Retailers Accidentally Leak Call of Duty: Ghosts

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Retailers Accidentally Leak Call of Duty: Ghosts

A hastily removed Tesco advertisement may have revealed Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare prequel.

Annual Call of Duty releases have become something of a gaming tradition, and the first sign they're coming is usually an accidental leak. This year is no exception: UK retailer Tesco recently posted an advertisement for Call of Duty: Ghosts, <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/call-of-duty-ghosts-accidentally-outed?abthid=5178053f9ff86beb1f000011>only to quickly snatch it down once the news spread like wildfire. If the box art can be believed, Ghosts is the latest entry by series creator Infinity Ward, and features the return of Modern Warfare 2's Ghost as a protagonist. Almost immediately afterwards, <a href=http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=219015>a second ad from Target was discovered giving Ghosts a launch date of November 5, 2013.

Since this advertisement has "unofficial leak" written all over it, anything that can be said about the game is speculation. The game will presumably be a Modern Warfare prequel, considering that the last time we saw Ghost, he was dead and on fire. If that's the case, then the Ghosts of the title could include any of Modern Warfare's deceased protagonists. Alternatively, Infinity Ward could adopt the Black Ops 2 formula of telling a story across multiple time periods. Then again, I could say Ghosts is about Captain Price's battle against time-traveling ghost Nazis, and my speculation would remain precisely that. What can be safely said, considering that Tesco had an advertisement at all, is that Activision has an official announcement to reveal in the immediate future.

Still, maybe we should be skeptical. After all, this would be the first Call of Duty box art in half a decade depicting a soldier completely turned away from the camera. Clearly, this must be fake.

Source: <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/24/call-of-duty-ghosts-accidentally-outed?abthid=5178053f9ff86beb1f000011>IGN

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I have to chuckle whenever anyone calls the information that a new Call of Duty will be released in November a 'leak'.

Still, maybe we should be skeptical. After all, this would be the first Call of Duty box art in half a decade depicting a soldier completely turned away from the camera. Clearly, this must be fake.
Well played.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
I haven't enjoyed a call of duty since World at War but one involving Price fighting time-travelling ghost Nazis would be a day one buy for me. To bad it will likely just be another run forward and shot terrorists deal.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I actually just reinstalled Call of duty 4. Haven't played a multiplayer shooter in ages :p

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
A stealth centric COD game? Is that even possible?

lRookiel said:
I actually just reinstalled Call of duty 4. Haven't played a multiplayer shooter in ages :p
Dude... there are better options. Warframe. Ghost Recon Online. Homefront. Mass Effect 3. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. Natural Selection 2. FEAR 3. CoD 4 has not aged that great on PC by comparison, and the first two things I listed are free.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
On the one hand, I'm don't want to shell another buck for essentially the 12th clone of the exact same game I've played already, except with some minor touch ups. Unless they push the same innovation that Treyarch attempted to go for in Black Ops 2, I'm probably not going to bother with this.

On the other hand: GHOOOOOO-O-O-HOOOOST!!

*angelic choir and grenade explosions*

Mar 30, 2010
So this is kinda confirmation of the rumour reported here:
[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106669-Rumor-Infinity-Ward-Working-On-Modern-Warfare-Prequel[/link]
a few years ago? I wondered what'd happened to that...

Let's hope the use of the title 'Ghosts' is an indication of a more stealth focused gameplay mechanic. I always enjoyed the stealth based missions of CoD 4 & 6 over the all-guns-blazing set piece missions anyway.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Maybe the cover art is gonna start a new trend of having a soldier look away from the camera this time.

You never know.

Still, this wouldn't surprise me if this an actual thing.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
The sun shines.

Grass grows.

McDonald's sells factory made mish-mashes of protein, salt, and corn starch thinly disguised as burgers.

Activision releases a yearly Call of Duty title.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fanghawk said:
I could say Ghosts is about Captain Price's battle against time-traveling ghost Nazis, and my speculation would remain precisely that.
But totally freaking AWESOME.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
I have to chuckle whenever anyone calls the information that a new Call of Duty will be released in November a 'leak'.
I don't think that's the part that's considered the 'leak,' though.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Maybe the cover art is gonna start a new trend of having a soldier look away from the camera this time.
Activision strictly limits the number of new ideas introduced in the COD series, so as not to scare the customers, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Activision strictly limits the number of new ideas introduced in the COD series, so as not to scare the customers, so I wouldn't doubt it.
That's true.

Too much change might frighten them. I mean, look what happened when COD took place during the Cold War, people were confused because there was so much change!

Gotta ease them in I suppose.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Or maybe, just maybe, they actually decided to give stealth a try.
After all that stuff about no more good sniping areas in multiplayer...
It's not like they have much competition for the stealth area and all now with the one of the big two turning into a hack and slash while the other is wanting to be a run and gun James Bond thing.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's true.

Too much change might frighten them. I mean, look what happened when COD took place during the Cold War, people were confused because there was so much change!

Yeah, that's why it got a sequel alternating between cold war and future tenses introducing story choices and future tech.
Oh wait.
[sub][sub]Don't even like CoD that much, just sayin'[/sub][/sub]

OT: "Accidentally"
Hate to be that guy but I don't see a situation where Activision gets a bunch of free advertising and hype an "accident" for them.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Huh, should be a reasonably fun romp anyway.

I now await the Battlefield cover art doing the same thing now only with that stupid orange stripe as well

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
hazabaza1 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's true.

Yeah, that's why it got a sequel alternating between cold war and future tenses introducing story choices and future tech.
Oh wait.

Hate to be that guy but I don't see a situation where Activision gets a bunch of free advertising and hype an "accident" for them.
Why do you have to kill my joke?

That's so mean, what did it ever do to you? D:

[sub][sub]I don't like COD either, but I did buy and enjoy that one.[/sub][/sub]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's true.

Oh wait.

Why do you have to kill my joke?

That's so mean, what did it ever do to you? D:

[sub][sub]I don't like COD either, but I did buy and enjoy that one.[/sub][/sub]
To be fair I did kill Zachary's joke too, but that's just what I do. Now... AWAY

CAPTAIN BUZZKILL TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
A distinct lack of the 'Modern Warfare' subtitle makes me suspicious. Are Activision trying something *gasps* different?! It just doesn't compute unless this is DLC with DLC and microtransactions in it that you have to pay for a season pass AND an online pass to get on top of a subscription. If not then I just don't know what to think any more.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I guess they noticed the modern warfare story is so firmly screwed over by the weight of the plot holes they keep adding they have been forced to make a prequel.