Metro: Last Light Comes With Russian 2033 Novel

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Metro: Last Light Comes With Russian 2033 Novel

Activating your PC copy of Metro: Last Light will reward you with an ebook version of the franchise-inspiring story.

Everybody likes extras with their game purchases, but in many cases that includes odds and ends you wouldn't have purchased separately anyway. It's always great to find something substantial you can sink your teeth into, and on that score, Metro: Last Light is on the right track. Gamers who activate Light Light's PC version on Steam will instantly unlock the full ebook of Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, the novel that inspired its post-apocalyptic universe.

Glukhovsky's original Metro 2033 was a huge hit, finding two million readers online and selling half a million physical copies in Russia alone. The story inspired other writers <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_of_Metro_2033>to create an entire extended universe around the concept, and Glukhovsky eventually published an official sequel in 2009. While the prose and videogame sequels aren't related, Glukhovsky still enjoyed the FPS version enough to help craft Last Light's story.

I wasn't even aware that Metro 2033 started out as a book, but now that I am, I'd love to see how the two versions compare. I also like the idea that anyone starting the series with Last Light has the original story on hand to help them catch up immediately. It may take a little longer than a Wiki plot synopsis, but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10258-Metro-Last-Light-Preview-Going-Underground>given how patient and supportive series fans have been, I'm guessing nobody will mind much.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4271244/metro-last-light-steam-metro-2033-novel-digital-copy>Polygon

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
An E-book? Too bad. I would've loved a paper version. Maybe in a special edition there could be a tattered, worn copy of the book, with dried blood, ink blots, partially ripped pages and little scribbles in Russian about the metro, maybe tips or something. That's something I'd totally buy.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Why don't I just poke my eyes out with plutonium rods.

Great marketing guys, who is this aimed at? I highly doubt that many would read this while on a desktop and I am not sure as hell not assuming many of us have got Ebooks readers. If this was a physical copy might be less sceptical about this, why can't we go for the usual OST?

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
mad825 said:

Great marketing guys, who is this aimed at? I highly doubt that many would read this while on a desktop and I am not sure as hell not assuming many of us have got Ebooks readers. If this was a physical copy might be less sceptical about this, why can't we go for the usual OST?
Since millions and millions of people have smart phones, I don't see how your argument floats. Just download any of a bunch of good ebook readers (Kindle, FBreader, etc) on your phone and you're set. You don't have to sit in front of your computer in order to read it.

The original book is very good and one of the better thrillers I've read in recent years. I played the original game and then came across the book one day, bought it and found that it was a page-turner. The book kicks the game's ass in so many ways that it's not even funny. Best part? You don't have to be annoyed by the piss poor AI.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
I have to say, the book was much better than the game. The writing isn't perfect, since it didn't get the best translation. But, the story is much more fleshed out and entertaining.

That being said, the book is WAY more depressing than the game. Seriously, some of the shit that happens is far more shocking than anything that happens in the game. And that ending... Oh man that ending. You don't appreciate how depressing the bad ending in the game is until you read the book.

Still, I highly recommend it. It was a great read.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
dakkster said:
mad825 said:

Since millions and millions of people have smart phones, I don't see how your argument floats. Just download any of a bunch of good ebook readers (Kindle, FBreader, etc) on your phone and you're set. You don't have to sit in front of your computer in order to read it.
I'll say it again, Why don't I just poke my eyes out with plutonium rods.

A mobile phone? Are you kidding me? Have no Ebook reader so you've got two choices; either burn out your retinas or give yourself eye strain. Seeing as the average battery life in todays "smart phones" is less than a day, burning battery for reading isn't a priority. Most people would rather listen to music.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Its nice to see more lil extras in games from developers. I'd complain about reading stuff on the computer, but really, I spend so much time reading stuff on the computer anyways.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
mad825 said:

Too bad there is no way to get those words onto paper... with a device that uses paper and some form of ink...
Or alternatively, (as it is most likely in a very common format any computer should be able to open and display), just upload it onto your smartphone, iPad or whatever and read it there.

Zigot66

Aug 21, 2009
mad825 said:
dakkster said:
mad825 said:

A mobile phone? Are you kidding me? Have no Ebook reader so you've got two choices; either burn out your retinas or give yourself eye strain. Seeing as the average battery life in todays "smart phones" is less than a day, burning battery for reading isn't a priority. Most people would rather listen to music.
You're making a lot of assumptions here, and I don't think they really hold up. I know tons of people with e-readers and people who routinely read off of their smartphones and tablets (just cut the brightness, it makes it easier to read and saves battery life) There will be people who don't care about this, true, but it's a free extra. I'd also be interested to hear your idea of what to do instead, give them physical copies with a digital download?

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
mad825 said:
dakkster said:
mad825 said:

Since you are obviously making an effort to come off as completely ignorant about this, here's what I suggest you do:

Install an ebook app and look at the options. You don't have to have a screamingly bright white background. I usually go black background with a light greyish font to save battery AND stop my eyes from straining. You would know that if you weren't trying to be such a dick about this.

I do about an hour of ereading a day on my HTC One X, along with other normal usage and I still get more than 24 hours of usage with a full charge. Since you are quite obviously ignorant about this as well, here's another tip: You don't have to use 100% full brightness on your phone. That kinda sorta eats battery.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
For a copy of Metro 2034 in English, I'd go buy it right now. Already have a physical copy of Metro 2033 from before that game was even out. The book was WAY better than the game was, and sorta ruined the game for me in a way.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I already have an eBook version of the book, but it's still a great extra. The book is fantastic. It's a lot better than the game, in my opinion, and I love the game.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
So basically a .pdf that I can read here on my desktop since I lack a smartphone or e-reader. Sounds alright though I'd prefer a hardcopy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Here's the real question, though... can the book be in actual Russian?

I'm trying to learn Russian and Cyrillic, and reading an entire book in Russian would be invaluable.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Here's the real question, though... can the book be in actual Russian?

I'm trying to learn Russian and Cyrillic, and reading an entire book in Russian would be invaluable.
I assume it is possible that the book will be in the language you play the game in, if available and only be in english if you play in a language the book isn't translated into.
Either that or it is always in english.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
snagli said:
An E-book? Too bad. I would've loved a paper version. Maybe in a special edition there could be a tattered, worn copy of the book, with dried blood, ink blots, partially ripped pages and little scribbles in Russian about the metro, maybe tips or something. That's something I'd totally buy.
So go buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-English-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/dp/1481845705/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367140134&sr=8-1&keywords=metro+2033

$13.40 if you're American. Cost me $20 local as an Aussie.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
rapidoud said:
snagli said:
So go buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-English-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/dp/1481845705/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367140134&sr=8-1&keywords=metro+2033

I already have the book, I just want a special edition of Metro Last Light where you get the book as a bonus, only a ripped and worn version, as if it actually came from the Metro. Like I said, I'd love a special edition where you could get that, not some damn E-book.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
rapidoud said:
So go buy it.

Should have shopped around.Would have only cost you $10 from this website

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Metro-2033-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/9780575086258

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
mad825 said:

So far it seems the only person they've lost is you...so yeah, this is actually good marketing seeing as how most people on this thread seem genuinely excited and happy about the news. I personally would love to read the book, and seeing as how I want to play the next game it seems like a 2 for one transaction that works out in my favour. Pity it doesn't work out for you, but entertainment products never really do suit everyone.