Ron Perlman Says Hellboy III Must Happen

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Ron Perlman Says Hellboy III Must Happen

According to the Hellboy actor, director Guillermo del Toro owes the world a full trilogy.

All things considered, Hellboy and its sequel were a fine pair of films. They successfully adapted the horror and pulp tone of the original comics, and introduced the ass-kicking half-demon to a broad cinematic audience. Hellboy II's conclusion was open-ended enough for additional sequels, but director Guillermo del Toro and actor Ron Perlman felt they'd done enough, so they moved on to other projects. That was five years ago however, and in the time since, Perlman has decided that Hellboy needs to return in a big away.

"I've been giving Guillermo body shots for two years," Perlman said during a C2E2 convention interview. "We both walked away from Hellboy II agreeing that there would never be another one. But, with the passage of time, it became clear to me that he really always designed it as a trilogy. He has a very well-articulated idea of what the resolve would look like and it's amazingly theatrical and is epic in scope and would make for amazing cinema, with or without the first two movies.

"There are so many questions posed in the first two films that absolutely need to be answered," Perlman continued. "'You owe it to the world to finish this trilogy.' I've been giving him Jewish guilt."

Perlman's argument for a Hellboy trilogy is sound, but actually making Hellboy III isn't so simple. The required budget for a third movie would be far higher than the originals, needing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121448-Del-Toro-Hellboy-3-Would-Take-The-Mother-Of-All-Kickstarters>a minimum of $140 million to complete. That means a box office smash is mandatory to make a reasonable profit, and few producers are willing to take the risk for another Hellboy sequel.

Despite the financial risks, I'd love to see a third film bringing the stories of Hellboy, Liz Sherman, and the B.P.R.D. to a close. Unfortunately, if Perlman is going to fill that role, del Toro needs to get started right away. "I'm pushing seventy," Perlman said, "so he better fucking do this soon."

Source: <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/28/c2e2-hellboy-3-must-happen-says-perlman?abthid=517c88ad025a78b705000019>IGN

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Great, now you've reminded me that Ron Perlman might die soon and now I'm sad...

That being said, another Hellboy would be awesome. I hope Ron can pile on enough Jewish Guilt to get it done.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Cost $140M? Why so much? Especially since the last two weren't that expensive.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
If Ron motherfucking Pearlman says we need another Hellboy then by God, we need one!The first Hellboy is one of my favorite movies. Also, if you didn't read those quotes in Pearlman's voice then there is something wrong with you

thaluikhain said:

Possibly because Guillermo del Toro prefers using props instead of CGI which is more expensive

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait...Ron Perlman, is 70 YEARS OLD?!!??!

Wow...just...wow.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Please, we must have the movie before anyone passes on! I loved the first two movies and we are owed a third! Just to round off the series! Ron is such an awesome guy, even dressing up as Hellboy for a kid for make a wish.http://collider.com/ron-perlman-hellboy-make-a-wish/

Please Del Toro, finish off the series before Ron get's too old.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This'd be really cool, as I like the first movie very much. The second one I like less since it feels at times a bit stupid and the main villain is lame, but at least there's the spectacular visuals to gorp at. Though I wonder what direction they would be taking the film.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'll take as many Hellboy movies as they can make if they're anywhere near as good as the first two. Make a third, a fourth, a fifth....

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
"I've been giving him Jewish guilt."
Jeez, that's pulling out the big guns. (no joke)

The first two Hellboys were strange but at least intriguing adaptations of the comic. So I'd welcome another one, also Ron Pearlman is just great all around.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
thaluikhain said:
Rising costs in production, which in many cases means that the people involved in the film crews are asking for bigger and bigger paydays, whether that is FX work, Cameras, or simple Grip work (ie moving stuff around). Not to mention of course what the actors themselves are demanding. Case in point, Ron Perlman is pushing 70, but I doubt he wants to do this movie for free, and despite cutting his teeth in making B movies palatable, he's kind of managed to become an "A lister" of a sort due to his work on things like "Sons Of Anarchy", what he can demand for a cinematic payday nowadays is probably pretty substantial. From the sounds of things it doesn't seem to be a case where he's willing to sign on as a producer and actually front part of the costs in exchange for a share of any profits.

Likewise, I believe Hellboy was a movie that used a lot of "Green Screen" for a lot of it's backrounds and enviroments (I could be wrong about this). The idea of the "Green Screen" was originally to help cut costs for movies and TV shows by allowing the creation of impressive backdrops and FX without having to build entire stages and sets. Some TV shows like "Sanctuary" made a big deal about using this technology, and it's cost effectiveness being one of the reasons they were able to do it. As time has gone on however "Green Screen" has pretty much skyrocketed in the cost department as the people doing it demand as much, or more, for their FX knowlege, than renting sound stages and builting sets would cost. All those "digital FX" that were going to save Hollywood have actually cursed it, it's just now it's a bunch of computer techs demanding top dollar, instead of the ones who actually built stuff. In an FX heavy movie like this, I can easily see the price having doubled or tripled, since the studios doing the FX probably now demand that much more for their services and can argue that if this production won't pay, they can find someone else who will.

