GTA IV's Iron Man Mod Is Exactly What You Hope It Is

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
GTA IV's Iron Man Mod Is Exactly What You Hope It Is

Step aside, Niko - Liberty City is about to meet Tony Stark's personal brand of justice.

With all his guns, gadgets, and snark, you'd think that Iron Man would be perfect for his own in-depth video game saga. Unfortunately, so far he's only appeared in mascot brawlers and a couple forgettable movie tie-ins. Two Marvel fans evidently decided that that wasn't good enough, and took it upon themselves to mod the iconic power armor into Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto IV. If you've ever wanted to fly through a sandbox city fighting crime (or more likely, causing it) as Tony Stark himself, now's your chance.

The mod, somewhat confusingly titled Iron Man IV, features several varieties of the Iron Man armored suit, from previous models of Tony Stark's armor to other famous robots like War Machine and Stan Lee. Players will have a hefty arsenal at their disposal, with miniguns, dart launchers, mini rockets, and repulsor beams. And it just wouldn't be Iron Man if you couldn't use the armor's thrusters to propel yourself at ludicrous speeds through the city's skies - which you totally can. The mod even transforms the game's HUD to Stark's holographic display, though there's sadly no sign of JARVIS.

Aside from the addition of these suits and weapons, it's still Grand Theft Auto, and the rest of the game is more or less the same. No supervillains have set up shop in Liberty City so there are disappointingly few appropriate targets for your new ordinance, unless you don't mind watching Iron Man go berserk on civilians and cops (who will actually deploy some power armor of their own). On the other hand, the mod supports online multiplayer, so you can always grab a friend and duke it out as Iron Man versus War Machine.

Owners of Grand Theft Auto IV on PC can grab the mod for themselves right here [http://www.gta4-mods.com/player/iron-man-iv-f20834]. And if any of you happen to be experienced GTA modders, a single-player Iron Man campaign would not go amiss. Just saying.

Source: DSO Gaming [http://www.dsogaming.com/news/gta-iv-mods-iron-man-iv-released-the-most-intense-and-immersive-pc-mod-ever/]

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012

Pretty darn cool I must say. The flying just looks so much fun.

I've also just seen this funky number;

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hey, if GTA V really doesn't come out for PC, can we mod GTA V into GTA IV? We already did that with SA, right? :D

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Looks cool, and almost makes me want to re install GTA4

However, i feel this would have been more appropriate for a certain other sandbox game that focuses more on the goofy side. Maybe the cops would stand a chance then.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Great. But i can't play it on PC because i am using Windows 7.
Seriously Rockstar, get your shit together.

Sep 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Hey, if GTA V really doesn't come out for PC, can we mod GTA V into GTA IV? We already did that with SA, right? :D
Because if PC gamers can't have GTA V, you can be dam sure they will mod it.
...was that a tony stark quote you were workin in there? the whole "if we can't save it, you can be damn sure we'll avenge it"

OT: This is cool but i'd rather have had this mod for just cause 2 or something else, i prefer the physics and feel in those games, but this is still really awesome!

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Whether or not you're interested in this mod, consider picking it up before it's nuked from orbit by lawyers. Then seed it.

I don't have GTAIV. I don't like its superfluous-to-Steam securom DRM, so I'm out in the cold for good. But I'll still seed this mod when it gets torn down. Looks absolutely awesome.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Publisher releases new costume or new vehicle: $2 DLC

Fans release mod that let you play as IRON MAN: Free

I'd not be surprised if Modding games is the next big industry boogie man. I still feel rather ripped off with Skyrim's DLC packs... I mean hell ?20 for Dawnguard which gave us one or two nice zones compared to a modder who turned all of Skyrim into a lush tropical jungle FOR FREE.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I must have some conflicting mod. When I go into flight mode, I find myself rocketing across the sky on a moped.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Cognimancer said:
The mod, somewhat confusingly titled Iron Man IV, features several varieties of the Iron Man armored suit, from previous models of Tony Stark's armor to other famous robots like War Machine and Stan Lee.
Robot Stan Lee?

I would totally play that..... :)

I cannot be the only one who caught that.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
For some reason game producers have the misconception that they think an 3. person over the shoulders iron man game is cool. Let me just say it is not, give me crysis engine with iron man and ill be happy.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Longstreet said:
Looks cool, and almost makes me want to re install GTA4

However, i feel this would have been more appropriate for a certain other sandbox game that focuses more on the goofy side. Maybe the cops would stand a chance then.
plus, i think heavy armored vehicles, rpgs, and helicopters with snipers are more of an appropriate response anyway

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Mods like this make me wonder how people can even stand to claim that consoles are better for gaming than PC. In my mind it's like saying the horse is a better way to get around than a car - Sure, you can do nearly the same thing, but you'd be much better off with the latter.

After all, most PC games that are also on console probably have controller compatibility, so it's not like that's a reason to prefer consoles.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
frobalt said:
Mods like this make me wonder how people can even stand to claim that consoles are better for gaming than PC. In my mind it's like saying the horse is a better way to get around than a car - Sure, you can do nearly the same thing, but you'd be much better off with the latter.

After all, most PC games that are also on console probably have controller compatibility, so it's not like that's a reason to prefer consoles.
But it's also crazy to think people will just drop consoles all together and that Sony, MS and Nintendo will suddenly stop making consoles which won't happen at all.

Sure it's amazing what some mods can do but some like myself might just prefer and like the original vanilla version of the game for what it is instead of trying to make it into something it originally was not.

That and I'm still quite content and happy with buying and playing games on my 360 and eventually my pc which took a year and a half to make due to rent and holiday savings but even then I'll still be gaming on the 360 because to me it still has it's use and always will.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
That settles it. Next time GTA IV is on Steam Sale, I'm getting it. I've got about 30 mods that I'll need to get for it.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Long live the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

Let's see the console peasants get their hands on something like this. Your console would explode because it detected the tiniest bit of copyright infringement.

On PC however? Your mind is the limit before the lawyers show up.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
frobalt said:

But it's also crazy to think people will just drop consoles all together and that Sony, MS and Nintendo will suddenly stop making consoles which won't happen at all.

Sure it's amazing what some mods can do but some like myself might just prefer and like the original vanilla version of the game for what it is instead of trying to make it into something it originally was not.

That and I'm still quite content and happy with buying and playing games on my 360 and eventually my pc which took a year and a half to make due to rent and holiday savings but even then I'll still be gaming on the 360 because to me it still has it's use and always will.
I'm not saying people shouldn't prefer it over PC gaming as everyone has their own preferences. I'm just saying that there's no real argument over which is superior. The only downside to PC gaming at the minute is that a lot of games are made specifically for consoles so aren't properly optimized for PC gaming.

We're getting to the stage now where you don't need a top of the range PC for the newest games anymore as games haven't really got that much more demanding recently - Hell, my computer is over 2 years old now but handles any game I play fine.

I digress anyway - I'm gonna have to reinstall GTIV to check this out.