Xbox Live Pizza Hut App Out Now

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Xbox Live Pizza Hut App Out Now

Microsoft's invested massively in Xbox Live, and needs to make money. So, who ordered Italian sausage and mushroom?

"We're always looking at ways to give our audience more of what they're interested in," says Larry Hyrb, aka Xbox Live's Major Nelson. "If you look at our audience, they love pizza. I mean, who doesn't?" Which is why, you may be pleased to hear, there's a new app due for Xbox Live April 23rd: the Pizza Hut app. You'll be able to access the Hut's entire menu online, choose toppings and place orders via Kinect, voice commands or the controller, pay for it, and then just wait for it to turn up on your doorstep. You'll even be able to share your choice of pizza with your friends via Facebook social media. Local deals are integrated into the system, so there's no risk of missing out on the latest promotion.

"The app was a logical progression," says Major Nelson. Pizza Hut's been experimenting with mobile apps for a while now; to the pizza behemoth, Xbox Live is just another platform. To Microsoft, Xbox Live is the service it's made a massive investment in, and it needs content. Major Nelson admits Xbox Live has to generate the right content to compliment its online platform. "It's about what's right for the living room space," says Major Nelson, and Microsoft is confident that pizzas, bread sticks, buffalo wings and all the rest are exactly right.

From launch straight through to May 6th, those Xbox users who download and order through the app will get 15% off their first purchase. So far, this service is a US roll-out; no word on its availability elsewhere, yet.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/22/4252934/pizza-hut-for-xbox-360-app-kinect]

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
While I'll admit it's probably going to have its uses I can't help but think "THIS is what consoles are today?" The bit about "You'll even be able to share your choice of pizza with your friends via Facebook social media." just cracked me up. I mean holy crap...

Not to mention yet another service not available outside of America. At this point MS should just flat out admit to everyone they've made a "service" that only applies to the one continent and anyone else shelling out for Gold is just being ripped off. I regret all the years I paid for it when the only thing I COULD access was multiplayer... leaves a bad aftertaste ya know?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

This seems so ridiculous, I'm not sure whether or not this is idiotic or genius. I will have to try it though, if it makes its' way out of the US

Also rather sadly, this is probably the best use out of the Kinect in quite some time XD

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Eight-year old me is thinking this is awesome. Twenty-eight year old me doesn't know what to say about this. A useless feature, to be sure. Pick up the damn phone and talk to someone already, or if not, order online. If you have neither phone nor computer, what are the odds that you have a 360, and internet connection and enough money to spend on pizza? Although unintentional, I can't help but think this kind of thing isn't going to help the "gamer" image any.

Mar 30, 2010
About time that an app like this exists! I mean, when I'm sat playing games on my sofa, getting to the phone to place an order can be a real stretch. I'm serious, we're talking four feet here. Four whole feet, people.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I remember hearing Everquest added a similar feature. I can't say I want to tell all my Facebook friends when I order a pizza. That bit seems really odd to me.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Maybe I just don't like my friends enough, but I don't care if they order a stuffed crust pizza with sausage, mushrooms, onions and a side of bread sticks. Unless I'm monitoring their nutritional needs, these are things I don't need to know. I feel like there's some time and resources that could have been better spent...

I am glad I don't have to move from the couch to order food though. I've been meaning to cut back on my exercise.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Kalezian said:
so, now there is litterally no reason for me to go outside anymore.

I can sit and order a pizza with some drinks from the safety of my own console [never mind that before I would just order it online through my computer, which is right next to my console, but whatever].

Thanks Pizza Hut and Microsoft for adding to the obesity problem.
You do need to walk to the door and open it.....

To be honest, I am surprised this wasn't already a part of Xbox Live...

I personally have no interest in it though... But then I haven't payed for Xbox live since 2010.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Not even the first time Pizza Hut have done this - hell, I think Everquest (or at the very least everquest 2) pulled this before, so the hut have previous, and... mmh, couldn't care less. Besides, surely one of those pads would be a nightmare to juggle while gobbling down a Stuffed Crust Meat Feast? (Make up your own puns, people)

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
"We're always looking at ways to give our audience more of what they're interested in," says Larry Hyrb, aka Xbox Live's Major Nelson. "If you look at our audience, they love pizza. I mean, who doesn't?"
It was at that point that I had to turn away from my computer screen in order to force my gaping mouth shut. They're so off the mark it reminds me of a bad sitcom joke where someone's asked to hit the sack and they proceed to beat up a bag of laundry. (Also, I died a little inside when I read that it was Facebook-integrated.)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Heh...don't know if serious or trolling, Pizza Hut. But alright, color me interested. I might order a pizza just to see how it works.
But still, I didn't have any problem before when all I had to do was dial Pizza Hut's number, order my pizza and wait. At least I'll have less human interaction with the 360 app.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Yeah, it's a little silly. But it isn't bad. There will be the inevitable people doing the typical "rabble rabble" about the whole thing, and I will end up not getting why.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
ArkhamHorror said:
I remember hearing Everquest added a similar feature. I can't say I want to tell all my Facebook friends when I order a pizza. That bit seems really odd to me.
What happens when you get your pizza topping trending, do you get paid royalties?

There's a face I'm pulling that I can't really express in text.