IGDA Issues Industry Event "Ground Rules"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
IGDA Issues Industry Event "Ground Rules"

The International Game Developers Association says its new guidelines for industry events will help it steer clear of the ugliness that marred the 2013 Game Developers Conference.

The IGDA made the wrong kind of splash with its Game Developers Conference party last month by enlisting several female dancers in "skimpy" outfits as part of the entertainment. Board member Darius Kazemi resigned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122967-Brenda-Romero-Resigns-IGDA-Post-Over-GDC-Party-UPDATED] in protest, as did Brenda Romero, head of the IGDA's Women In Games SIG, who said that staying silent on the matter "would have been complicity."

To say it reflected poorly on the IGDA would be a serious understatement, but the group has taken steps to (hopefully) redeem itself by publishing a new set of basic ground rules that will govern its participation in future industry events. First and foremost, its primary focus will be on "networking events" rather than parties, and it will "encourage inclusion and diversity" to ensure that everyone present feels comfortable. It also promises to be more careful about who it partners with in co-sponsored events; the IGDA had earlier shifted much of the blame for the GDC debacle onto party co-organizer Yetizen [http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/30/yetizen-explains-hiring-of-gamer-models-not-dancers-for-its-gdc-party/].

Executive Director Kate Edwards also took a "walk out and talk about" pledge for non-IGDA events. "Quite simply, if I attend an event and find the content to be contrary to the IGDA ideals, regardless of the potential value of being present, I will leave the venue," she wrote. "However, I won't do so without informing the sponsors/organizers of my reasons for walking out - both at the party and afterwards. I will always be respectful in my feedback; organizers are far more apt to listen to constructive recommendations over reactionary words. I'm hoping if enough people join me in this approach, companies and organizations will realize that the time for change has come."

I won't say the commitment is overdue, but it's certainly welcome. I like a jiggly, booze-fueled blowout as much as the next straight white guy, but it doesn't (or shouldn't) take months of sensitivity training to realize that not everyone shares that feeling or wants to partake in it, especially when it comes to professional industry events. It's unfortunate that published guidelines are necessary for what should be a matter of straightforward common sense, but since that appears to be the case, props to the IGDA for laying them out. But the important part is what comes next: will it follow through, or will it just end up issuing another round of apologies this time next year?

Source: IGDA [http://www.igda.org/node/1042437]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
An article about the games industry doing something right?

Has Hell frozen over?

Although as you say Andy, it really shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I like a jiggly, booze-fueled blowout as much as the next straight white guy...
Are you suggest non-white guys don't like jiggly booze-fuelded blowouts? Because I've got pictures that would suggest otherwise. Don't ask why.

Seriously though, while I think the reaction was completely blown out of proportion, this is probably a good idea if they want to expand the industry to new markets.

The context of WHY they're doing it isn't very encouraging though. Stamping your feet and throwing a wobbler is apparently an effective way to get what you want, contrary to what I was told growing up.

DVS BSTrD said:
Will people be allowed to complement women on their looks?
I'm detecting 34 giga-hitlers on my privilege checker. You'd better get that checked oppressor.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Will people be allowed to complement women on their looks?
Of course they are - and to engage in respectful social engagement, as civil human beings. Why do you ask?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Pffft. I gave up on professionalism and maturity in this industry a while ago. The fact that you have to actually make "guidelines" is laughable.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Most importantly, don't say anything that might fork someone's dongles or it could get you in trouble!

First and foremost, its primary focus will be on "networking events" rather than parties, and it will "encourage inclusion and diversity" to ensure that everyone present feels comfortable.
I'm a progressive liberal and the amount of political-correctness jargon they're using here is hilarious.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I saw the pictures of the party. Besides bad timing with the whole women in games debacle it really didn't seem all that bad. Besides, the partying only happens at a specified time at the GDC, correct? It wasn't a whole day thing?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
talkin about barn doors shuttin after the horses gone and so forth

i wonder if other earlier organizations in human history had to have similar incidents occur before realizing the need for the standards

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Colt47 said:
I saw the pictures of the party. Besides bad timing with the whole women in games debacle it really didn't seem all that bad. Besides, the partying only happens at a specified time at the GDC, correct? It wasn't a whole day thing?
From what I read it was a very tame thing compared to booth babes at most events, and it was not an official gathering.