its Goal

Shroud of the Avatar, Richard Garriott's upcoming spiritual successor to the Ultima series, has raised an impressive $2,049,849.

It seems that Ultima fans were completely unfazed by Richard "Lord British" Garriott's comments that "most game designers really just suck" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122800-Update-Richard-Garriott-Most-Game-Designers-Really-Just-Suck], as they have thrown over 2 million dollars towards his upcoming RPG Shroud of the Avatar. The Kickstarter closed at $1,919,275, and a further $130,000 of non-Kickstarter pledges were gained from the Shroud of the Avatar official website, bringing the total up to $2,049,849 and doubling the initial Kickstarter goal of $1 million.

Stretch goals reached during the drive include new shipping and naval exploration areas, a serialized Tracy Hickman novel, a pet system, a new island and castles and keeps for players to take and fight over in PVP. "This game would not be possible without your dedication and feedback - what a fantastic experience it's been to interact with all of you, learning what is most important and desired in our new world," states an announcement from the Shroud of the Avatar, informing those who missed out on the Kickstarter that they can still pledge a donation via the official website. [https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/]

Richard Garriott previously stated that he didn't really need the money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122635-Richard-Garriott-Explains-Why-He-Needs-a-1-Million-Kickstarter] from the Kickstarter at all, and was simply using it as a "self-selection process" to bring dedicated fans into the development process. He says that he wants his fans to guide the direction of the game, rather than profit-focused publishers. Nonetheless, he says the money will be put to good use for the game's development.

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue will be the first game in a five game series, and should launch in October, 2014, with the other four installments releasing annually afterwards. While the game will have "mmo-like features," it will be on a buy-to-play model, meaning after purchasing the game you won't have to pay any kind of subscription fees.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0]

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I guess all that free advertising he got from saying controversial things on gaming websites really paid off then. I am still holding my breath on this kickstarter bubble. Waiting for the day when everyone who promised awesome stretch goals becomes Peter Molyneux. Get it while the gettings good I guess.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Honestly watchin his videos and reading his rambling about this, he kind of struck a chord with me. Seems he's as nostalgic for how 'free' and player driven the original Ultima Online was before it got more and more turned into a normal MMO.

Redworld13

Jul 27, 2010
I haven't posted on the escapist for awhile but anyway, i know objectivity is more an ideal then something you can achieve, but the author of this article really has tried to put this in a very negative light. If people didn't trust,believe or understand what Garriot's trying to do with this, then they wouldn't have pledged and he wouldn't have 2 million dollars from it. Im not really trying to make a point here, but at least give it the same chance you guys seem to be giving 95% of all other kick starters. We weren't worried about Chris Roberts kick starter, even though the guy hasn't made a game in years.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
If it's going to be like Ultima Online(I keep hearing all sorts of praise on it) then sure. Go Garriott.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Not that I have anything against the guy but isn't he filthy stinkin' rich...Like, can afford to go into space rich?
So he comes to kickstarter and asks the people to take the monetary risk instead of himself (appropriate captcha: seems legit)

Oh well, if people want to throw their money at something I'm not gonna stop it.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
Not that I have anything against the guy but isn't he filthy stinkin' rich...Like, can afford to go into space rich?
So he comes to kickstarter and asks the people to take the monetary risk instead of himself (appropriate captcha: seems legit)

Oh well, if people want to throw their money at something I'm not gonna stop it.
Garriot's...a nutter. I'm not trying to justify him asking for money when he could just as easily fund it himself, but given his...runaway quirkyness, it's entirely possible he just can't wrap his mind around 'not' having someone helping him, publisher or fans etc, whatever.

And it does sound like 'misses the glory days of UO'. well, so do I, so why not help one of our favorite lunatics make his dreams a reality?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ilikemilkshake said:

He stated that he was really only doing the kickstarter so that people could buy in to the game early. He wants to make a game that is directed by the fans, rather than directed by the publisher.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Redworld13 said:
I haven't posted on the escapist for awhile but anyway, i know objectivity is more an ideal then something you can achieve, but the author of this article really has tried to put this in a very negative light. If people didn't trust,believe or understand what Garriot's trying to do with this, then they wouldn't have pledged and he wouldn't have 2 million dollars from it. Im not really trying to make a point here, but at least give it the same chance you guys seem to be giving 95% of all other kick starters. We weren't worried about Chris Roberts kick starter, even though the guy hasn't made a game in years.
I'm sorry it came across as such, I am actually genuinely excited for this game! However, a LOT of people thought that his recent comments would cause a lot of negative backlash for his kickstater, but it appears to not be the case! I am more incredulous that he still managed to raise so much money after shooting himself in the foot, than negative of his work.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Redworld13 said:
If people didn't trust,believe or understand what Garriot's trying to do with this, then they wouldn't have pledged and he wouldn't have 2 million dollars from it. Im not really trying to make a point here, but at least give it the same chance you guys seem to be giving 95% of all other kick starters. We weren't worried about Chris Roberts kick starter, even though the guy hasn't made a game in years.
*snigger*

Money doesn't talk, at least on kick starters. You're contributing a small amount and you expect to get something big in return, that's the bases of the psychology behind kick starters;Decision theory. For better or worse.

There are sceptics but ask me this; What good games has he made? Why recent were they? I could direct you to Movie Bob's article Kickstopper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10234-Kickstopper] where he rants that people are indiscriminately and senselessly spending money on projects within kickstarter but apparently Garriott didn't need the 1mill so shouldn't he have started on the "stretch goals"?

