Nintendo Announces A Link to the Past 2

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Nintendo Announces A Link to the Past 2

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 may be gracing the 3DS by the end of the year.

Rejoice, ye Zelda faithful! The second-best Zelda game is getting a long-overdue, handheld sequel. Nintendo announced The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 during today's Nintendo Direct event. The game is a direct sequel to the SNES original, and despite Nintendo's promise that it features a new storyline and new dungeons, it appears to use the same overworld layout.

"What we want to achieve with this new Zelda game is to reinvigorate the flat 2D world of A Link To The Past with the sense of height and volume using the three-dimensional display of Nintendo 3DS," explains Reggie Fils-Aime. "With it, it's easier to differentiate levels in the environment and we can truly utilize height differences in dungeons as a puzzle-solving mechanic. While this game is set in the game world of A Link To The Past it features entirely new dungeons and an original story arc."

New additions to the now-traditional Zelda formula include a giant hammer our silent protagonist can use to crush platforms/enemies and a rather interesting mechanic that lets Link transform himself into a two dimensional wall painting. Nintendo hasn't released any details about the game's controls, but the presence of an on-screen "A button" prompt might indicate it'll use the traditional D-pad control scheme, rather than the rather unwieldy stylus controls the last two handheld Zelda efforts have been saddled with.

If you want to see what the game will look like in eye-searing 3D, you can download a 3D-enabled version of the debut trailer from the Nintendo eShop right now.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
This is quite possibly the single most exciting news I shall hear all day... Thank you.

This'll be my first new Zelda game since Twilight Princess. I avoided Skyward Sword and the DS ones because of the gimmicky controls.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
And, Nintendo seems to be out of ideas completely now...<.<

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm sure I'll get angry hate quotes for this but;

C'mon Zelda games are all fairly same-y now we've been diving into same-y sequels of same-y games. Zing.

That said it looks really well made and it's neat to see that cool 'level changing' feature that was sort of underused in Rayman Origins. Sweet looking game.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Did I see a regenerating magic bar, that also functions as ammo for the bow (in that I didn't see an arrow counter)? Burn the witch!

Yet another Zelda game yes.. colour me curious as opposed to cynical or cautiously optimistic. I've seen a lot of people thusfar saying "Wow, a sequel to the best Zelda game ever! Yes!!" However, a sequel to a good game is not automatically good and ALTTP2 could still turn out a stinker. Hopefully it is faithful to its direct lineage and brings in enough freshness without being Phourglass/Spitracks gimmicky [footnote]although they weren't bad games, were they..[/footnote].

While I've not played Skyward Sword so don't know how that fared, can we make it harder than recent Zeldas please? Aim a little higher please, Nintendo.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Hold on! They're making another Zelda game AND it's completely catering toward nostalgia?

Paint me Susan and call me orange!

I NEVER would have seen this coming!

I wonder what's going to happen THIS time!!

I'll try to contain my excitement!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm... unimpressed. There really wasn't anywhere to take a direct sequel of Link to the Past. This has the stink of a desperate cash-grab, where Nintendo plans to prey on the nostalgia of gamers everywhere.

I could easily be wrong, but I would be amazed if this is of any degree of quality.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Sacman said:
Dang not even the first page and already someone is posting about the video without watching it.

For link being able to meld into walls and traverse new areas to solve puzzles is a new idea.

Sure a lot of the landscape is based on nostalgia but if they are just taking an already great setting and adding new puzzles and mechanics into the game I am all for it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Agayek said:
I'm... unimpressed. There really wasn't anywhere to take a direct sequel of Link to the Past. This has the stink of a desperate cash-grab, where Nintendo plans to prey on the nostalgia of gamers everywhere.

I could easily be wrong, but I would be amazed if this is of any degree of quality.
well

it's not like you can say majora's mask was explicitly a "necessary" game to the storyline

but then you'd be buried with ganon

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Huh, actually didn't think it looked too bad.
Still wouldn't buy a 3DS for it but still, looks nice.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I was pretty happy to hear about the game in the first place, but when they showed the walk walking bit I was like 0_0

Between this news and Yoshi's Island 3 new earlier I'm glad I have my 3DS

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
A Link To The Past was my first ever Zelda game so I will definitely be looking at the reviews to see if it is as fun as the brief game play trailer suggests.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Sacman said:
Fans are crying for aLttP remake or sequel, Nintendo gives them a sequel with completely new dungeons while saying it's in the same world.
How the fuck does that imply they are out of ideas?
They simply gave fans what they asked for.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
When I was a kid, parts of LTTP frustrated the hell out of me and that was in 2d. I get the feeling this 3d edge is going to royally screw my blood pressure over.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Fasckira said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:
The hammer is a 'new' mechanic?
No, but crushing a block then standing on it so it pings you back up into the air is.
I can't remember if the hammer's been used in that nature before, but certainly the Iron Boots have been used to depress springs and then fire Link up to heights.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't excite me enough to buy a handheld just to find out. I guess that means I'll be browsing YouTube when it's been out for a bit.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I would normally be excited about a new zelda game but... A> reggie creeps me out when he talks and B> the art direction on this is just so.. bland and uninteresting. which is not something I'd expect from Zelda. Wind Waker and its DS sequels) had so much colour and personality, this looks like a top-down Mario but more lifeless.