Meet The Green Lantern Of Turbine's Infinite Crisis

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Meet The Green Lantern Of Turbine's Infinite Crisis

Turbine has released a trailer for its upcoming DC Comics MOBA Infinite Crisis, focusing on Green Lantern.

You can find that clip embedded at right, though I will warn you that what you're going to see isn't anything terribly impressive. If you've ever witnessed any game in the MOBA genre, you're going to know exactly what to expect from this clip. The only really notable bit is that the video features DC Comics hero Green Lantern using his various abilities against the one-note walking incarnation of everything that was wrong with comics in the 1990s known as Doomsday.

While I remain excited for the upcoming Infinite Crisis as a fan of the characters and DC Comics lore it features, this trailer isn't doing anything to help the title's case. I realize the MOBA genre is focused on tactics and strategic thinking, but there's an absolute dearth of visceral intensity in this clip. Green Lantern drops a jet on Doomsday and the only effect is a burst of particles, a minor flash and Doomsday looking slightly inconvenienced. That last bit is faithful to the comics, but I'd still hope for a bit more violent feedback from an attack of that sort.

Compare the above trailer to this vignette featuring the Injustice: Gods Among Us incarnation of Green Lantern [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvF8wqK08Ig]. I won't compare the games or their respective styles directly as that's unfair, but I'd like you all to notice how much more intense the Injustice trailer is. Every time an attack occurs, there's noticeable feedback, both from the characters involved and in an auditory/visual manner for the player. Yes, that's a component of fighting games in general, but why shouldn't the MOBA genre adopt this same kind of visceral output? It would certainly take more effort on the development side of things, but it would also go a long way toward moving MOBA titles beyond their staid, relatively small niche.

Infinite Crisis is slated for release on Windows at some point during 2013. Expect more info soon.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K3m1dQjIaWo]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
While I remain excited for the upcoming Infinite Crisis due to Turbine's track record of being one of the best developers in the industry for working with superhero-based games

Are you sure you don't mean Cryptic perhaps? Or the original team behind City of Heroes?

Because as far as I'm aware of, Turbine has never even touched a licensed super hero game, much less any super hero title.
You are absolutely correct. I was indeed confusing Turbine with Cryptic. Sorry about that. Thanks for catching it though. I'll amend the article right now.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
So the fighter jet just drops straight down onto your enemies? It isn't divebombing into them or dropping a trail of bombs, it just drops on top of them? Oooookay. They couldn't come up with something more creative for the guy that makes weapons out of pure thought that can travel at the speed of light?

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Turbine? Of "Asheron's Call", "Lord of the Rings Online", and "Dungeons and Dragons Online" fame? Since when do they do superhero games? Is this another MMOG?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I saw Green Lantern and my interest was piqued. I saw MOBA and shrugged in disinterest...

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
cursedseishi said:
NightmareWarden said:
So the fighter jet just drops straight down onto your enemies? It isn't divebombing into them or dropping a trail of bombs, it just drops on top of them? Oooookay. They couldn't come up with something more creative for the guy that makes weapons out of pure thought that can travel at the speed of light?

Aye its a little sad...

In the comics, they had a Green Lantern (prominent one too) summon up Gurren Lagann to attack.
In this, they get a T-shirt saying "I summoned up a plane, and made it crash!" Maybe it's Hal Jordan though, and that's why its a plane... crashing into someone...?
See, THAT is how you get someone to switch from Marvel to DC. Unfortunately the moment I saw after looking this up wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped. On the other hand I found this:
Don't worry GL:TAS, you'll never die so long as you're remembered in our hearts. Curse you, Cartoon Network!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
NightmareWarden said:
To be fair, the actual Green Lantern has done that on occasion. Kyle, I think.

None of the Green Lanterns are very imaginative. It's also been explicitly stated in some continuities that they can't make anything complex with the rings, like something that requires many small moving parts.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I am starting to dislike how much development effort is being directed to MOBA games. Is it not just the same thing with different models and different named abilities?

But this one has DC characters! Well THIS one has Lord of the Rings characters! Well THIS one has GODS!

It's still the same thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not seeing all this "impact" we're supposed to see in Injustice.

NightmareWarden said:
Yeah, I was disappointed. I was like, "is this a joke?"

I wonder if a DC MOBA will sell well enough to justify its presence. I mean, just the terms in the promo were enough to put me off.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
NightmareWarden said:
To be fair, the actual Green Lantern has done that on occasion. Kyle, I think.

None of the Green Lanterns are very imaginative. It's also been explicitly stated in some continuities that they can't make anything complex with the rings, like something that requires many small moving parts.
You mean the Green Lantern that was a Comic book artist wasn't imaginative...?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Kyle (the comic book artist) was pretty imaginative usually. Hal (the fighter pilot) really not.

There was a pretty good JLA on-shot (Foreign Bodies) in which several heroes switches bodies (and powers), with Steel (an engineer) getting GL's powers, he was able to make some pretty cool stuff using moving parts.

OT: MOBA? meh, just can not get myself to care for those types of games...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Eleuthera said:
VoidWanderer said:
Kyle (the comic book artist) was pretty imaginative usually. Hal (the fighter pilot) really not.

There was a pretty good JLA on-shot (Foreign Bodies) in which several heroes switches bodies (and powers), with Steel (an engineer) getting GL's powers, he was able to make some pretty cool stuff using moving parts.

OT: MOBA? meh, just can not get myself to care for those types of games...
That was it. I was thinking of Hal Jordon, not Kyle Rayner. Always get those names confused for some reason.