Sega Seemingly Teases New Castle Of Illusion Title

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sega Seemingly Teases New Castle Of Illusion Title

Sega may know Blast Processing, but based on this new video it has no idea what the word "subtlety" means.

The video embedded at right appeared a short time ago courtesy Sega. It's short, so hit "play"and we'll rejoin the conversation after.

Done? Alright, so you're clear on what you just saw right? Based on all of the imagery, the fact that it came from Sega, and the Disney copyright notification toward the end, that video is almost definitely a teaser for the upcoming Castle of Illusion sequel/remake/whatever. We don't actually know anything about the game's content, but, well, you saw that video. Is there any real doubt?

The biggest question now concerns what form this new title will take. We'd be quite excited for a modern 2D platformer on the 3DS, Vita, Xbox Live or PlayStation Network, but it would make more financial sense for Sega to target mass market Nintendo devices so as to maximize profits by tapping the stereotypically young audience attracted by the Big N and exploited by Disney since the beginning of time. Thus, if it turns out that Castle of Illusion is exclusive to the Wii U (or *gasp* the Wii), we wouldn't be terribly stunned.

Oh, and in case you were born in the 90s, here's a quick primer on why you should care about any of this: Though the original Castle of Illusion was a licensed property (which is usually a very bad sign) it was so meticulously well crafted and featured such amazing animation that for quite some time it allowed Mickey Mouse to rival Sonic the Hedgehog as the Sega Genesis' top anthropomorphic rodent. The more recent Epic Mickey games lifted liberal cues from Castle of Illusion, though neither of those games lived up to the legacy of their would-be predecessor.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDm48hbH0E]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Awesome! Castle of Illusion was my favorite Disney game of all time! It was one of the few games my mother ever beat XD

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
PFT IT IS CLEARLY A NEW SONIC GAME DON'T YOU SEE?

All joking aside Castle/Land of Illusions on the Game gear made up most of my bus rides to school... the nostalgia will be heavy.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The nostalgia, it burns me. I had this game on my Game Gear and used to play it like crazy. Wish I could find my Game Gear so that I could play it again.

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
I must be the only person who thinks that World of Illusion was the superior tittle...and probably best Disney game on Sega Genesis

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
It's either Castle of illusion or they're gonna get the hell sued out of them by Disney. :p

And nothing to do with Disney has ever been subtle, why would this be any different?