EarthBound Is Coming to Wii U's Virtual Console

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
EarthBound Is Coming to Wii U's Virtual Console

Very passionate fans are to thank for the English localization of EarthBound, which should be released some time later this year.

SNES classic EarthBound, known as Mother2 in Japan, will be making its way to the Wii U's Virtual Console some time this year. It has been available in the Japanese market since March, as one of the 30 year NES anniversary Virtual Console titles. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata explains that pleas from very passionate fans on the Miiverse message board were what prompted Nintendo to release the game in Western territories.

EarthBound was first released for the SNES almost 20 years ago, way back in 1995. Iwata himself was a programmer for the game, and he says that he, along with the game's creator Shigesato Itoi, are very happy to see the game released in the west.

EarthBound plays like a your run-of-the-mill Japanese RPG, but its modern setting gives it a bit of a twist. Ness and Lucas, whom many new-generation gamers will only know from the Smash Bros. series, wielded baseball bats and frying pans instead of the traditional RPG swords and shields. Rather than slaying goblins and trolls, they face more urban fare - crazed cultists, deranged hippies, out-of-control taxicabs, and the occasional big pile of puke.

The game was critically acclaimed for its solid gameplay, quirky setting, and brilliant writing, which often contains tongue-in-cheek references to JRPG tropes. It quickly became a cult classic and this news is sure to excite fans who have been asking Nintendo for a re-release for years.

Iwata said that the actual release date will be announced later in the year. Mother3, the sequel to EarthBound, was only ever released in Japan, and never saw an English translation. Hopefully, if the Virtual Console version of EarthBound sells well, it might finally persuade Nintendo to localize its sequel.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Reyold said:
FINALLY!!! Seriously, I thought this day would never come.
what, a game worth bying the Wii U for? ba dum tsh!
but as a rabid Earthbound fan I agree. just toobad i'm in no position to enjoy it.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
The game was critically acclaimed for its solid gameplay, quirky setting, and brilliant writing, which often contains tongue-in-cheek references to JRPG tropes.
And Giygas, don't forget about Giygas!

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Well, and just when I was finally gonna get around to playing it. Although, I'm really happy for major fans all across the board.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
If it were for 3DS eshop I'd buy it IMMEDIATELY!

I'm not getting a Wii U, because I already hate my Wii that I got years ago and barely used.

I still have me SNES cartridge and the Best Manual Ever that came with it.

I even have my file with the Sword of Kings, Gutsy Bat, and Gaia Beam.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Holy fizzbitch, it seems its actually getting a European release too. That's only the first time ever.

Sadly, not enough to convince me to buy a Wii U.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
AH fuck nuggets. Why cant they just put it on the Wii Virtual Console as well?! I mean how fucking hard could that be.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Guess the good part of all of this is that us Brits would be able to play it legitimately for the first time, also it would probably make those lame VGA resellers on eBay fail, in all seriousness, buying chunks of things from one auction and getting a free airsucked acrylic casing for a box to resell for almost thousand dollars is not good, even to collectors.

Hopefully it leads Nintendo doing something like making Mother 3 into some sort of 3DS title, or even 3DSware..they have the manpower, or maybe they could even ask Tomato's permission for using his translations even....assuming that Nintendo could restructure their code to fit in the VWF's (variable width fonts) he added.

Either that or Earthbound Zero, they fully completed it but refused to release it due to the NES dieing out, what made it worse that the changes they did to the American version was eventually added into the Mother 1+2 GBA game (namely running with B) which meant that the copied Rom image was the real deal, and not just a heavily articulated hack.

Then again, Earthbound Zero is the least popular of the trio, Earthbound itself is mainly the figurehead because of Ness' appearance in Smash Bros, and Mother 3 got exposed to an even larger audience with the original fans combined.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
While that is awesome, I could just fire up my SNES right NOW if I wanted to play it.
I LOVE that game. :D

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
This was the one game I was hoping would come out on virtual console when I got my wii. Now that it is finally coming out I have mixed feelings. Excited that it's being made available once again but sad because I really don't feel like buying a wii-u.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
What's great is not only is it going to be available to Wii U owners, but the resale price of the cartridges should go down so you can probably get it for cheap and still be able to play it. The game wasn't at all rare, there's always a couple dozen auctions on eBay at any time, so if you don't want to get a Wii U (why wouldn't you? :p )you could easily pick up a Super Nintendo and the game for much less. I'd imagine we'll see a Wii U price drop by Christmas anyhow, and by then there should be plenty of great games available.

Hopefully this convinces Nintendo to release Mother 1 and 3 worldwide as well, but I would guess they'd release them as a 3DS compilation instead of direct downloads. Mother 3 never saw an official translation (no way Nintendo could use the fan translation) so that would take some work to get done, and a physical release could cover that cost.

All in all, things are looking up for Earthbound and Nintendo fans.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I always thought it was available on the wii, maybe just because my friend would always wave his modded wii around.

[sub][sub][sub]HA.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

But either way I still want Mother 3 more.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
This is great news, it's just a shame I don't have a Wii U.

Release it for 3DS and you haz all of my money, Nintendo. And while you're at it... Mother 3? :D

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Oh ya... its because of the fans want it that you are going to release it, oh but fans don't want Mother 3 no no... they have never said anything or did anything to show that they would want that game... ohwait