Ominous Shin Megami Tensei IV Trailer Reveals Release Date

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ominous Shin Megami Tensei IV Trailer Reveals Release Date

Your choices are no longer your own in this Shin Megami Tensei IV teaser trailer.

After a decade away, the core Megami Tensei series is returning this summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123043-Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV-Coming-to-North-America-This-Summer] in the form of Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS. Atlus has released a brief trailer for the demonic third-person RPG, which gives a look at the game in action, as well as its North American release date: July 16, 2013.

SMT IV puts the player in the shoes of a rookie Samurai trying to protect the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado from, you guessed it, demons. The demonic threat is one of the things that ties all of the MegaTen games together; other similarities longtime fans will find in SMT IV are "expansive dungeons" and "game-altering decision making." It will also employ system-specific features like 3D visuals and StreetPass functionality.

This is the first game in the main MegaTen series to be released since Nocturne hit the PS2 ten years ago, though we've seen several spin-offs since then, including multiple versions of Persona 3 and 4. The teaser trailer conveys the franchise's quirky, creepy tone and combination of animated cutscenes and third-person RPG action; North American gamers will find out how successful Shin Megami Tensei's return to its roots is in less than three months.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is the only game coming out during the drought I want and I have to wait until July?! :(

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
There it is again - quirky in regards to MegaTen. It's technically true, but really not the best word to use. Creepy, yes. Distinctive, definitely. Quirky? That brings to mind more the recent Persona style, not Type II End Of The World scenario.

That being said, this is really looking interesting. The ball's in your court now, Atlus. Prove to the PAL region that it was someone else's fault your most recent addition to the mythos didn't take 9+ months to make it here. Show us as close to simultaneous release as you can get. C'mon - we can take it.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Ackpith... how will I have enough time to scrounge up enough money for a 3DS in that time?! D=

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Fappy said:
This is the only game coming out during the drought I want and I have to wait until July?! :(
In all honesty Fappy I'm just hoping that ATLUS graces Australia and Europe (And other places) with the same release date as the rest of the world.

I mean ... I'm still waiting for Persona 4: Arena (Out on the 2nd of next month) and I just bought Fire Emblem: Awakening (By Nintendo themselves, so it's a bit different) which was just released over here.
So yeah, a nice release time would be great ... then another one of my prayers would have been answered.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
StormShaun said:
Fappy said:
In all honesty Fappy I'm just hoping that ATLUS graces Australia and Europe (And other places) with the same release date as the rest of the world.

I mean ... I'm still waiting for Persona 4: Arena (Out on the 2nd of next month) and I just bought Fire Emblem: Awakening (By Nintendo themselves, so it's a bit different) which was just released over here.
So yeah, a nice release time would be great ... then another one of my prayers would have been answered.

Yeah... Atlus never really does you guys any favors, do they? >.>

Apr 28, 2008
OK FINE I'LL GET A 3DS. GOD!!

I guess it'll be good to use a Nintendo handheld for something other than Pokemon and Kirby. What? I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

Also, kind of funny how the only things that make me want this generation's handhelds (3DS, Vita) are Shin Megami Tensei games. Well Persona 4 Golden is a spin-off, but still.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Fappy said:
I'm pretty sure they don't care about our countries. T_T
Hell I looked forward to Persona 4: Golden until i found out it was on the PS Vita. (And I only have the 3DS, but thank God for the new Fire Emblem.)

The only thing I can hope for is that they treat our countries the same, and grants us a good release date. Though I should count the favor they did for us, which is that it is on the 3DS which is something I do actually have.

Now time to play the waiting game.
For a while.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Gads, another reason to buy a 3DS. Gawdammit Nintendo, stop eye-balling my damn wallet! It's empty I tell you!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
What a shame I won't be playing it... I like Atlus and Megaten, but I don't feel like shelling out for a system for one damn game, even an ultimately cool and shiny one as that. Sorry, guys.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Fappy said:
StormShaun said:
Fappy said:

Yeah... Atlus never really does you guys any favors, do they? >.>
Well considering that we don't even have (Good luck trying to play Devil Survivor unless you have a 3DS), it's fair to say that getting it soon would be pretty surprising.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Hopefully their next announcement is Persona 5.
Hopefully the next announcement is "Hey Europe and Australia, we've finally picked a permanent publisher/got a branch for PAL territories so no more ridiculous waiting times for you."

That'd make me more happy.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Handhelds are the future of the JRPG. Good thing I bought a 3DS a couple of months ago. I wonder just how brutally difficult this one will be.