Salem Dev: MMOs Without Permadeath Aren't Proper Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Salem Dev: MMOs Without Permadeath Aren't Proper Games

"Save points are the bane of good gaming, and they lead to a very hand-held type of experience with 'success' nigh-on guaranteed for the player," says Björn Johannessen, Lead Designer of Salem.

Salem is a quirky little MMO about being a settler in the new world. As the name implies, there is a lot of mystical-Cthulu-witchcraft-occult stuff, so if you misstep you could find your character dead. Permanently. Lead Designer Björn Johannessen spoke to WarCry [http://www.warcry.com/news/view/123260-Salem-Dev-Says-MMOs-Without-Permanent-Death-Arent-Games] about the permadeath feature, as well as how modern games have become way too easy. "I feel that a game without a proper 'You lost!' state is more of an interactive movie than a game proper," said Johannessen, discrediting perhaps the majority of MMOs out there as not being "proper games."

Johannessen feels pretty strongly about permanent death in Salem. "It was always intended to be a means of conflict resolution with finality, as well as establishing a definitive fail-state for the game," he said. "In a context where players can establish competing claims on limited resources, conflict resolution becomes important." When asked to clarify his statement about games without permadeath not being proper games, he said:

"I wouldn't speak disparagingly of someone else's baby. It's more of a general trend in modern gaming than an issue I have with any particular title. I grew up with the old generation of NES and Amiga games - often times repackaged arcade games - that made you play through the entire game again from level one and scratch if ever you failed, lost the three lives you did have, or whatever, even if you had made it to the proverbial final boss. No save points, no anything."

It looks like he is definitely angling for the "old-school" market, but is that big enough to sustain an MMO? Diablo III's hardcore mode, which allows permanent death, is played by a much lower percentage of players than its normal mode. Not content with just calling out developers that allow players to actually continue playing the game after dying, Johannessen said "Save points are the bane of good gaming, and they lead to a very hand-held type of experience with 'success' nigh-on guaranteed for the player," discrediting pretty much every video game ever made after 1988.

Johannessen also feels that PvP is an integral component of MMOs. "I much prefer multiplayer games in general for that reason, because where a single-player campaign may fail to deliver, at least multiplayer always offers actual resistance from someone who is actively trying his best to beat you," he said. "In my opinion, that is kind of the essence of what a game is, and also what separates it from a movie," implying that games without PvP are simply "interactive movies" rather than actual videogames.

The deadly combination of PvP and permadeath point towards Salem being a very, very hardcore game. The advantage of this for the developer is that they don't really have to develop an endgame, which is traditionally where the majority of new content lies in an MMO, as players will just keep dying and restarting. The game is due out some time in Q1 this year, and will be free-to-play.

Source: WarCry [http://www.warcry.com/news/view/123260-Salem-Dev-Says-MMOs-Without-Permanent-Death-Arent-Games]

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Permanent death doesn't sound very fun to me and neither does PVP. Usually if an MMO makes PVP the central focus and that everyone is flagged for PVP that is an MMO I will never play because I hate PVP. I don't want to be forced to fight against other players.

Permanent deaths sounds OK in a game like Crusader Kings II where if your character dies you take over as the heir. In general though I most likely would not play a game or difficult level that made death permanent unless there was a secret ending of some sort.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Has that dev ever played an MMO with PvP? Ever get ganked by a group of players that do it just because they think its funny? The idea of permanent death in an MMO is a really really bad idea! ganking is a popular pastime for many players and its bad enough having to spawn and then need to gather a large group to get past the gankers just so you can get to where your quest is at. The idea just doesnt sound very fun to me when you will need to start over from the very begining in an MMO. Last man standing in an FPS would be reasonable.

Seriously though MMO is like going to a store called Assholes R Us for PvP and permanent death would just make the game itself permanently dead inside of a month.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
This actually sounds pretty fun, until we inevitably get that one guy that kills players for the ducks of it.

