Court Cancels Langdell Edge Trademarks

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Court Cancels Langdell Edge Trademarks

Tim Langdell has already protested, saying that the court's decision was defective.

Remember Tim Langdell, he who claims rights to the word 'Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104152-Court-to-Cancel-Tim-Langdells-Edge-Trademarks]' - and also, for that matter, Cutting Edge, Gamer's Edge, Edge (again) and The Edge - and who's been embroiled in trademark disputes these past few years? Well, the court has finally weighed in on the matter, and all five trademarks are now void. Or, as the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board has it, "the petition to cancel is granted, and Registration Nos. 2219837, 2251584, 3105816, 3381826 and 3559342 will be cancelled in due course."

Ah, 2219837, you were taken from us too soon; and that's pretty much Langdell's feelings on the matter too. He's already filed a letter of protest [http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/ttabvue-92051465-CAN-101.pdf], describing the notice as "defective," and in any event untimely. Langdell had two motions in the works to save his trademarks, and this court order effectively torpedoes both. The defective complaint has to do with wording, you'll be unsurprised to hear. Langdell argues that the order misidentified the actual holder of the trademarks - it wasn't Edge Games, he says, but The Edge Interactive Media Inc, with some of them jointly held by Future Publishing Ltd - and, as an extra sting in the tail, has asked that the attorneys acting for the petitioner be disbarred.

So, while Edge is now a free agent, this probably isn't the last we'll hear of Langdell's trademarks. If you're the sort that likes reading legal documents, by all means head over Android [http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92051465&pty=CAN&eno=100] for some savings. "We are so happy for all the victims of this trademark troll," says David of Mobigame, "truth and justice finally won!"

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-edge-developer-celebrates-as-tim-langdell-trademark-finally-cancelled]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
To celebrate, everyone should play Edgey McEdgerson's Hedge Edger [http://www.kongregate.com/games/NirTivAal/edgey-mcedgersons-hedge-edger], a game based on an old ENN joke about this whole thing.

Fun game too :D

Also this

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Dear copyright system, take this as a sign that you really, really, really need to be restructured from the ground up.

Madman Muntz

Apr 16, 2013
Great news. Now can someone please counter sue the shit out of this guy for wasting the courts, and those who have legitimate needs for justice, valuable time and money? He's made such an ass of himself that I feel just losing the case isn't enough punishment. I'm not going to be happy until the jerk ends up living in a cardboard box.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Dr.Awkward said:
Dear copyright system, take this as a sign that you really, really, really need to be restructured from the ground up.
Not copywrite. Trademark. Two different things.

But yeah, I'd like to know who the idiot was who approved the trademark in the first place. It should have been summarily rejected for being far too vague. Somebody fucked up.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I just filed a trademark on the letter "e". Everyone on this site is getting sued!

(I'm kidding, but how long 'til someone actually tries this?)

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
He's trying to get people disbarred? Please say he gets some sort of fine for wasting the courts time.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Dr.Awkward said:
The trademark system is significantly less disfunctional than the copyright one.

At least trademarks are trying to fight against plagiarism, and one product pretending to be another, which is a fundamentally useful idea. It's only a matter f how widely it is interpreted.

Copyright, on the other hand, is a fundamentally misguided attempt at pretending that IP is actual "property", that can't ever be copied at all. Some aspects of it are useful, but those are so rare that it would be easier to throw the whole thing out and write new laws about the few issues with copying that actually *are* problematic.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Zombie_Moogle said:
I just filed a trademark on the letter "e". Everyone on this site is getting sued!)
I don't think you...is...right? Hehehe. Oh shit! *hands over a fiver*

I thought this whole thing was settled ages ago, apparently I was wrong. It also makes you wonder why Langdell didn't spend all of the time and money that must have been involved in this case actually making a game or something. You know, to show he might actually be using his nebulous trademark and not just waiting for someone to fall in to his little trap. I'm suprised he didn't just sue all polygons for having edges so we know he is truly mad.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This loser is still going? I figured it was all over when Edge showed up on Steam a couple years ago.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Well, you've got to give him credit, he's been going down fighting for a while now. It's pathetic and yet impressive in a weird way.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Does he not realize he looks like the biggest douchebag tool on the planet right now? Just stop, dude. Now is not the time to keep pressing this crap because you're looking like a child at this point. Stop it before I treat you like a spoiled child and take you out into the parking lot and spank your bratty ass.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I really hope his letter of protest goes nowhere. Fuck you and your faulty trademarks, Langdell.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Huh? I thought he was dead.

Oh well. Tim? Shake hands with Orthy, EA, and Jack Thompson. From here on in, you'll be sitting with them in the Loser's Circle, reserved for those 'special' sort of idiots that we regularly lambast like the rest of the internet does. GOOD LUCK!