Ubisoft CEO Thinks Gamers Are Ready For Always-On Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft CEO Thinks Gamers Are Ready For Always-On Consoles

Ubisoft big dog Yannis Mallat says gamers will embrace always-on gaming as soon as they're able to stop worrying about it.

There are several reasons to be wound up about the prospect of an always-on game console, as the next Xbox is strongly rumored to be. Perhaps you live someplace with less than rock-solid internet service, or maybe you bore first-hand witness to the SimCity fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122763-SimCity-Apology-Offers-One-Of-Eight-Free-Games] and don't feel overly inclined to trust your future gaming experiences to a mandatory connection to some central server somewhere. Or it could be a matter of principle; maybe you just don't like other people and can't abide the idea of even a tangential connection to them while you play.

Whatever the reason, an awful lot of gamers have expressed an awful lot of concern that Microsoft's next console will require a constant connection in order to function. But Mallat said people will stop worrying about such things as soon as the industry demonstrates that there's really nothing to worry about.

"As soon as players don't have to worry, then they will only take into account the benefits that those services bring," he told the Guardian. "And I agree, these services need to provide clear benefits. It's important to be able to provide direct connections between us and our consumers, whether that's extra content or online services, a lot of successful games have that."

As for whether or not the world is ready for an always-on console, he said that's a question that should be put to Sony and Microsoft, but added, "I would say that a lot of people are already always online through other devices - I would suspect that the audience is ready."

I wouldn't say he's necessarily wrong, and in fact he's dead-on when he says that the debate will go away as soon as the reasons for worrying do. The trouble is that so much of is is based on infrastructure, or lack thereof, and that's not something that any console manufacturer can do anything about. And even when infrastructure is solid, a dependence on remote servers is going to blow up in your face sooner or later - as Ubisoft, of all companies, should very well know.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/apr/15/yannis-mallat-ubisoft-interview]

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
And here I was, thinking Ubisoft might actually become the least-bad of the Big Four (EA, Actizzard, Ubisoft, Squeenix) ...

Welp, guess I was wrong. For god's sake, what's so hard about not pissing your customers off?

We had this exact same argument from Orth, albeit phrased differently. And it's still plain wrong, because the premise is wrong. We don't need always-on anything. We need optional online benefits.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I thought ubisoft dropped the DRM thing and realized it wasn't working

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
"You know you guys would agree with me if you could just forget your reasons for not doing so."

What kind of fucking prat has that sort of mindset? One named Yannis, apparently.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
RatherDull said:
Do you guys intentionally look for what news stories will cause the most controversy?
Well, that's sensationalism in a nutshell. Ubisoft isn't implying that always online is plausible, merely that if it were plausible it would be a good idea. I don't think always online is ever a good idea, as it represents giving up a certain level of control and would only hinder the modding community, which in turn would harm future developers.

It feels like businesses are getting a bit short sighted this decade.

Of course if we didn't have this stuff showing up on the escapist there wouldn't be a whole lot of discussion. =p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Marik2 said:
I think publisher's are just trying to market DRM as "always online". At it's core it is still DRM, but since it's a dirty word they have distanced themselves from it.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
This is killing me. All the rumors going left and right are driving me crazy.

Is the 720 always online or not? Freakin' stand up and answer, Microsoft.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
no sorry don't want it if you give me the option I'll say no if you don't give me the option I won't buy.

and it doesn't help matters that it's likely a wolf in sheep's clothing ... poorly fitting clothing at that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta love the propaganda machine "The Industry" has going on right now. Yeah, that's right publishers, developers, and studios, just keep telling us what we'll like and sooner or later we'll have to like it!

......right?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't get this, why are these companies, especially Ubisoft so set on removing ownership from players with games?
Give us 60 dollars and you can 'license' this game, but we can change the EULA at any time and you lose your games.

Sounds super good, I'll stick to not supporting their garbage.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
In a hypothetical world, where every home has access to stable, secure, constant and fast internet. Where the companies using this always online service have constant, secure, stable and fast servers, yes, always online can have a lot of benefits.

We do not live in such a world. We live in a world where the vast majority of the world do not have internet connections good enough for this to be a good idea. A world where the wealthiest game developers on the planet cannot launch a single online always title, without massive issues.

So really, he isn't saying anything worthwhile.

RatherDull said:
Do you guys intentionally look for what news stories will cause the most controversy?
That goes without saying.

Jan 27, 2011
:D Well, I think Publishers are ready to give us games at a third of the pri-*is dragged off by ubisoft execs and fed to the pigs*

But really? This is stupid.

IF we can guarantee that the connection is 100% good at all times, that their servers are always up, and that the server will never ever ever get shut down...Then yes, most people wouldn't be that upset.

But can we guarantee that in this day and age?

*points to Sim city* This proves otherwise. The infrastructure isn't ready. The gamers aren't ready.

And we will not be happy if you force this spike-studded-straitjacket on us. Don't try it, Ubisoft.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Of course we're all ready for an always online console! It's not as if someone was fired recently because of an insanely negative backlash from this so called ready audience or anything, because if that was the case then Mr. Mallat would seem pretty silly right about now.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Case in point: Origin hasn't been working on my machine for the past 2 weeks.

We still have to worry.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
So, people will be fine with it whenever companies have the proper foresight and structure to support the market without ANY issues? So, like, when pigs fly? And hell freezes over?

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Marik2 said:
Actually they went in the opposite direction, as in:
no always on DRM nothing works without internet

It's not their fault consumers don't know what they want, but are only saying what they don't want.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
RatherDull said:
Also, Assassin's Creed 2 PC version.

That is all.
nevermind that
AC2 eventually got around working relatively quickly
the new Sim City is where you should be looking at
I know it's not a Ubisoft game, but still =P