Watch Out for Watch Dogs' New Release Date

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Watch Out for Watch Dogs' New Release Date

Mark your calendar and book a flight to Chicago - Watch Dogs begins its crime spree this November.

Ubisoft's open-world hacking game Watch Dogs has been keeping quiet on its release date. Until now, that is - the most recent trailer is sprinkled with some new hints about the game's storyline, along with a concrete release date. North American players will be able to step into the shoes of protagonist Aiden Pearce on November 19, with European gamers joining three days later on November 22.

Watch Dogs will launch on those dates for PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and the Wii U (confirming that Nintendo's console will be getting a piece of the action). A next-gen version will be available for the PlayStation 4 by the time that console hits shelves later this year. Ubisoft also mentions that the game is planned for "other next generation consoles," whatever that could be referring to [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days].

Ubisoft also mentions a slew of pre-order bonuses and special editions, because it just wouldn't be a AAA release if you weren't getting a different combination of content from every retailer. The Uplay Exclusive Edition, available (you guessed it) exclusively from Ubisoft's Uplay service, includes three bonus missions that should be worth about an hour of additional playtime. Then there are three physical special editions: the straightforward Special Edition includes one of the bonus missions, the Vigilante Edition comes with recreations of Aiden's distinctive cap and mask, and the Dedsec Edition has just about everything they could fit on a store shelf. That's a 23cm figurine of Aiden Pearce, an artbook, the soundtrack, a map of Chicago, four collectible cards, three badges, and the three bonus missions. No stylish cap and mask, though.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that the release date wasn't leaked by a third party - if there was ever an appropriate game for some hacker to break in and steal that information, it's the game that probably has that same task as an in-game objective. Not that I'm complaining - knowledge is power, after all, and know that we know this new information we have the power to, uh ... spend the next six months figuring out which edition to purchase.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm actually really exited for this. Not only because of the awesome trailers and promising premise, but also because Ubi's last open world shooter (Farcry 3) was one of the best FPS games I have ever played.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
So... Awesome looking game....boring looking and sounding protagonist. Grizzled White Guy with a voice like he's imitating Batman and a thirst for revenge after his wife/son/brother? has been killed.

Still, November can't come fast enough, in my opinion. Might be the only game this year that can dethrone Infinite.

The

Jan 24, 2012
It's like Person of Interest meets Person of Interest (a TV show with CIA and computers and stuff, in case you were wondering).

I'm still waiting for a game in which you can go inside the computer; hence, my Tron profile picture.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm not sure why I'm taking umbrage with this particular game - it might be because I'm looking forward to it more than I do most games - but why in the hell in this day and age are different release dates still a thing? It annoys me that I'm going to have to avoid spoilers like hell when this comes out and, if it's anything like Infinite was anyway, there's the possibility that it'll be spoiled in random places anyway. Ugh.

Anyway, that little ***** of mine out the way, I'm very much looking forward to this, and can't wait for it to finally arrive.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Coach Morrison said:
Day one purchase for me, unless they do something really stupid between now and November.
So basically, you watched a glorified trailer and then said day one purchase!...So sad, we haven't learnt anything

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Coach Morrison said:
Day one purchase for me, unless they do something really stupid between now and November.
Give it at least one week after release, marketing exists to make things look good so be carefull about it

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
mad825 said:
Coach Morrison said:
So basically, you watched a glorified trailer and then said day one purchase!...So sad, we haven't learnt anything
You say that like there hasn't been actual gameplay shown. That said, we should all still wait until after release.

I've been excited for this since the first demo was revealed. It's interesting how things creep up on you then suddenly they're here.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'll take a look at it. I'll likely give the demo a try before I buy it though.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
mad825 said:
Coach Morrison said:
Because the two previous game play demonstrations never existed right? It's a game with a concept that interests me, from a developer that has for the most part made games that I really enjoy. I don't pre-order very often and it's been years since I haven't enjoyed a game that I did. If this game is going to become some horrible mess it will make itself evident once more trailers and previews come out, which is why I said unless they do something really stupid between now and November.

Finally why do you care what I do with my money?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mad825 said:
Coach Morrison said:
Go look up the gameplay trailers. If its anywhere near (and i'm talking about they could strip out half the hacking and I'd be happy) as good looking as it looks in the trailers, its going to be worth it.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
I'm still throwing my money at the screen from the previous two gameplay trailers. Nothing's happening. Help?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
A few days after my birthday, well that settles what I'll be getting. Great timing.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
looks real good. if I see any more of it that impresses me further I might even buy it :)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
mad825 said:
Coach Morrison said:
Nevermind the two 10 minute gameplay trailers, the developers making the game, the premise, obviously yeah we should be careful, but I know that on the whole Ubisoft publish good and great AAA games, so I'd say it was a pretty safe bet.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so I guess we can expect this in december

is it me or was that coat uglier in the earlier trailers? it doesn't seem so bad now

about the generic outfit: look, not everybody can roll with the super obvious assassin's creed gear and still blend into a crowd, so get over it