My guess is three minutes before a witch hunt starts.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I can't say I'd inherently hate an MMO for 'permadeath'. but such a game needs to have *REDICULOUSLY* strong control over the douches who will inevitably want to ruin things for everyone else...unless PVP is in some kind of dual consent arena situation, we're looking at a grief engine here. I have no problem with a developer talking big...but he'd better be able to back it up when reality comes knocking.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Different strokes for different blokes-some like the hardcore,misstep and your royal fucked approach-other like the I'm here for the experience don't shit on my party outlook-both are valid as games and as gaming experiences.While I appreciate what he's doing he shouldn't lump all games that don't fit under his view as "not real games" as games really are just interactive experiences when you get down to it with no definite in stone rule book.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
No thanks, the big majority of games is better with save points. And FYI, I ascended in Nethack, so yeah.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I have heard unfortunate things about roaming gangs of players already having taken over this game, running an extortion racket on all new players.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Oy...

Look.

I understand that that's what you find fun. I get it. I respect it. And to anyone who has fun playing that way, more power to you.

However, I'm starting to go just a little bit more crazy every time I hear someone say "A game that does/does not do X isn't a real game."

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I will recommend this game to a friend. He love this kind of stuff (e.g. he played D3 in hardcore and atm plays Path of Exile the same ways) and is a jerk (he likes to PK and exploit the shit out of people in MMOs).
Seems to fit pretty nicely.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, if you count out PvP then I can see what he's getting at. Not an MMO but while I was playing Hardcore mode in Path of Exile, the amount of care and emotional investment I ended up putting into my characters was leagues above any game I had ever played before it.

I remember back in the day when death in an MMO did mean a rather hefty Exp and skill penalty, where hours or even day and weeks of time could be undone by a single death. PvP was tense, calculated and coordinated and coming across other players in the world had immediate impact on your current emotional state. Especially if they appeared strong enough to kick your ass.

Most people prefer a theme park to a world with consequences, however. Thus, this kind of game has become rare and niche. There aren't many around that I still play but I'm hoping one day I can get into a game with that kind of feeling to it again.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
MMO Permadeath is approaching Adam Orth levels of stupidity in the real world.

"Oh your ISP lagged, or your connection dropped killing your high level charactter? #Dealwithit"

Some might appreciate it even though, but not me.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, for fuck's sake.

There's always one or two devs with a philosophy that's either similar or put forward in just as blunt and frankly offensive manner. "Oh, so you never played Diablo III's hardcore mode? Feh, I'm done talking to you!"

There's being a hardcore gamer, and then there's being an elitist asshole who passes really sweeping judgments on things he really has no authority over. I like to *build* my characters, for one, and I like to think that making mistakes is natural. This "one misstep and you're doomed" approach is really going to limit Salem's potential market.

Free-to-play it might be, if that's the attitude they're going with; I don't give it six months.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
well this game is a pass then, one this guy sounds like a pretentious ass, and not like in the good way like Jim Sterling.

two, 'perma-death' and 'always on PvP', are a BAD combination, this will pretty much encourage asshole players to be even worse, and the PvP crowds are bad enough when you can respawn, can't imagine how much worse this will make them.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
I kinda get where they are coming from. Games have gotten pretty easy, and success IS pretty much guaranteed (And that's not even really a problem for many people).

That said, they really come off sounding like high and mighty buttholes here. And while permadeath can work, a dev really needs to structure the game well so players just don't give up. Particularly for an MMO that needs to retain players.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I've found no way to kill my interest in this man's MMO than listening/reading about him talking. I can just FEEL the pretension oozing out of every pore. I was even going to give this a look, but now I won't.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Save points?

Sorry, the permadeath in an MMO sounds dumb enough, but he disparages save points??

I've formed a hypothesis that the man has never played a game longer than an hour.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I read it as him saying his own taste is objectively right. Permadeaths were fine when games could be beaten in an hour by a skilled player, but have no business in modern 5-to-50 hour affairs. If Metal Gear, Uncharted, or Final Fantasy had permadeaths, I'd imagine they all would've been universally panned.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. "Gaming has changed. It's no longer about practice, reflexes, or consequences. It's an endless series of immediate respawns, played by scrubs and Super Guides [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvZK_22Eu8]. Gaming, and its lack of skill, has become a well-oiled machine. Gaming has changed. Pre-scripted combat carries pre-scripted attacks, uses pre-scripted deaths. Cutscenes inside the battles enhance and regulate their flow. Attack control. Strategy control. Ability control. Player control. Everything is scripted, and kept under control. Gaming has changed. The age of good graphics has become the age of control. All in the name of deeper immersion from cinematics. And he who controls the player, controls the industry. Gaming has changed. When the player is under total control, gaming... becomes Medal of Honor Warfighter [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHyD49DaeA]."