Rumor: Batman: Arkham Origins Will Add Multiplayer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rumor: Batman: Arkham Origins Will Add Multiplayer

Anonymous sources have said that the third entry in the Arkham series will introduce new multiplayer modes.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City are arguably the definitive Batman games, elevating the character to heights never before reached in the realm of gaming. The Arkham games have also been renowned as some of the best single player titles in years, creating experiences that were accessible, deep, and immersive. Now, if rumors can be believed, the next game in the franchise, Batman: Arkham Origins, will be introducing multiplayer to the previously solo-centric series.

Speaking to Kotaku, an anonymous source indicated the new game would be adding multiplayer components. Though offering scant details on what and how many modes would be added, they described one scenario putting players in the role of famous villains trying to bring down Batman and Robin. The baddies involved could apparently include the likes Killer Croc, Deadshot, Firefly, Black Mask, Deathstroke and "some kind of Electroman character," said the source. Though Kotaku has expressed trust in its sources, Warner Bros. Games Montreal, the studio behind Arkham Origins, declined to comment when contacted, leaving the information unconfirmed.

Some were disappointed to learn that Arkham Origins <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123159-The-Bat-Is-Back-in-Batman-Arkham-Origins>wasn't being developed by Rocksteady, the studio behind the first two Arkham titles. The addition of multiplayer, in turn, is likely to be taken by detractors as a poor sign of things to come. That said, it might be best for gamers to avoid knee jerk reactions. There are examples, for certain, of single player games that had pointless multiplayer modes <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119332-Spec-Ops-Multiplayer-Is-a-Cancerous-Growth>forced on them, but there's no reason that Arkham Origins' multiplayer can't be a fun and valuable experience. Considering the size of Batman's retinue and rogue's gallery, it's not hard to envision a few fun ways a solid multiplayer mode could take shape.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/batman-arkham-origins-will-have-multiplayer-sources-s-478365060>Kotaku

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Everything old is new again. Haven't we been here before? Games with excellent single player experiences having multiplayer shoehorned onto them. And by a new developer, to boot?

Not the best tidings.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
We had the same rumours with Arkham City, I'll wait for official confirmation before I say anything.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
And now if everyone on the tour bus will turn to the left you can see a publisher making the same mistake everyone else has made again. Now continuining on up ahead you can see what is left of the occupy mass effect movement outside of biowares headquarters...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Devil is in the details, but I could see enjoying a Co-op or even vs Arkham Game.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
While it's true that we don't know that such an addition would be bad, name me one single-player series that was improved in anyway by adding multiplayer. You know, let's make it easier, name which ones were not lessened with the addition of multiplayer.

Because, frankly, the only one that come to mind is Splinter Cell. And how many have been worse off for tacked on multiplayer? Loads. Loads and loads.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
To quote Archer: "WHYYYYYYYYYYY........do people do this?"

This is an insanely bad idea, and devs and publishers need to realize that strictly single-player games are not a bad thing. My evidence? The first two Arkham games!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Why would people even buy it if Rocksteady aren't developing it? They seem to be using the "Arkham" name just to exploit the people that liked AA and AC.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well if that's true I guess I wont be buying it.

Rocksteady is rumoured to be making another Batman game as well, so I guess I'll just wait for that instead.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
If this is true it tells me that they have run out of ideas for Batman Arkham series and it is time to milk it while the game still has good graces.

This is of course a big IF.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Even though it's one of the things on the list of "signs the IP is going stale/they don't know what to do with it/WE WANT EVEN MORE MONEY", I don't entirely think this needs to be a bad thing as long as it doesn't take away from the single player.

In saying all that, ever since the co-op rumours for AC started going around I've been thinking, how would a multiplayer even work? Especially given the way the counters work, the way most enemies can't always attack once you're doing a finishing move and the way time actually slows down when performing certain actions. They'd need to do some serious tweaking to get the combat system to work in multiplayer, especially any kind of versus mode. At least if it was Rocksteady they might be able to do that seeing as they designed the system but new guys? I sense it'll be broken.

But meh, haven't bought a gold sub in about 2 years and don't plan starting again anytime soon so I won't be playing it anyway.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Oh for fuck's sake... I was worried about this game as soon as I found out Rocksteady wasn't developing it. This just adds to my apprehension.

Seriously, stop fucking adding tacked on multiplayer modes that add nothing to the game, simply take dev time away from the main campaign and probably won't be played in two months anyway!

Have games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite and the absolute wealth of awesome indie content taught publishers NOTHING?!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
After Mass Effect 3, I try not to pre-judge added on multiplayer, but I can't help but worry about this.

The only way I could possibly see this working is maybe a Batman and Robin co-op campaign or something.