Judge Dumps On Apple and Motorola, Denies Conference Request

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Judge Dumps On Apple and Motorola, Denies Conference Request

A U.S. District Court Judge has accused both Apple and Motorola of bad behavior and says their lawsuits are merely "a business strategy that appears to have no end."

I haven't paid much attention to the ongoing litigational battles between Apple and Motorola, because it's a sprawling and incredibly complex affair and, to be blunt about it, I really don't care. You know who else doesn't care? U.S. District Court Judge Robert N. Scola of the Southern District of Florida, who on Tuesday delivered an excoriating order denying a request for a case-management conference and also expressed no small amount of frustration with both companies.

The judge noted that both parties have prolonged and padded the litigation to the point that it now includes over 180 claims spread across 12 patents, and more than 100 disputes over the meanings of terms in those claims. Apple and Motorola, while apparently recognizing the need to simplify the situation by voluntarily dropping some claims from the case, can't agree on how to go about it, and so they filed a joint request for a "case-management conference," which did not go over well at all.

"Without a hint of irony, the parties now ask the Court to mop up a mess they made by holding a hearing to reduce the size and complexity of the case. The Court declines this invitation," Scola wrote.

"Most parties that come before the Court are trying to resolve their legal dispute as expeditiously, efficiently, and fairly as possible so that they can get on with their business or personal lives," he continued. "But in the present case, the parties' obstreperous and cantankerous conduct - combined with the existence of similar cases by the same parties or their affiliates throughout the world - makes it plain that the parties have no interest in efficiently and expeditiously resolving this dispute; they instead are using this and similar litigation worldwide as a business strategy that appears to have no end."

The judge denied the request for a case-management conference but did push the Markman hearing back until September 20, with a warning that he expects the companies to use the time to get their stuff together - and that if they fail to do so, he'll put the brakes on the whole thing. "If the parties cannot make this case manageable," he wrote, "the Court forewarns them that it intends to stay the litigation while the Markman issues are pending and issue a decision as expeditiously as the parties deserve."

Judge Scola's ruling can be read in full here [http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2458623/apple-motorola-order-angry.pdf].

via: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/11/4213104/apple-and-google-patent-dispute-has-no-end-in-sight-judge-says]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yay! Some sense in the judicial world!

The only thing that scares me now is the thought that they might take this as a sign to merge to form an even bigger company to dick us over with petty lawsuits.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Well done, that judge.

Here's hoping it finally gets the two comapnies to sort their shit out one way or another.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.0 this is still going? though it played out awhile ago.

hey Apple? Samsung? >.> <.< if you wanna throw money away, you can always throw it my direction.... just sayin

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
The case is between Apple and Motorola. Motorola is owned by Google.

In fact, there are no mentions of "Samsung" anywhere within that ruling.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Absolutionis said:
The case is between Apple and Motorola. Motorola is owned by Google.
This is correct, and I apologize. No idea what happened there, or why Motorola ended up as Samsung repeatedly, but I've updated the post with the proper names.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
This is correct, and I apologize. No idea what happened there, or why Motorola ended up as Samsung repeatedly, but I've updated the post with the proper names.
Apple was suing Samsung/Samsung was suing Apple at some point too, as I recall. Or were they? Apple was suing somebody, Samsung was suing somebody or getting sued by somebody, and your error only goes to further prove this very likable judge's point, i.e. this whole thing is stupid and the two firms should act like they're run by adults for once. It's great to see the judiciary call the hardware manufacturers on their BS. While the judicial system has issues and Supreme Court judges are problematic at best, the thing I love about it is that individual lower-court judges are hard to predict and hard to buy off, and get to do stuff like this.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
This man is my God.

In Judge Scola, we trust...

I had no idea the case was so messed up, though. It's been pretty clear for a while that they, Apple especially, are just using the borked patent laws to make some extra money.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Judge Scola(paraphrased): This is stupid and you are stupid. Shut the fuck up and get out of my court.

If only more cases could get such responses...

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Awesome guy right there! Now either fine both of them an absurd amount (about 1 billion dollars should do it!) so that others will straighten up and stop trying to sue each other, or take away several of their patents and force them to put it up in public domain. If nobody can learn to make an honest profit on or sensibly share an innovation anymore, then nobody can lay a claim on it and take the royalties.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
...I never thought I'd experience such joy from the U.S Justice system. Hopefully this stuff eventually stops and the companies stop trying to use the courts to further their own selfish gains.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Google is just that powerful, man. They're on to you!

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
I just wish he would/could - when they inevitably come back with their shit out of order - declare their patents null and void, as they are clearly not defined well enough to litigate.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Wow, a judge in sue happy US (I call it as I see it) going 'this shit is getting ridiculous' to Apple and Motorola?

I must be dreaming. Way to go Judge Scola!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So even Judges are tired of patent trolling? this is a landmark occasion. We finally see juges going "nope, your doing it wrong, thats not what we want to spend our time on".

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Most respect to the judge :D
However this is just one case outed while thousands like these go on every year over vague patents no one can prove right or wrong so the winner is simply decided on who has deeper lawyer pockets, it's a fucking madhouse.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Man, you know you've really pissed off your judge when he proceeds to ***** slap you with his thesaurus.