Girl Scouts To Earn Game Development Badges

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Girl Scouts To Earn Game Development Badges

The Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles want young women to be excited about careers in the videogame industry.

As regular Escapist visitors may be aware, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/feed-dump/7056-Bacon-Taco-Badges>the Boy Scouts of America recently introduced a Game Design Merit Badge that can be obtained alongside Athletics or Backpacking. Of course, one inevitable question that followed was "What do the Girl Scouts get"? As though in response, the Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles have partnered with Women in Games International to design a new Game Development badge for the program. Even better, the new badge isn't simply gender-swapping the Boy Scout patch, but also places a strong emphasis on software design and prospective careers in the game industry.

The badge's design is still being worked out, but the principles behind it are clearly stated. "Our ultimate goal is to create a STEM-aligned (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) video game badge," said WIGI vice president Amy Allison. "Creating this badge will get young girls excited in technology and science and let them know that they, too, can have a career in the video game industry." For comparison's sake, the Boy Scouts Badge Gamestar Mechanic development tool to ensure that both design and software principles at being taught at the same time.

Even if the Game Development badge is a reaction to the Boy Scouts' version, it still sounds like a great program. The games industry <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104063-U-K-Game-Devs-Would-Hire-Women-If-There-Were-Any>could always use strong female voices, and encouraging interest among youth is a great first step. Hopefully the Game Development badge, or one like it, can eventually be adopted by <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scouts_of_the_USA>the Girl Scouts of the USA in the near future.

Source: Ars Technica

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
1) Is that the badge?
2) Doesn't a prototype indicate design and software principles have been taught?

I really hope they don't implement a standardized test.
Nope, just design. Making your game digitally is optional.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Oh hell yes! Now I wish I could have been in Girl Guides :p

deathbydeath said:
Wait, there's a gaming badge for Girl Scouts and not Boy Scouts? Gaming is fucking sexist.
Pretty sure the Boy Scouts have one.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
deathbydeath said:
Wait, there's a gaming badge for Girl Scouts and not Boy Scouts? Gaming is fucking sexist.
Pretty sure if you read the article you would have seen the author mention that the Boy Scouts have one.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I guess the part that bothers me is...

"Even better, the new badge isn't simply gender-swapping the Boy Scout patch, but also places a strong emphasis on software design and prospective careers in the game industry."

In other words there is more support behind it being an actual career prospect for women and not men. How is that fair? It's not, and it is actually sexist. It should be equal opportunity, and celebrating it not being an equivalent badge is just cruel.

I've written about this a lot on the message boards, but providing career development and opportunities for one sex at the expense of the other is still sexism. It's not the solution and only exacerbates other social problems such as high suicide rates among men and a loss of low-middle class workplace identity.

Luckily in my country Scouts is an all encompassing term and both men and women work together with the same standards.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I used to say, "As soon as schools started offering degrees for videogames, it's already too late to jump on that ship, it's sailed". Now I have to revise it to, "When the girl scouts make it a badge, that ship has sailed". Videogame making is the new fast food joint. That is happy.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I ways find it funny when people jump straight into game development and then realising it's more complicated, dull and dreary. Real gaming development isn't GUI based. Teach them basic programming languages instead.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
mad825 said:
I ways find it funny when people jump straight into game development and then realising it's more complicated, dull and dreary. Real gaming development isn't GUI based. Teach them basic programming languages instead.
Having done a lot of work in economics and statistical analysis, I'm actually pretty sure those skills would be easily transferable to the video game industry as they involve a strong knowledge of how to build and use complex macros and properly utilize arrays.

But even then I'm not entirely sure that economics would be more or less interesting that programming for computer games.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Wasn't the Boy's game badge was to
Make a time table to play games alongside Homework
Set a time limit for your games.
Play a parent/teacher approved game?
Because all of those are boring. Makes me think about signing up for the girl scouts though to show dem my 1337 coding sk1llz

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Raioken18 said:
Having done a lot of work in economics and statistical analysis, I'm actually pretty sure those skills would be easily transferable to the video game industry as they involve a strong knowledge of how to build and use complex macros and properly utilize arrays.
gamestar introductory video said:
focusing on game design rather than computer programming
...Heh...The sad thing is that this is being used to give a false pretence on what gaming development is like.

The "toolkit" (doesn't dare say SDK) emphasises on GUI based creations minimising the need to do code. It about creating a game rather than making one. You could read one page off a VB book and still learn more programming.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
With a group that is actually involved in games, I hope this turns out better than the other badge.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well that sound way better compared to the Boys. If I recalled that episode of Fee Dump correctly, the Boy Scount badges has something to do with playing a "sensible" game with a teacher/ adult supervising the game aswell or something like that.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
deathbydeath said:
When I read the title I was going to comment something similar, but then I actually read the article.

Although you did jump the gun, there does seem to be a lot of emphasis on getting women in the games industry as of late.

To make things truly equal though, they shouldn't have girls and boys separated into different groups that are there for essentially the same purpose. (I'll admit, I have no idea what Boys and Girls scouts actually do, but I'd guess it's basically the same thing but tailored to the individual gender).