Metro: Last Light Looks at Guns and Gear

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro: Last Light Looks at Guns and Gear

You won't survive long in the Metro without good equipment, but good equipment is awfully hard to come by.

One of the hallmarks of Metro 2033 was the weaponry, specifically that much of it was cobbled-together crap lacking accuracy and punch, and quality ammunition was scarce. And then there were the masks, essential for survival but difficult to use and always in short supply. For gamers used to the latest and greatest in high-quality, hard-hitting military firepower, it could be quite a shock.

Good news, everyone! It looks like we'll get more of the same in the upcoming sequel, Metro: Last Light. The latest Survival Guide trailer doesn't get into a lot of detail but it does reference the (not really) beloved "bastard gun" and those awful masks, plus the trusty hand-pump flashlight and the "countdown to doom" wristwatch.

The addition of weapon customization options may make the lower-end guns a little more effective, but we have yet to see how that will actually work. Developer 4A Games said in an online Q&A [http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?p=10264] last year that "virtually all" of the guns from Metro 2033 will return in Last Light, albeit with tweaks and options for various attachments and under-barrel mounts on some, and several new ones will be added as well, including a "shotgun pistol" and bolt-action rifle. It's not exactly the high-powered Austrian hardware you may wish for while you're plinking away at fascists with an air-powered rifle in a pitch black tunnel, but that's life in the Metro, baby - and really, would we want it any other way?

Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366735222&sr=8-2&keywords=Metro+Last+Light] launches on May 14 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh me oh may oh my I am looking forward to this game. I seriously hope it's just as good as the first Metro

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Oh, the fun I've had playing the first Metro, I really hope this one is just as good. Looks like the weapons are a bit more unique this time around, hopefully I can still find the Van Helsing.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remember, people, if you're playing Metro 2033 for the first time, play it on PC!

(seriously)

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Optimistic for this one. That trailer paints it in a very positive light and I had a blast with the first game. Give me more chunky, homemade, cobbled together weapons please and make me feel like the poor bastard on the receiving end is really feeling the impact! They feel it, I feel it. I can still hear the screams and gasps of guys whose masks I've shot off..

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I just finished my 5th or so playthrough of the first one yesterday since I figured out how to run it on high with few frame rate drops. Needless to say, my i3 processor and integrated GT 240M were making a noise like no other. I can't decide whether or not to give up and get the ps3 version or risk getting on Steam and only being able to play on medium anyway

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Oh, the fun I've had playing the first Metro, I really hope this one is just as good. Looks like the weapons are a bit more unique this time around, hopefully I can still find the Van Helsing.
I think you mean the Helsing.

Freeze the video at 3:06/3:07, where it shows St Basil's Cathedral.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
I really like these mini features they are doing out every Tuesday. Each one magnifies my excitement tenfold, and a little bit of wee comes out.