No Room For Multiplayer In Story-Driven Witcher 3

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
No Room For Multiplayer In Story-Driven Witcher 3

The folks at CD Projekt RED aren't fond of DRM or QTEs either.

"There's no place for multiplayer in so strongly a story-driven game as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122909-The-Witcher-3-Will-End-With-Three-Separate-Playable-Epilogues]," says CD Projekt RED's head of marketing, Michal Platkow-Gilewski. Instead, CD Projekt RED would prefer to concentrate on creating a perfect single-player experience, "delivering more than 100 hours of truly immersive gameplay," Platkow-Gilewski promises, in a world that's designed to be 36 times the size of that in The Witcher 2. After all, thinks CD Projekt RED, telling a story is an art form; it's hard enough to do without trying to keep multiple Geralts happy.

Nor are QTEs welcome at the CD Projekt party; they've been removed completely from The Witcher 3. CD Projekt came to the conclusion that QTEs usually frustrated players, and really only work in a specific set of circumstances. "There is a small number of games where it is fun," says project lead Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, "like, for example, in the Uncharted series, where you don't even realize that you've just finished a QTE sequence." But what works for Uncharted won't work for an RPG, hence why CD Projekt feels the immersion-killing QTE has no place in The Witcher 3.

CD Projekt hasn't changed its stance on DRM, you'll be pleased to hear. "DRM is the worst thing in the gaming industry," Tomaszkiewicz went on to say. "It's limiting our rights to play games owned by us." It's just punishing legal users, he says, and does nothing to deter piracy. Even The Witcher has its share of pirates, but Tomaszkiewicz takes comfort in the fact that Witcher fans actively persecute people who download Geralt's adventures via torrent. "Our fans out there really appreciate that we trust them," says Tomaszkiewicz, "and that we treat them with honesty and respect."

The Witcher 3 is due for simultaneous release on next-gen consoles and PC in 2014.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/04/24/talking-the-witcher-3-with-cd-projekt-red-single-player-only-drm-worst-thing-in-video-game-industry/]

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Ah, CDprojekt. the good guys of the game industry.

I actually thought that the little QTE fighting minigame was kinda fun in the Witcher 2. Most importantly, it fell within the constraints of the minigame and did not affect the story at all.
I'm not holding it against them if they want to get rid of QTEs altogether though.

Izzy1320

Mar 4, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
Ah, CDprojekt. the good guys of the game industry.
Amen to that. May the gods of gaming keep them strong... Cheesy? Perhaps, but necessary? I think so.

Izzy1320

Mar 4, 2010
Hmm... Maybe I'll go and play the first two Witcher games again... It couldn't hurt, right? ^-^

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Yet the Witcher 2 had DRM during launch and the first few weeks after launch. I wish they actually stood by the message they give at all times, rather than just when it's safe to do so.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Hopefully this means there won't be any multiplayer in Cyberpunk 2077 either.
Actually I'm hoping for a mulitplayer mode that is similar to the D&D modules of the old Neverwinter Nights for 2077.

Deathmatch and CTF tack-ons however can stay away from both games.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Hopefully this means there won't be any multiplayer in Cyberpunk 2077 either.
I don't see how you can categorically dismiss multiplayer from the outset. So little is known about the game. For all you know, they could come up with amazing multiplayer.

I'm not saying the above poster is doing just this, but I'm noticing a disturbing trend/meme on message boards nowadays akin to the blind CoD hate trend, where people just rag on multiplayer because it's what everyone else is doing and saying.

Blindly hating on something is just as dumb as blindly implementing a feature.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I personally didn't mind the QTE's in TW2. They were just a little distraction and as far as I know, almost completely avoidable.

But if they can replace QTE's with something a little meatier then I have no problem with that.

Totally gonna take some time off work when this game comes out.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Sushewakka said:
Yet the Witcher 2 had DRM during launch and the first few weeks after launch. I wish they actually stood by the message they give at all times, rather than just when it's safe to do so.
The version on GOG was DRM free from day one, the DRM was only of the retail disk copy, in other word was most likely imposed by the publisher of the retail version.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
I'm glad to see someone's brain still works in the industry, and realizes that slapping multiplayer on a single player focused game is a dumb idea, Bioware.

Omeene

Oct 14, 2009
Sushewakka said:
The retail version did have DRM, most likely enforced by the publisher OR a left-over from the pre-release reviews (Most likely the first one, but I have heard the latter theory thrown around). They also rather quickly removed it and apologized for it being on that version. Given that one version had no DRM, and that the first one didn't, it was most likely an enforced requirement or a left over that wasn't removed.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I really like these people. Their business plan is to make a really good product and sell it. That's kind of refreshing.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
**implements QTEs in TW2

implements option to suck less

It sucked badly

People rage

Removes QTEs from TW3 and denounces it.**

They have brains at the very least...

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
iniudan said:
Sushewakka said:
The version on GOG was DRM free from day one, the DRM was only of the retail disk copy, in other word was most likely imposed by the publisher of the retail version.
I bought the collectors edition and it didn't seem to have DRM (played just fine off-line and I didn't have to register it). Maybe it was only the vanilla edition, or it wasn't there at all and people are just making stuff up. Either way CD Projekt has become my favorite company.

Arkimedes

Nov 6, 2011
I like more sandbox type RPGs so I bought Witcher 2 more likely because their custommer satisfaction mindset.

BUT: I had to download it from torrent because physical DVD version included online activation
(they removed it later) which was not working for some reason, so I coudn't play it on the day of the release.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
A publisher that sticks to its ethics/has ethics in the first place

I'll be buying Witcher 3 on principle alone