Flashback Gets an HD Reimagining

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Flashback Gets an HD Reimagining

After 20 years, the sci-fi Amiga classic is making a return.

Remember Flashback? If not, you might relate to the game's amnesiac protagonist - or it might be the fact that the original game is more than 20 years old now. Flashback was released on the Amiga by French developer Delphine Software in 1992, to critical and commercial success. Now, it's looking like fans of the sci-fi action-platformer will be having some flashbacks of their own: Ubisoft has announced that Flashback will be coming to XBLA and PSN as an HD reimagining of the classic adventure, with the game's original creator at the helm.

Paul Cuisset, who designed the original, is in charge of the remake with his new studio VectorCell. He plans on keeping Flashback as faithful to its namesake as possible, while bringing some modern innovations to keep it entertaining beyond the nostalgia value. All the classic elements are there: You are Conrad B. Hart, an agent who discovered an alien plot to invade Earth before having his memories erased, and now it's up to him to stop them. He'll do this mainly by jumping, shooting, and rolling through a variety of colorful levels.

Amiga veterans will be in for a few surprises, as the gameplay is spiced up with new mechanics like an experience progression system and a handful of new gadgets. The story will have a few new twists and turns as well, with some fresh characters being brought to life in the Unreal-powered remake. All in all, it should stack up nicely against modern platformers, despite (or because of) its old-school roots.

Flashback is "coming soon" as a downloadable title on XBLA and PSN.

Source: Computer and Video Games [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400382/flashback-hd-announced-for-xbla-psn/]

PiercedMonk

Feb 26, 2010
The only way I could be happier about this news is if it was a straight port as opposed to a HD update, so I could play the original again. Loved this game when I was a kid.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Brilliant stuff, there was a rumor and screenshots a few months back but to see it confirmed is great. Even better they don't seem to have mucked with it much, no horrible attempt to make it a FPS or something.

Hopefully it will sell well and we will see more games like X-Com and this, only thing is I would like a Vita version more than any other machine.

Edit, (posted at the same time as my post)

josemlopes said:
Wait... no mention that VectorCell's only game made was Amy?
Oh dear, it cannot be that bad I hope. /sniffles

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Hell yes!
Flashback is easily one of my favorite games of all time and, slightly awkward controls & horrible SFX aside, it still holds up really well today. I can't wait to play this.

josemlopes said:
Wait... no mention that VectorCell's only game made was Amy?
Oh.

Shit.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I had the Mega Drive port. Probably the first story-driven game I ever owned and I was addicted to it. The bomb defusal mission in Washington was a fucking *****, though XD

Although if that's true about Amy maybe I should be a little less optimistic. I'm willing to give them a chance, though.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
At the time it was an awesome game... The item pickup music resonates in my brain alongside the Zelda counterpart (thats how much I loved the original Flashback...)
I even bought the horribad 3d sequel. I am glad they went back to the basics here, and yes! I REMEMBER!

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Okay this makes me happy in the place where I go Pee-Pee. now all we need is Metal Warriors to be released on XBLA and I will never have to buy another game again. wait LucasArts made that didn't they? :(

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Didn't Yahtzee do a Let's Play of Flashback? Because that was all I could think about when I saw this thread.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Seriously? No Steam release? Not even a Greenlight candidate? Disappointing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Aeshi said:
Didn't Yahtzee do a Let's Play of Flashback? Because that was all I could think about when I saw this thread.
The first vids on his Youtube channel were of him mucking about in Flashback [http://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19/videos] and teabagging, but I don't know if he ever did a full-on LP.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
It's a bit weird that they're presenting the game as such an action game. The original Flashback was slower-paced than most games around now. Sure you could do cool jumps and all, but it was more like Prince of Persia with a gun than anything else. It was even less action-oriented than Blackthorne.

Either they're making the game more action-oriented (which shows from that silly jetbike sequence in the trailer), or they're up for upsetting a lot of people that may unknowingly pick up Flashback thinking it's another Shadow Complex or something.

Edit: After doing a bit of research, today I learned that there is a subgenre of platformers called "Cinematic Platform Game"

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
>It's NOT an FPS

YES.

>It's done by the same core team

YES.

>Amy is related to this somehow

Oh...........well fuck.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Too bad its just casbla and pussun.
Couldn't they release it to steam as well? Should be fairly straightforward.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
How do we go from this:

to a Drake clone:

?

Seriously, they all look alike these days. How about some variety?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
lancar said:
I hope that it gets a Steam release. Flashback is the first PC game I ever played, and I was looking forward for the nostalgia.

LoLife

Dec 7, 2012
Doom972 said:
lancar said:
I hope that it gets a Steam release. Flashback is the first PC game I ever played, and I was looking forward for the nostalgia.
I'm hoping of a Pc release too played this game the death back in my Mega Drive days =/

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
dakkster said:
How do we go from this:

to a Drake clone:

?

Seriously, they all look alike these days. How about some variety?
They didn't actually change it much, they just went from the splash screen template of Conrad, not the gameplay template (though going from that feathered up look to a flattop was an odd choice).

If anything, we should be complaining that Nathan Drake is a Conrad B Hart ripoff. How very meta...