Surviving Your First Hunt in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Surviving Your First Hunt in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

These are the basics, hunter, the skills you need to survive out there.

Read Full Article

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The monster hunter franchise is something I've always been interested in. I how ever lack the needed hardware to play it. So it will always be just that, can anyone recommend any similar games on the PC?

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
While I am here I suggest watching this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk], it'll give you some more basics on Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (on the 3DS) is so good, much better than the PSP versions. I am 15 hours in and I have a full set of Barroth Armour and a cool Switch Axe to which tails have no business being on monsters.

Hastln

Apr 8, 2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed every Monster Hunter game so far, and probably have spent far to much time playing them, its good to see that some people want to introduce others to the community. Your first hunt can feel difficult if your new to the series, it might also seem like a grid. Ive probably spent around 60+hours on the new one, I just hope that G-Rank quests are still an immense challenge solo.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
It still ticks me off that the 3DS can not do online multiplayer, like they had to think of something to make the wii u version better so they just cut it out of the portable version.

Still I guess it just makes me want to get it for the wii U at some date, least they let us transfer character.

Tyler Lucas

Sep 9, 2012
They forgot to add to watch out for how monster hunter can tell what monster part you want and NOT give it to you.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Shame its not on pc. This is a game i think id like. Dont have wii u, and dont feel like buying one for a single game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Theres two other rules for this game:

1. Never play online except with friends. This game multiplayer makes CoD on XBL look like a presidential debate.

2. Never let others know you're new to this franchise. This means no asking for help on a hunt, no asking which monster drops what.

Hell hath no fury like a Monsster Hunter fan.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
For those asking for a Pc one, there is monster hunter frontier, but it' a japanese mmo. Or you could try that chinese riip off mmo

About the article... "2nd playtrough"? It's like he's talking that monster hunter series has an ending.. lol

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
RaikuFA said:

1. Never play online except with friends. This game multiplayer makes CoD on XBL look like a presidential debate.

2. Never let others know you're new to this franchise. This means no asking for help on a hunt, no asking which monster drops what.

Monster Hunter Tri was my first MH game, and I played online and asked for help and tips just fine... Did I just get lucky or did everyone turn savage overnight? >>

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
RejjeN said:
RaikuFA said:

Monster Hunter Tri was my first MH game, and I played online and asked for help and tips just fine... Did I just get lucky or did everyone turn savage overnight? >>
it seems he was more UNlucky, most people are perfectly happy and willing to help. what really ticks people off though is wilful ignorance, like swinging a hammer, knocking people through the air, apologizing and then doing it AGAIN, or just running uninvited into a room designed to help people farm lagiacrus, then demanding help with your 3* urgent.

as long as you're willing to learn and don't annoy people, you should be fine. there may be an occasional dickhead, but theyre the exception, not the rule (just stay away from gamefaqs. teamworkcast, reddit, capcom unity, and even miiverse are great communities, gamefaqs... not so much)

piinyouri said:
If they ever release this on PC or a Sony console, I will be all over it.
if you're willing to put up with a little japanese, you can get Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD. Ver. (honestly, as long as you can remember the colours of items, it's not too bad, there's little to no required reading in P3rd)
(or if youre not willing to, you can get the same game on psp with an english patch if you have custom firmware) and there's always the freedoom, freedom 2, and freedom unite versions on the PSP/Vita, unite is the best to get, since it has everything from the previous games and more, but it lacks a lot of refinements made during P3rd and tri, hitboxes and endgame balance especially)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I've been looking around, and I have yet to find an answer to this question, what are the differences between the 3DS version and the WiiU version of MH3U, if any?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
I've been looking around, and I have yet to find an answer to this question, what are the differences between the 3DS version and the WiiU version of MH3U, if any?
The most signficant thing is the wii u can play online, the 3ds is stuck with local only.

one rule that i'll abide is "bring your own supplies". Don't be a beggar.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
synobal said:
The monster hunter franchise is something I've always been interested in. I how ever lack the needed hardware to play it. So it will always be just that, can anyone recommend any similar games on the PC?
Well...there is Monster Hunter Online, which is an MMORPG for the PC, but I'm not sure if it's only in Japan or aomething like that. Other than that, not sure.

OT: I'll never forgive you Capcom. You bastards.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Kaimax said:
immortalfrieza said:
The most signficant thing is the wii u can play online, the 3ds is stuck with local only.

Thanks. Since I've never cared for multiplayer to begin with I guess that means there isn't really a difference.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Kaimax said:
immortalfrieza said:

Thanks. Since I've never cared for multiplayer to begin with I guess that means there isn't really a difference.
if you have a wii U and a lan adapter you can get the free packet transfer tool and play online with the 3ds via the wii.
(and the circle pad pro makes the control scheme the same as well)

in which case it's a choice between graphics or 3D

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
AdamG3691 said:
immortalfrieza said:
Kaimax said:
immortalfrieza said:

if you have a wii U and a lan adapter you can get the free packet transfer tool and play online with the 3ds via the wii.

Ahh... and I never use the 3D function on the 3DS either, since it's both headache inducing and barely functional. I have go with the 3DS version anyway since it'll be a while until I can get a WiiU.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
AdamG3691 said:
immortalfrieza said:
Kaimax said:
immortalfrieza said:

Ahh... and I never use the 3D function on the 3DS either, since it's both headache inducing and barely functional. I have go with the 3DS version anyway since it'll be a while until I can get a WiiU.
it's surprisingly useful in underwater fights :p

you can always turn it off in one of the options as well, it makes the fonts a lot clearer since it's not rendering them twice a few pixels apart :p

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
I'm loving the game so far, except...
Why, for the love of fluffy pink bunnies, does the text on the WiiU version have to be so tiny on 40" screens? It's fine on my 23" monitor...