EA Reveals SimCity OS X Release Date [UPDATE]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EA Reveals SimCity OS X Release Date [UPDATE]

SimCity will hit Mac computers in June.

Now that PC users have properly bug-tested the game and suffered through the server issues that transformed SimCity from one of the most highly-anticipated Windows titles in years to an industry-wide punchline, EA is ready to offer a proper SimCity experience to those who prefer Apple-branded tech. Specifically, the OS X incarnation of SimCity will debut on June 11.

While the worst issues with the game may have already been sorted out, EA is still determined to complicate the process of OS X users picking up a copy of SimCity. According to today's announcement, the game will be available exclusively through EA's Origin digital distribution service which, while functional, doesn't compare very favorably to Steam, Valve's analogue which has more or less established itself as the de facto industry standard.

As something of a vague, arguably unintentional mea culpa, the press release also reveals that by purchasing a copy of the OS X game, players will receive the Windows version totally gratis. What use that might have to an Apple user is questionable, given that access to this free Windows version can only be had once you've already purchased the OS X title, but who are we to stare glumly into the gaping maw of a gift horse?

Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw explains the baffling pack-in in terms that only serve to make things more confusing. "SimCity is coming to Mac on June 11 and one purchase will give you both the Mac and PC versions. You only need to buy SimCity once to play together across the same servers, regardless of which version you're playing," Bradshaw states. "We didn't want to make any compromises when it came to the Mac so we created a native version that is optimized for the hardware and OSX."

So, wait ... does this mean that the OS X and Windows versions of SimCity can communicate with one another online? Or is that Windows version pack-in an apology for the lack of such a feature that allows OS X users to enjoy the game with Windows players by installing the Windows iteration of SimCity to a virtual machine, Bootcamp partition or whatever other method they prefer? As a Mac user I like the idea of playing SimCity with Windows users, but this is a really confusing way of explaining how that's supposed to work. Fortunately, my job gives me access to people who can explain such things, and I've sent an email to EA seeking clarification. I'll update this piece when/if I hear more.

Update: EA replied to the email I sent over and offered the following clarification:

The Windows and Mac versions of the game were created alongside each other. The Mac version is not a direct port. It is being built by the Maxis Studio in Emeryville so that it is optimized for the Mac OS. That means that the Windows version needs to be played on Windows and the Mac version needs to be played on Mac (of course if you boot camp your Mac with Windows, you will be able to play the windows version there).

The title is a dual-entitlement meaning that if you purchased a Windows version of the game you will be entitled for a Mac version. When the Mac version ships in June, players will also be entitled to a PC version of the game. Windows and Mac players will play alongside each other in the same servers and regions.

So, yes, the OS X and Windows versions of SimCity will be able to communicate with one another. Hooray for that.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
So do PC gamers get a free copy of the OS X version of the game too?

That is one of the things that Steam likes to do and it seems like a smart move from EA to include that in Origin as well.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw explains the baffling pack-in in terms that only serve to make things more confusing. "SimCity is coming to Mac on June 11 and one purchase will give you both the Mac and PC versions. You only need to buy SimCity once to play together across the same servers, regardless of which version you're playing," Bradshaw states. "We didn't want to make any compromises when it came to the Mac so we created a native version that is optimized for the hardware and OSX."

I keep reading this paragraph and keep coming back to the thought 'so what, it was ok to compromise for the windows market?' Don't get me wrong it's good that they are trying to do service to the mac but this still feels like a backhand to the face of windows users. As a gut feeling I'm thinking that since they would provide a windows version with the mac it would suggest that cross-OS play is not compatible.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Oh yes im sure the mac people will just be so happy to download Origin for the one game that with work on osx

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
There are Mac gamers? ;)

Well, I guess they can look forward to the sync-fail disconnects and still-faulty traffic AI, at least. Can't let us Windows users have all the fun, now can we.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
It's actually available now, but you'll have to wait until June before the servers are running.
Badumtss!

Wonder if my niece will jump on this bandwagon of fail. She didn't mind the whole Diablo 3 fiasco.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
FoolKiller said:
So do PC gamers get a free copy of the OS X version of the game too?

That is one of the things that Steam likes to do and it seems like a smart move from EA to include that in Origin as well.
Depends on how Origin handles it. With Steam your library is just your library, if you have games that are compatible with Windows, OSX, or Linux then you have it for all three of them no matter what. The only instance I've seen where it's not that way that I've seen is with Civilization IV, I bought the complete pack during some sale a while ago and ended up with separate versions for the Windows and Mac versions in my list. Every other game that I have that is cross platform like that just has one entry in the list.

Also, does anyone else see this causing another release week boondoggle or not?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crashing soon on an iDevice near you.

A game you can't wait to play...But due to queue times, you'll have to.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
10 years from now there will be a single player hack of this game on a ROM. I pity the masochist who makes it.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I'm still not going to buy it (yeah, I'm one of those fabled Mac gamers). I've been through one train-wreck already with Diablo 3 (uninstalled); I have no compunction to go through another one, and Origin can go fuck itself, because I will not be installing that on my machine. I do not trust EA enough that they won't have designed it to dig deep into the OS and monkey with a bunch of stuff that it has no business doing so.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh sure!!! The game got ripped apart on every internet forum in existence! Let me go and buy it. After all I am an idiot Mac user! DUUURURRHHHHH

They didn't even fix the PC version yet. What the fuck are they spending time on the Mac version for? Are these people so incompetent that they just gave up and decided to milk the disaster that is SimCity 2013 for all it's worth before it is forever etched in stone as "THE WORST REBOOT IN HISTORY! YES WORSE THAN BIONIC COMMANDO!"

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
1337mokro said:
They didn't even fix the PC version yet. What the fuck are they spending time on the Mac version for?
Calm down. Dev studios like Maxis, Valve, etc have more than one team working on a game at the same time. At least for porting you would. And no, they just can't take every damn programmer and lock them up in one room until they've fixed the game. Too many people working on something is like too little.

But, you can bet lots of $$$ that this pile of steaming crap will remain broken for a very long time no matter how many programmers, QA people, rubber chicken waving, incantation singing and sacrificial goat killed at EA's bloody altar.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Mechalynx said:
DVS BSTrD said:
It's actually available now, but you'll have to wait until June before the servers are running.
Badumtss!

Wonder if my niece will jump on this bandwagon of fail. She didn't mind the whole Diablo 3 fiasco.
HAHAHAHAH!!! So wait it is BARELY running on the PC version...... And we are going to add another set of users to it? Now that is some great planning!!!!!

Comocat

May 24, 2012
1337mokro said:
Oh sure!!! The game got ripped apart on every internet forum in existence! Let me go and buy it. After all I am an idiot Mac user! DUUURURRHHHHH

They didn't even fix the PC version yet. What the fuck are they spending time on the Mac version for? Are these people so incompetent that they just gave up and decided to milk the disaster that is SimCity 2013 for all it's worth before it is forever etched in stone as "THE WORST REBOOT IN HISTORY! YES WORSE THAN BIONIC COMMANDO!"
The server instability was the least of the issues this game has, so I would be surprised if this game is still selling in june.

Actually, as a tip of the hat to EAs evil genius, given that most review bombs the game received are based off server issues, they can rerelease the game as being awesome because those have been pretty much resolved it is easy to discount the thousands of one star rating. If EA meant to boost sales of their shitty game this way I would be really impressed.