Philly Turns Entire Skyscraper Into Pong

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Philly Turns Entire Skyscraper Into Pong

A university professor's daydream turned into what might be the biggest Pong ever.

As part of their annual Philly Tech Week, event organizers in Philadelphia have turned a building into a giant screen for a game of Pong. The 29-story Cira Centre has a grid of LEDs on mirrored glass, and those were perfect "pixels" to become a 400-foot screen. All for the glory of the venerable Pong. Two joysticks were connected to a laptop, which was connected to a 4G hotspot about a quarter mile away. The 4G went right to the computers controlling the building's lights, and it looks like, aside from a little lag, the giant screen worked pretty well.

The entire display was the daydream of Drexel University Game Design professor Frank Lee. Lee told NPR that one day in 2008, as he was driving by the building he "saw Tetris shapes rotating and falling. And that began the long journey to make this game." The organizers of Philly Tech Week, it seems, liked the end product of Lee's five year dream. More games of Pong will be played on the skyscraper screen throughout Tech Week.

Darren Davis, a 17 year old high school junior, was the victor. He won the right to play in a lottery of around 1,000 people.

Source: NPR [http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/04/21/178280618/philly-turns-skyscraper-into-video-game-screen-for-tech-week]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err didn't someone did this ages ago granted it was a smaller building? Regardless it is still pretty neat.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And now after seeing this, I await a game of Tetris played on a skyscraper that, whenever a line is completed, destroys a floor of the building.

There may be casualties but my idea is clearly worth it.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
This is literally just a few blocks down the street from me and somehow I had no knowledge of it until now. I'm not sure if I should feel shame/anger at myself or just gratitude to The Escapist for letting me know about local, wonderful things.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
And now after seeing this, I await a game of Tetris played on a skyscraper that, whenever a line is completed, destroys a floor of the building.

We can do it for a building that is being demoed. Of course it would take forever to get that damn straight block! >.<

OT: That's pretty cool that the people who owned the building let them do that. I wouldn't mind something like that happening for one of my Uni classes one day.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If I ever become an evil Cyberpunk Villain, I plan to use the city my corperation dominates as a giant video game system, and dispatch my private army to terminate anyone who interferes.... I am so far above you you plebes have homes only to serve as the screen for my gamebox. If you don't wash your windows, my enforcers shall execute you and find corperate proles more in line with their duties. :)

That said, it is pretty cool, one of those stunts I'm likely to remember for a long time, and referance years down the road when it's hard to prove it ever happened. :)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:

We can do it for a building that is being demoed. Of course it would take forever to get that damn straight block! >.<

OT: That's pretty cool that the people who owned the building let them do that. I wouldn't mind something like that happening for one of my Uni classes one day.
well, we already have the technology

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122065-Meet-Tokyos-Amazing-Shrinking-Building

just has to be faster