Left 4K Dead: Zombie Hunting Under 4 Kilobytes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Left 4K Dead: Zombie Hunting Under 4 Kilobytes

Want to fight off swarms of the undead, but your computer can't run Left 4 Dead? Try Left 4K Dead [http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/]: the concept of the original game distilled into a 2D, top-down shooter less than four kilobytes in size. Then, get a new computer.

Sure, it's no 2009 Java 4K Competition [http://www.bornegames.com/mirrors-edge-beta/]). Even if it resembles the real deal in much the same way that a brick resembles a house, squeezing the core concepts of a full game down to something you could have easily fit on a floppy disk back in days of yore is certainly worth a pat on the back or five.

The premise is simpler than that of the original (itself pretty damn straightforward) - you are controlling a character in a 2D, top-down world. There are lots of zombies. Kill the zombies before they kill you. Advance through levels. Go you! Sure, it's not particularly complex (though the flashlight effects are actually pretty cool, especially given the file size) but it's a fun time-killer.

If, to quote the Bard, "brevity is the soul of wit," then condensing a full-budget blockbuster title like Left 4 Dead (or Mirror's Edge) into a simple browser game and still retaining the essence of the original must be the soul of game design. Or something like that, anyway.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, this is going to be the closest thing I will be able to get to the real Left 4 Dead.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
God, I'm so old. I found this instantly more enjoyable than actual Left 4 Dead.

Sort of funny, isn't it? We have all these new super-powered graphics and AI scripts, but the essence of a game is still in the numbers, and a primitive shooter can be just as fun as a contemporary one if the numbers are strong.

Or maybe I'm still just really old.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Has anyone noticed that a lot of new games are getting flash versions made of them? First Portal: The Flash Version, which was really good in my opinion, then Mirror's Edge 2D, and now this?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
xitel said:
Has anyone noticed that a lot of new games are getting flash versions made of them? First Portal: The Flash Version, which was really good in my opinion, then Mirror's Edge 2D, and now this?
But this is different! It's really dame small!
Sweet.

But I get what you're saying. It's really just another way of marketing, I think.
Especially if the development or publishing company makes it (Or pays to get it made).

And if they don't, then it's free advertising for their game.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Sorry if it seems nit picky (because it probably is) but Left 4K Dead lacks the team work of its inspiration, so by that ... yeah, you are definitely feeling old gamer nostalgia Bluesader. Welcome to the club, we have pie =D

If you are feeling nostalgic for 2D shooting, then I think I know of a game you might enjoy if you enjoyed this. Check out Starscape on Steam, which has a sale on everything going on right now =D

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
That was better than expected. By a very, very long shot.
sirdanrhodes said:
Damn damn damn, why does this run WORSE than my laptop can run real thing!?
Because you're cursed by the Gods of Gaming?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
PRO TIP!

Don't reload compulsively. I know you have that itch on your "R" finger every time your ammo is depleting, but hear me out! Always use up your clip fully, never leave a single bullet inside. If you press reload, regardless of how much ammo is left, you'll use up a full clip!

Don't waste your clips! Spend all your bullets and then press the "R"!

Helping the zombie community, one step at a time...

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Johnn Johnston said:
That was better than expected. By a very, very long shot.
sirdanrhodes said:
Damn damn damn, why does this run WORSE than my laptop can run real thing!?
Because you're cursed by the Gods of Gaming?
It's not easy to game once you're a "Sir" you know!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
You know, they could have done it even better if they hadn't crippled themselves with that toy programming language that is Java. If they'd used a proper language, like C, C++ or assembly language, they could have attained decent performance out of that 4kB file size. I mean, it's an impressive achievement, but when the .kkrieger team managed to fit an FPS with Doom 3-quality graphics into less than 90kB, it shows you that you can do a lot with a small amount of disc space.

I do, however, have to thank the Escapist for consistently delivering news of these cool competitions, as they've delivered more great gaming moments than most commercial games I've played this year.
The whole Doom 3 quality bit is classic. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
I heard about that... I wanted to see how it played, but I don't think you can find it on the Internet.

As for this game, I'll probably pass. Though, I did have a lot of fun with Portal 2D.