Sony Claims PS4 Launch Line-Up Strongest in PlayStation History

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Claims PS4 Launch Line-Up Strongest in PlayStation History

Hardware architect Mark Cerny says the PS4's developer friendly design will help it launch with a slew of great games.

The launch of the PlayStation 3 wasn't exactly what one might call smooth. Some dedicated gamers lined up for days, small library of games. Eventually, PS3 sales, driven by <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79005-PS3-Sales-Boosted-by-Price-Cut-Wii-Scarcity>price drops and a gradual expansion of its software line-up, would pick up. Having fought hard to level the playing field however, Sony is now intent on making sure the launch of the PlayStation 4 goes better. According to Sony, a big part of its plan will be giving consumers a pile of great games to play right out of the gate.

"The launch lineup for PlayStation 4 -- though I unfortunately can't give the title count -- is going to be stronger than any prior PlayStation hardware," said Mark Cerny, lead architect of the PlayStation 4. Central to this strong launch has been correcting one of the primary complaints developers had for the PS3: it was difficult to make games for. "There was huge performance there, but in order to unlock that performance, you really needed to study it and learn unique ways of using the hardware," said Cerny. "The hope with PlayStation 4 was to have a powerful architecture, but also an architecture that would be a very familiar architecture in many ways. We want to make sure that the hardware is easy to use."

Hopefully, Cerny isn't embellishing and the PS4's launch line-up winds up being the thing that gaming legends are made of. If not, Sony could arguably find itself in more of a bind than it did with the launch of the PS3. The original PS3 was expensive but also boasted one of the <a href=http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9667998-1.html>cheapest Blu-ray players of its time, as well as backwards compatible with PS2 games. The PS4 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10215-Why-the-PS4-Doesnt-Do-PS3-Games>won't have backwards compatibility and Blu-ray players are, by and large, now a lot cheaper to buy solo than they were in 2006. While Sony devotees will likely buy the PS4 the same way they did the PS3, the console really needs a good line-up from the word go. Otherwise it could fall prey to consumers not willing to wait and more than happy to take their gaming elsewhere.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php>Gamasutra

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So, yeah. Sony, when are we going to talk about how much the PS4 going to cost?...How much are the games going to cost?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Looks like they really are learning from what happened last time, that's assuming that what they say about the titles is true.

I'm assuming that FF Verses XIII will be a launch title since they said something about it being announced soon, but I'm just guessing here. They really need those must have games that are exclusive to their newest console for anyone to get the bad taste of the PS3 launch out of their mouth.

Time will tell at E3.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong~ ....Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong~.

OT: Time will tell, indeed. I really can't believe that though.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Killzone so far is really the only one that I have heard of that I am actively looking forward to, and that is only because of the aeshetic design of the game that we have seen so far. (What can I say? I like bright blues and greens and clean lines).
I think you mean teal and orange [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrangeBlueContrast].

I'll believe it when I see it Sony, it'll take a spectacular fail from Microsoft to tempt me to the dark side...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
My question is: How many of these are going to be multi-platform released with the older consoles? For some reason I can see them counting the new Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty in the "launch Line-up".

Hopefully I am wrong and there will be some damn worthwhile single-party games coming out. Killzone so far is really the only one that I have heard of that I am actively looking forward to, and that is only because of the astetic design of the game that we have seen so far. (What can I say? I like bright blues and greens and clean lines).
Honestly, I would say that, as long as it has enough exclusives to weigh out the ports, it should be good. Although if it follows the Wii U route where the majority of the launch games are mutliplatform, then Sony is going to have a problem.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Having just one good game in a lineup may be the best in Sony history, but I don't think it will help their sales if the cost of the games/Ps4 is too high.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
mad825 said:
So, yeah. Sony, when are we going to talk about how much the PS4 going to cost?...How much are the games going to cost?
You mean you don't know?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Korten12 said:
My question is: How many of these are going to be multi-platform released with the older consoles? For some reason I can see them counting the new Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty in the "launch Line-up".

Hopefully I am wrong and there will be some damn worthwhile single-party games coming out. Killzone so far is really the only one that I have heard of that I am actively looking forward to, and that is only because of the astetic design of the game that we have seen so far. (What can I say? I like bright blues and greens and clean lines).
Honestly, I would say that, as long as it has enough exclusives to weigh out the ports, it should be good. Although if it follows the Wii U route where the majority of the launch games are mutliplatform, then Sony is going to have a problem.
The Problem with the WiiU wasn't the fact that it had multiplatform games, it was releasing multiplatofrm games, from a year to 2 years ago. Games that everyone already had and beaten long before the Wii U even had a name. At least with the PS4/ Xbox whatever, their competition will be among themselves, if their games are 8th generation exclusive and not going to be found on the 360/PS3. Otherwise it'll be a debate if people want to buy the current generation of say, Assassin's Creed 4, or have it on the next Gen.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Ya, you would not believe how many ports of ps3 games they have just waiting for the ps4. It'll be great. -_-

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Every time I see talk about the PS4 using x86 I just smile. This is the best part about the new console. PC ports with crap performance on mid-range PCs will be a thing of the past.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Who wants to bet that GTA V will also be on next-gen? That or they will finally reveal more about Agent. And it will be on PS4, not on PS3.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
mad825 said:
http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-games-will-range-from-0-99-up-to-60-246386.phtml

So basically the same, or most likely a wider range of prices for games. Possibly more cheaper $40 games. But who knows.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I really hope that they've learnt from the PS3 launch. I'll admit that as kid that grew up playing PS1 and PS2 games, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Playstation, I'd like to see it do well.

So yeah, hopefully he's not spouting fountains of bollocks and it will be sensibly priced too.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The ONE thing sony shouldn't take personally. All consoles have a dull launch lineup.
Hopefully the easy to use hardware will ensure there wont be a parade of worthless ports, but I'm not going to just take their word for it. If it's been out for a few years and it has good support (in terms of good games that work and firmware from sony that expands the features) then I might actually get one, but that doesn't seem likely.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So we can expect Call of Duty, Battlefield, Another Call of Duty, Another Battlefield, Yet Another Call of Duty, Yet Another Battlefield, More Call of Duty, and More Battlefield.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Like the Wii U?

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Looks like they really are learning from what happened last time, that's assuming that what they say about the titles is true.
Of course, assuming that Sony's telling the truth requires ignoring their past pension for hyperbole and dishonesty.

Being more developer-friendly is nice, but so far what we've seen is that devs aren't giving up on the PS3 and 360 yet. Probably because they're not willing to bet against the established base. I'm curious as to whether even Sony is willing to do that.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Korten12 said:
mad825 said:
http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-games-will-range-from-0-99-up-to-60-246386.phtml
So basically the same, or most likely a wider range of prices for games. Possibly more cheaper $40 games. But who knows.
The prices better fluctuate in my opinion. There's no reason all games need to be sold at $60. I'm also hoping the rumors about the vita being "made for" the ps4 are true. It could mean more cross buy games so one price for 2 games

On topic, I definitely wouldn't have a problem with games launching on both the ps3 and the ps4. That would be a benefit