Razer Will Honor 90 Percent Coupon Codes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Razer Will Honor 90 Percent Coupon Codes

Razer says it's going to hurt, but it will honor orders made with an unauthorized coupon code that discounted purchases by 90 percent.

Earlier this week it came to light that Razer's U.K.-based online store was accepting a promotional code that gave buyers a 90 percent discount on their purchases. The whole thing was uncovered (and then quickly stopped) when Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/16/4231466/razer-store-promo-code-90-percent-discount] sent an inquiry to Razer, which stated unequivocally that no such promotion was underway.

Nonetheless, now that it's all been sorted out, Razer says it will honor the discounted purchases. "This coupon code was NOT authorized nor approved by Razer and was generated by a third party to test our shopping cart (and left in our system unknown to us till now)" Razer co-founder and CEO Min-Liang Tan explained on Facebook. "While we have the option of canceling the orders legally, we've always had a customer comes first policy at Razer and in respect of this incident, we have decided to honor the orders that were placed using the unauthorized code by Razer fans buying single products for their own use."

It's a seriously solid move by Razer, especially since the steep discount code will cost the company "an insane amount of losses" which will "really really hurt us as we're still a small company," Tan wrote. Because of that, Razer won't honor multiple unit orders made with the code, but will allow customers who placed them to buy one of each item ordered. "Our focus is on doing the right thing for our fans, the gamers and the community, not for resellers or users to profit from this," he wrote. "That's not gaming, that's not our deal."

"It's going to take a few weeks (and up to a few months in certain cases) to get all these orders processed and shipped - a lot of stuff was already back-ordered due to high demand - and we ask that customers please bear with us," he continued. "We apologize to anyone miffed or confused by this week's happenings in the U.K., we appreciate everyone's patience, and we thank all of our customers for their support."

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/minliangtan/posts/512572145467239]

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
That's really nice of them, although 90% off Razer stuff would make it normal priced compared to everyone else :p

Oct 2, 2012
Thats really awesome of them. I do feel really bad though and if I had taken part in the ordeal I's probably have cancelled my orders and re-ordered for the normal prices.

Hope they don't lose too much for them to stay afloat.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
Wish I'd known about this, then I could replace the three 360 controllers and two mice I bought from them that have all failed.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I'm glad I recently ordered the Razer Hydra now (more than I was before)

Stand up guys over there. I'll be supporting them in the future (smart move, in that regard)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
That is wonderful and I give them ultimate respect for owning their mistake.

Regrettably after owning Razer products in the past, even with a 90% off coupon it would not be enough to get me to purchase another.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm very impressed. That's going to hurt them, but I'm glad they're standing by their customers rather than dicking them over. Massive props to them and I shall certainly be looking into their stuff when I'm less broke.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I cannot remark about other countries but in the UK I am pretty sure they have to honour the codes because of consumer law. Retailers do not have to honour an advertised price, either on shelf or through an online store but once the order is placed it is a different matter. Advertised prices and the checkouts are essentially an "invitation to treat" and its basically the opening of a negotiation about the price.

By placing the order though it becomes a contract and its unlawful to unexpectedly charge more, it is slightly more complicated through online shopping and mail order but the laws still apply. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that's how it is, it definitely is that way in store. Being online might complicate it more than I am aware of though.

Edit:

Just checked they can outright cancel the order, so its a nice gesture of goodwill on Razers behalf.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Rather nice of them.

On the flip side, I'm guessing we won't be seeing any discounted Razer hardware on Woot.com for a while...

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Now THAT is customer service. I'm going to make a point of buying one of their products.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
J Tyran said:
I cannot remark about other countries but in the UK I am pretty sure they have to honour the codes because of consumer law. Retailers do not have to honour an advertised price, either on shelf or through an online store but once the order is placed it is a different matter. Advertised prices and the checkouts are essentially an "invitation to treat" and its basically the opening of a negotiation about the price.

By placing the order though it becomes a contract and its unlawful to unexpectedly charge more, it is slightly more complicated through online shopping and mail order but the laws still apply. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that's how it is, it definitely is that way in store. Being online might complicate it more than I am aware of though.

Edit:

Just checked they can outright cancel the order, so its a nice gesture of goodwill on Razers behalf.
I think there is a big difference between honoring an "advertised" price and honoring what essentially was an unintended oversight/glitch/etc. These kinds of things happen all the time, deal sites have popped up around things like this where people find odd discounts that were unintended. Heck, I still remember when I got the full Rockband 2 set near release for $19.99 when the real retail price was supposed to be $119.99.
Good will for a company to actually honor it, but in no way were they legally obligated to since it wasn't an official price nor was it an advertised price.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Rednog said:
J Tyran said:

Edit:

I think there is a big difference between honoring an "advertised" price and honoring what essentially was an unintended oversight/glitch/etc. These kinds of things happen all the time, deal sites have popped up around things like this where people find odd discounts that were unintended. Heck, I still remember when I got the full Rockband 2 set near release for $19.99 when the real retail price was supposed to be $119.99.
Good will for a company to actually honor it, but in no way were they legally obligated to since it wasn't an official price nor was it an advertised price.
Not advertised, retailers are never obligated to honour an advertised price. Once an order is placed, payment is arranged or money is transferred it becomes the equivalent of a contract. Even if its a mistake they cannot charge more, it seems they cannot even attempt to charge more, i.e they cannot send an email saying it was a mistake and they want more money to complete the transaction. Advertised prices are just negotiation but contracts are legally binding, so mistake or not it takes a court case to arbitrate the "dissolution of contract" and decide whether it was a genuine mistake or a possible "bait and switch" by trying to charge more than the agreed price of a product.

Retailers either have to complete the transaction at the price agreed on in the order or completely cancel it, in this instance Razer had the rights to inform the customers that the orders had been cancelled and refund any money that had changed hands. Its either that or go to court. They are honouring the orders purely out of good will, which is pretty decent of them

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Wow... that's amazingly awesome of them. Well looks like I know where I'm going to buy my next frivolous purchase.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I feel like slightly less of a tool for reading that "Cult of Razer" blurb that came in my Carcharias headset box last Christmas.
Well played, Razer.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've always said Razer products are like high-end sport car body with a chassis and mechanics of an economy car. They look great, but will fall apart quick. However, I wouldn't mind picking up a Razer Blade for $200.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, I already love Razer for giving me the most comfortable headset I've ever owned (Carcharias) and if they ever break I know I'll buy another set. However I've never had the "shoddy quality" problem with anything I've bought from them so it doesn't look like I'll need to replace them anytime soon! *crash*

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I think this deserves a slow clap.

They managed to both make their customers happy. Minimize losses by denying multiple orders of the same item. But allowing you more than one type of item.

I don't think there is a single way to spin this against them.

Though guys, should probably test your shopping cart on a different site next time in-house rather than online.