Resident Evil: Revelations Console and PC Ports To Receive Demo

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Resident Evil: Revelations Console and PC Ports To Receive Demo

Capcom has prepared a demo for the new versions of Resident Evil: Revelations, but isn't sure when it will be available.

Resident Evil has been having a bit of a tough time lately. While the franchise still sells well, entries have been met by markedly mixed reviews. One of the few exceptions to this is Resident Evil: Revelations which, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5373-Resident-Evil-Revelations>despite some flaws, was considered by most to be a solid and entertaining addition to the franchise. Hoping to expand the game's reach beyond its original 3DS release, Capcom <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121641-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Grows-Up-Heads-to-Consoles-PC>announced in January that Revelations was being ported to consoles and PC. The new versions were slated for release on May 21st in North America and May 24th in Europe. With those dates now on the horizon, Capcom has announced that a demo will soon be available to give fans a taste of the game before it lands in stores.

"Today we're happy to announce there will be a playable demo coming to Xbox Live, PSN, Nintendo eShop and Steam," said Capcom. "So for those who still haven't sampled the claustrophobic hallways of the Queen Zenobia, you'll soon have a chance to do so free of charge." Oddly enough, given the game's actual release is now less than a month away, Capcom offered no release date for the demo. "The exact date is still TBD, but given that the game's out on May 21 (24 EU), it can't be far off."

While Resident Evil is an established franchise with a fairly large fan base to help drive sales, it's nonetheless a smart move on the part of Capcom to release a demo. A point of dissatisfaction for many fans in recent years have been the series' attempts to <a href=<a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167135/Survival_horror_market_too_small_for_Resident_Evil_says_Capcom_producer.php>distance itself from its horror roots. While Revelations definitely had some action heavy sections, the chapters aboard the ocean liner Queen Zenobia were often eerie and, for some, a step back in the right direction. If the demo can help to convey that experience, it could do a lot to sell the game to more jaded fans.

Source: <a href=http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/04/25/re-revelations-playable-demo-coming-soon>Capcom Unity

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I must be drunk. Or dreaming.
Did they say there will be a demo? Cool. Then I at least can give it a try before buying as currently, I consider it when really cheap - like 10?, if at all. If the demo is good, I add it onto my list of game I gonna buy one day (not a day-one-purchase or pre-order. Got no money even 40? for a pre-order (with a potential addition of Lost Planet and the Season Pass - hooray for Steam!) isn't too much and until May 24th, I got some time to get some cash.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
I miss the days when Demos were the standard and not a tacked on treat.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I already own the 3DS version, but I'll almost certainly buy this on PC. It just seems better suited to the PC than a handheld. The sections on the boat are the creepiest in the franchise, I think. And they make up the majority of the game!

Glad to hear there's a demo, too. Now I'll know how badly I can run it :']

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Considering this is probably the best RE game in a while Capcom should be riding this as hard as they can to make it happen as soon as possible.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Pinch me I must be dreaming. Capcom, you have surprised me and have my curiosity now.

I have checked Revelations footage from the 3DS and the fact that many that have played it are comparing it with Resident Evil 4 is nothing but great news.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Bindal said:
Did they say there will be a demo? Cool. Then I at least can give it a try before buying as currently, I consider it when really cheap - like 10?, if at all. If the demo is good, I add it onto my list of game I gonna buy one day (not a day-one-purchase or pre-order. Got no money even 40? for a pre-order (with a potential addition of Lost Planet and the Season Pass - hooray for Steam!) isn't too much and until May 24th, I got some time to get some cash.
It's likely to be identical to the 3DS demo, which is somewhat misleading because in the actual game they pull the bait and switch and put the partner NPC in that room, and they put you in a DIFFERENT room that looks identical, which you would expect to do the same thing, but then shit happens. They think they're so clever doing that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
weirdguy said:
Bindal said:
It's likely to be identical to the 3DS demo, which is somewhat misleading because in the actual game they pull the bait and switch and put the partner NPC in that room, and they put you in a DIFFERENT room that looks identical, which you would expect to do the same thing, but then shit happens. They think they're so clever doing that.
So, because they don't want to spoil the actual games story, they slightly modify it for the demo (which, I might add, requires addional work), which
a) shows the player more from the game
b) allows people, that played the demo to be still surprised by the actual game

So, even if it is the same demo, who cares? They did actually the right thing by giving a slight difference to the base game.
XCOM did something similar with its demo by giving you all classes on a higher rank and then put you against enemies in the 2nd mission you don't encounter until the 3rd or 5th... (in this case, Floater and Thin Men)

Other, pretty old example, was the game "Desperado", which had a demo with a level exclusive for it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
note that i am being silly

also, that the demo actually took less work than the game, because the demo's sequence isn't as involved as the game's actual sequence

which is to say don't let your guard down in an empty room