Mars War Logs Goes Behind the Scenes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mars War Logs Goes Behind the Scenes

Spiders Studio CEO Jehanne Rousseau narrates a deeper look into the setting and story behind the off-world RPG Mars War Logs.

Intrigued by Mars War Logs but still feel in the dark about the whole thing? Our first look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122769-Mars-War-Logs-Makes-It-Official] at the game last month was interesting but not terribly informative, and while this new "overview" video is leavened with plenty of PR-speak, it also offers a little more of a look into what Spiders Studio is cooking up.

The game has thus far come across as very combat-heavy and the action in this trailer doesn't do much to change that perception. But Rousseau said the studio is working to make it an "immersive RPG where every choice counts."

"We wanted to give players choice about everything: skills, feats, answers in dialogs, behavior with companions or even the equipment they craft," she explained. "By giving total freedom to the player, we wanted to make them own their responsibilities."

Dialog options, including the "tone" you take with NPCs, will influence their opinions and reactions, unlock side quests, prevent (or presumably start) battles and maybe even earn you some quality time with the ladies, and the choices you make will also have a long-term impact on the direction of the story. The studio is obviously intent on selling Mars War Logs as a "real" RPG rather than simply a pseudo-brawler punctuated by moments of conversation and if it can pull that off, this could very well be the sort of dark, Total Recall-meets-Fallout RPG of which my heart has always dreamed. I like what I see so far, but that's still a might big "if."

Mars War Logs [http://www.mars-warlogs.com/?rub=home] is scheduled to come out in May for the PC. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are planned to follow, but a release date for those platforms has not been announced. (Oh, and a word of advice: Turn the subtitles on. Ms. Rousseau has a bit of an accent.)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"Let's make our game and music audio LOUD AS FUCK and the woman with the silly accent really quiet!"

Man, I just want this game more and more.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
the CEO souns like an insanely French version of Microsoft Anna

On-topic: this looks pretty interesting

nexus

May 30, 2012
Really interested in this...

That being said, the combat looks *very* rough as judged from the video preview. We'll have to see, I can give it a pass if the alluring premise is realized, plot-wise, atmosphere.. etc.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
It'll be "choose your own way to play" but i'm assuming it'll be like other rpg's where if you don't make douchebag mcsideburns choose the good options every time, it'll just get harder for you later on.

Which is kinda why I liked mass effect.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Dogstile said:
It'll be "choose your own way to play" but i'm assuming it'll be like other rpg's where if you don't make douchebag mcsideburns choose the good options every time, it'll just get harder for you later on.

The ability to punch journalists?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Dogstile said:

The ability to punch journalists?
Basically. You lost out on what, five war points? Whoop de do. Completely viable.