Ironically, I've also been reading some stuff about how the greed of the Hollywood tech-elite has been prompting the return of old school FX which had been driven to semi-extinction because it became cheaper to do nearly everything with computers and Mocap for a while. This is in part why you see all these schools for makeup and FX hiring and TV shows on things like Syfy focusing on them, the idea being to fuel interest and bring about a new generation of FX meisters to replace the ones the computer nerds were forcing out of business.

Now don't get me wrong, I could very well be wrong about a lot of this, I'm just saying that it doesn't surprise me that it would be very expensive to do another "Hellboy".

Ideally a third movie would be nice, but I can see why they decided to drop it with two. The plot holes they left open are ones that are nearly impossible to resolve in a way that is going to satisfy everyone, especially given the whole apocolyptic vision of the future and how things are supposed to turn out (at least for a time), and the sources which seem unlikely to be wrong within the constraints of the mythos. It would be great for them to wrap everything up, but the ends of trilogies are always hard to do, especially when they intended to leave things open ended, probably to inspire other media.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Therumancer said:
and despite cutting his teeth in making B movies palatable, he's kind of managed to become an "A lister" of a sort due to his work on things like "Sons Of Anarchy",
*cough* the city of the lost children *cough* the name of the rose *cough*

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Therumancer said:
thaluikhain said:
Rising costs in production, which in many cases means that the people involved in the film crews are asking for bigger and bigger paydays, whether that is FX work, Cameras, or simple Grip work (ie moving stuff around). Not to mention of course what the actors themselves are demanding. Case in point, Ron Perlman is pushing 70, but I doubt he wants to do this movie for free, and despite cutting his teeth in making B movies palatable, he's kind of managed to become an "A lister" of a sort due to his work on things like "Sons Of Anarchy", what he can demand for a cinematic payday nowadays is probably pretty substantial. From the sounds of things it doesn't seem to be a case where he's willing to sign on as a producer and actually front part of the costs in exchange for a share of any profits.

Likewise, I believe Hellboy was a movie that used a lot of "Green Screen" for a lot of it's backrounds and enviroments (I could be wrong about this). The idea of the "Green Screen" was originally to help cut costs for movies and TV shows by allowing the creation of impressive backdrops and FX without having to build entire stages and sets. Some TV shows like "Sanctuary" made a big deal about using this technology, and it's cost effectiveness being one of the reasons they were able to do it. As time has gone on however "Green Screen" has pretty much skyrocketed in the cost department as the people doing it demand as much, or more, for their FX knowlege, than renting sound stages and builting sets would cost. All those "digital FX" that were going to save Hollywood have actually cursed it, it's just now it's a bunch of computer techs demanding top dollar, instead of the ones who actually built stuff. In an FX heavy movie like this, I can easily see the price having doubled or tripled, since the studios doing the FX probably now demand that much more for their services and can argue that if this production won't pay, they can find someone else who will.

Ironically, I've also been reading some stuff about how the greed of the Hollywood tech-elite has been prompting the return of old school FX which had been driven to semi-extinction because it became cheaper to do nearly everything with computers and Mocap for a while. This is in part why you see all these schools for makeup and FX hiring and TV shows on things like Syfy focusing on them, the idea being to fuel interest and bring about a new generation of FX meisters to replace the ones the computer nerds were forcing out of business.

Now don't get me wrong, I could very well be wrong about a lot of this, I'm just saying that it doesn't surprise me that it would be very expensive to do another "Hellboy".

Ideally a third movie would be nice, but I can see why they decided to drop it with two. The plot holes they left open are ones that are nearly impossible to resolve in a way that is going to satisfy everyone, especially given the whole apocolyptic vision of the future and how things are supposed to turn out (at least for a time), and the sources which seem unlikely to be wrong within the constraints of the mythos. It would be great for them to wrap everything up, but the ends of trilogies are always hard to do, especially when they intended to leave things open ended, probably to inspire other media.
Ah, fair enough. Sounds reasonable.

As for the third...yeah, I agree about that. Wrapping up a trilogy that wasn't meant to be a trilogy, that was just three movies coming out in dribs and drabs...not usually something that ends really well.

Making a third, fair enough, if they can get it to work. But just another in the franchise would likely be better than something wanting to be an epic ending, though at least that doesn't run the risk of the franchise dragging on forever.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Boris Goodenough said:
Therumancer said:
and despite cutting his teeth in making B movies palatable, he's kind of managed to become an "A lister" of a sort due to his work on things like "Sons Of Anarchy",
*cough* the city of the lost children *cough* the name of the rose *cough*
I don't think either of them were massive, mainstream successes, nothing like him carrying "Sons Of Anarchy" for a number of years, which more or less made him a household name. Indeed I think "City Of Lost Children" is an example of a high-concept, B-movie, that he actually did a lot to improve, in fact without him I doubt anyone would even remember it in geekdom, and truthfully I don't think most people know about that one.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
yes Yes YES! I've always liked the two hellboy films and was always disappointed that there wasn't a third.

If it is money problems though, to kickstarter! We can probably get that 140 mil in no time, or at least a portion of it.

And no more mentioning Ron's age, thats just depressing.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
These films got me into the comics, im so for a third, and what'chu talking bout Pearlman!? You could be 90 and still have the capacity to kick ass and take names!