Rockstar Teases New Grand Theft Auto V Trailers

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rockstar Teases New Grand Theft Auto V Trailers

Apparently we're less than a week away from a new look at Grand Theft Auto V. At least, that's how it seems.

Early this morning the Rockstar Games Twitter account posted a very brief message along with a mysterious image. That image can be found embedded at right, and the message reads "MICHAEL. FRANKLIN. TREVOR. #GTAV Trailers Coming April 30," alongside a link to the official Grand Theft Auto V website.

Interesting? Not terribly. News worthy? Based on the frankly massive sales of every Grand Theft Auto entry since GTAIII, absolutely. So, what can we glean from this tiny scrap of information?

At the minimum, it appears that there will be a new trailer for Grand Theft Auto V appearing on April 30. That would be next Tuesday for those of you lacking a handy calendar. The mysterious part lies in those names. They appear to be the monikers assigned to the three protagonists of Rockstar's upcoming open-world crime sandbox, but then there's the plurality of "trailers" that makes us wonder if Rockstar plans to drop a single vignette or multiple clips. Going by sheer numbers and even more sheer speculation, we'd hazard to guess that each protagonist will receive his own trailer, demonstrating what exactly he's up to in the world of Grand Theft Auto V.

The easily offended (read: those who routinely point to Rockstar's franchise as the postergame for the corruption of modern youth) will be quick to state that we already know what each of these men will be doing: Gunning down cops, carjacking civilians and beating prostitutes to death with whichever blunt implement is closest at hand. However, Rockstar is nothing if not canny, and it wouldn't be entirely shocking if, come April 30, we find three trailers comprised entirely of Michael, Franklin and Trevor going about the relatively peaceful aspects of their lives. Not that we suspect that Grand Theft Auto V will skimp on the wanton brutality, but Rockstar knows what the media expects from it, and has never shied away from controversy.

And at this point, what could be more controversial than a massively-anticipated Grand Theft Auto sequel seemingly focused on delivering ice cream to school children or guiding tourists on donkey rides through the game's Grand Canyon analogue?

Ah, but we're just throwing darts against the wall. We won't know anything until April 30, but look at all this space I have to fill! Anyway, now it's your turn. Comments below. Speculate wildly. You know the drill.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/327403650462916608]

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Wait a minute, did a trailer, which advertises a product, just get advertised?

What happened to just releasing trailers, or actual meaningful information about the game, this just comes off to me as a self wank essentially. An attention grabber from several people working on it that can't stand waiting for the trailer to release to hear about of awesome the are.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I came here expecting a short trailer and received the teasing of a short trailer in a week. This was unsatisfying.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Is it weird that the simple speculation about a possible trailer fills me with gallons of glee? My love for GTA is unmatched by any other game series, and even THIS makes me dance around my room while singing a little song..

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
A news article about a trailer being released in 5 days? When was the last news article about a game being released in 5 days? Strange priorities.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe this isn't an announcement at all, but the developers want their friends Michael, Franklin and Trevor to know they have trailers (the hitch-to-you-car kind) for sale for only 4.30? Or maybe that they want to have a cheeky snog behind the trailers at 4:30? Or that three developers, codenamed as above were supposed to be making trailers for the game and this is their final deadline or they are fired.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Maybe this isn't an announcement at all, but the developers want their friends Michael, Franklin and Trevor to know they have trailers (the hitch-to-you-car kind) for sale for only 4.30? Or maybe that they want to have a cheeky snog behind the trailers at 4:30? Or that three developers, codenamed as above were supposed to be making trailers for the game and this is their final deadline or they are fired.
I desperately hope it's this. I will break that news SO FAST.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty certain there's no other game that leaks information so sparsely and yet gets so much media coverage. Honestly, an announcement about an upcoming trailer? Would a spontaneous trailer release induce major heart failure if it isn't released with a weeks warning?

I doubt even Half Life 2: Episode 3 would get as much attention as Grand Theft Auto these days.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Oh look! Another taxi simulator from rockstar! I can't wait to drive another fat cousin around for 20+ hours

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
Oh look! Another taxi simulator from rockstar! I can't wait to drive another fat cousin around for 20+ hours
This joke has reached arrow to the knee levels of video game meme murder, give Rockstar a break! The two DLC they released for GTA IV immediately stripped down the annoying friend mechanic, so they caught on to that problem very quickly.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
They're really pumping up the hype machine this time around. Getting people hyped for the tiniest look at the the game. Smart marketing if you ask me.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
sethisjimmy said:
They're really pumping up the hype machine this time around. Getting people hyped for the tiniest look at the the game. Smart marketing if you ask me.
GTA IV had that too, there werent any videos around of actual gameplay before the game released. Red Dead Redemption, LA Noir and Max Payne 3 all had those trailers with the narrator explaining gameplay mechanics and stuff where it actually showed gameplay from the player perspective. Now if GTA V will choose to do that or keep it a mistery like IV I dont know

The

Jan 24, 2012
These trailers will chronicle the life of the dog. The dog in game.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
In Search of Username said:
Hawkeye21 said:
You are the worst kind of gamer.
Why? Because I don't like GTA4 for being fun-hating shit-stained gritty taxi simulator? I've been a gamer for 20 years, and I will call it as I see it. If GTA5 is an improvement I will pick it up. But only if.