All you need is good marketing and the game can go for shit for all they care. Sorry, where have you been for the past decade?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

He stated that he was really only doing the kickstarter so that people could buy in to the game early. He wants to make a game that is directed by the fans, rather than directed by the publisher.
Or he could direct it himself and be beholden to noone? and If that's really the case, why the stretch goals? Surely he could put in the extra $0.5mil himself and make the best game possible for his fans and include everything he envisioned?

I'm probably sounding more argumentative than I mean to but still, I think if he was really serious about doing this for the fans he wouldn't have stretch goals, and he could've at least funded a demo/prototype before bringing it to kickstarter (if that's feasible).

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Is it bad that the thing I look forward to most about this is the interview Spoony is going to do with him?

Redworld13

Jul 27, 2010
mad825 said:
Redworld13 said:
If people didn't trust,believe or understand what Garriot's trying to do with this, then they wouldn't have pledged and he wouldn't have 2 million dollars from it. Im not really trying to make a point here, but at least give it the same chance you guys seem to be giving 95% of all other kick starters. We weren't worried about Chris Roberts kick starter, even though the guy hasn't made a game in years.
*snigger*

Money doesn't talk, at least on kick starters. You're contributing a small amount and you expect to get something big in return, that's the bases of the psychology behind kick starters;Decision theory. For better or worse.

There are sceptics but ask me this; What good games has he made? Why recent were they? I could direct you to Movie Bob's article Kickstopper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10234-Kickstopper] where he rants that people are indiscriminately and senselessly spending money on projects within kickstarter but apparently Garriott didn't need the 1mill so shouldn't he have started on the "stretch goals"?

All you need is good marketing and the game can go for shit for all they care. Sorry, where have you been for the past decade?
Money always talks... You're expecting to get something big? You're getting the game you pledged for, if you have trust in the developer then you pledge more and get something extra. What good games has he made? the ultima series ,UO and tabula rasa (which wasn't as bad as people seem to claim it to be) Why recent were they? ...... ok... Movie bob? Movie bob is a movie critic and reviewer, not a video game journalist. Where have i been the past decade? kick starter hasn't been around for a decade, at least not in the fashion it is now, ive been playing games, enjoying them and not arguing about them for stupid reasons.

Redworld13

Jul 27, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Redworld13 said:
I'm sorry it came across as such, I am actually genuinely excited for this game! However, a LOT of people thought that his recent comments would cause a lot of negative backlash for his kickstater, but it appears to not be the case! I am more incredulous that he still managed to raise so much money after shooting himself in the foot, than negative of his work.
After re-reading your post i must admit, i was probably wrong to jump the gun on that, i apologize:(

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Kalezian said:
anyone who played UO pre-EA's pandering to the carebears is nostalgic about how free it was.

name me one game, one MMO, where you could play a disarm thief, steal a persons equipped weapon, then beat him to death with it.

or, steal their healing items during battle and win via attrition.

but now everything can be saved, so there is no point of the thief skills.

OT: god fucking DAMNIT, I cant start playing another MMO, I still have a huge backlog of games that I have yet to even open yet.

RICHARD, QUIT MAKING ME WANT TO THROW MONEY AT YOU!
I never threw the term 'carebear' around, but I owned a tower. it was in the forest clearing NW of britain, south of that mountain pass everyone used. I had it set up as an inn/tavern, guards were enabled, and it was ALIVE. people stopped by, I was a tailor, I had a secondary building next door for my vendor, we even held tournaments sponsored by the United Brittainian Blacksmiths Guild...valorite full plate to the victor!

trammel and feluccia ended it. with no real risk of PVP (uness you WENT there...) what purpose does a nice, safe building serve...?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Redworld13 said:
Money always talks... You're expecting to get something big? You're getting the game you pledged for, if you have trust in the developer then you pledge more and get something extra.
Why do you think everyone makes that assumption? Why don't we just ignore that you're getting the game at a discounted price. Not everyone buy something for the same reason but you've derailed this discussion.

What good games has he made? the ultima series ,UO and tabula rasa (which wasn't as bad as people seem to claim it to be) Why recent were they? ...... ok...
Yet again, you've missed my point.

Gaming has changed on a technical level(from mostly 2D to 3D). Even so, most legacy developers today do not posses the same straights as they did before.

Yeah...Having an MMO that lasted barely 2 years isn't inspiring.
Movie bob? Movie bob is a movie critic and reviewer, not a video game journalist.
Derailed again...What he is, isn't the point. Neither was he commenting on computer gaming but rather the social trends of modern Digital consumerism i.e problems with kick starter.

Where have i been the past decade? kick starter hasn't been around for a decade, at least not in the fashion it is now, ive been playing games, enjoying them and not arguing about them for stupid reasons.
Derailed again....The gaming industry has changed, it's emphasis on marketing is more apparent.

Don't bother replying if you're going to continue this BS. I would like to question your objectivity, there are alot of fishy things about this project like how he proclaims his game to be "innovative" or about he "didn't need the money" and how "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series" (episodic gaming as we know it). Do the funders get all 5? Is there going be another kickstarter for the next episode?

Avatar: Forsaken Virtue just may be a taster, demo, a marketing tool.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really love those typical concept arts that are about huge structures that when the game actually comes out they are just about the usual unimpressive size that merely blends with the rest of the scenario.

The only game that has had a sort of "Wow" reaction out of me with their statues and monuments is Brutal Legend

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Also one of the stretch goals met states that Noah "Spoony" Antwiler will have an interview with Richard Garriot as well:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/04/04/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-kickstarter-deadline-coming-up/

He seems pretty stoked about it.