Feb 22, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Why? Because I don't like GTA4 for being fun-hating shit-stained gritty taxi simulator? I've been a gamer for 20 years, and I will call it as I see it. If GTA5 is an improvement I will pick it up. But only if.
Let's see...

Because everything you said completely misrepresented the game. GTA4 has plenty of action if you play past the opening twenty minutes, all the friend activities are completely optional, it's not 'fun-hating', it's funnier than any other game in the series, it just has serious stuff in addition to that. Plus there's the fact you're just spouting the same crap everyone says about this game without actually thinking about it, you're just repeating someone else's opinion essentially. And of course there's the fact that the kind of shit you're talking is what gives gamers the immature image they currently have. A game comes along that expects you to care about the characters, cope five seconds without an explosion occasionally, and perhaps sometimes deal with humour above the level of a dick joke, and yes, maybe three or four times in the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, drive a taxi, and you call it a 'fun-hating shit-stained gritty taxi simulator'. You have the mentality of a six-year-old.

That'd be why.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Let's see...

Because everything you said completely misrepresented the game. GTA4 has plenty of action if you play past the opening twenty minutes, all the friend activities are completely optional, it's not 'fun-hating', it's funnier than any other game in the series, it just has serious stuff in addition to that. Plus there's the fact you're just spouting the same crap everyone says about this game without actually thinking about it, you're just repeating someone else's opinion essentially. And of course there's the fact that the kind of shit you're talking is what gives gamers the immature image they currently have. A game comes along that expects you to care about the characters, cope five seconds without an explosion occasionally, and perhaps sometimes deal with humour above the level of a dick joke, and yes, maybe three or four times in the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, drive a taxi, and you call it a 'fun-hating shit-stained gritty taxi simulator'. You have the mentality of a six-year-old.

That'd be why.

If I could transmit audio through my text you would hear a slow clap starting right about now

Aw man, can't wait for GTA5, cant believe its been 5 years sine IV came out. The competitors have been fun (Saints Row Im looking at you), but its time to return to the true king of Crime Sandbox. Just on that note I do find it funny that in the time it took between GTA4 and 5, three Saints Row games have been released.

Also I don't mean to come off sounding super critical of Saints Row, I actually really like that series (1 and 2 anyway, havent tried 3 yet), its just GTA is one of the games that really sold me on the concept of gaming, so I've got a big spot for it in my heart.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Still waiting for the PC announcement to be released at the same time as PS3/X360 Rockstar, still waiting.

Also, OT: I don't really care much for trailers that just raises the hype, it's a waste of money on this marketing. People have been waiting for a new GTA title since they finished GTA 4 which was quite a while ago.

This game will sell like hotcakes, there is no need for extra marketing and shit tones of trailers.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
"-Mommy! Mommy! Somebody on the internets doesnt liek the same stuff I like!!!"
"-HOW DARE THEY?! NOBODY TREATS MY SON THAT WAY!"

Because everything you said completely misrepresented the game. GTA4 has plenty of action if you play past the opening twenty minutes, all the friend activities are completely optional, it's not 'fun-hating', it's funnier than any other game in the series, it just has serious stuff in addition to that.
I played it all the way through, thank you very much. It's fat cousins, all the way down.

Plus there's the fact you're just spouting the same crap everyone says about this game without actually thinking about it, you're just repeating someone else's opinion essentially.
Even if that was the case, it does not invalidate a single word I said. It's some kind of hipster defense.

And of course there's the fact that the kind of shit you're talking is what gives gamers the immature image they currently have.
Your flamboyant fanboism toward the game that isn't even released is what gives immature image to gamers. And ad hominen isn't an argument, boy

A game comes along that expects you to care about the characters, cope five seconds without an explosion occasionally, and perhaps sometimes deal with humour above the level of a dick joke, and yes, maybe three or four times in the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, drive a taxi, and you call it a 'fun-hating shit-stained gritty taxi simulator'. You have the mentality of a six-year-old.
Characters are at least THERE, and they have actual characters, I'll give you that, but still I didn't give a single fuck about any of them. Perhaps rather than EXPECTING me to care about characters, it should have given me a REASON to care about characters. And I am actually from Eastern Europe, teh irony
50% (if not 75%) of missions boil down to drive from point A to point B, while your car handles like a giant ass with buldozer in tow. It gets really old, really fast.
Graphics have a distinct brown color filter, hence shit-stained. And its just NOT FUN, and very rarely entertaining.
It's trying to be VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS, like a Godfather movie and fails miserably (see characters), hence "gritty".

So, basicly, what your rant boils down to is that you don't know why you like this game, while I know precisly why I hate it. And you are somehow offended that I hate it. That doesn't strike me as very adult attitude, boy