Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Tells a Three-For-One Tale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Tells a Three-For-One Tale

It's a classic old tale of a mobster, a banger and a meth-head.

The latest trailer out of Rockstar is a three-part look at the lead characters of the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V and as you might expect, it continues to blur the line between videogame and movie. It's an impressive technical accomplishment and I do love Radio Gaga, but don't expect to see much in the game of gameplay here. And by "much," I mean "any." This is pure cinematic setup.

Grand Theft Auto V [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXKU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367335148&sr=8-1&keywords=grand+Theft+auto+v] comes out on September 17 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
While I liked the trailers, Michael's and Franklin's most definitely, I find the songs used? They felt perfect for the trailers. And much love for Queen's Radio Gaga. Ahhh Queen.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Didn't particularly like Franklin's part but both Michael and Trevor both look like they could be fun.

However, after not particularly loving GTA IV or RDR, I'm going to be wary about this.

Two out of three ain't bad though, I suppose.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The Franklin part sucked, hate all that "im a gangsta" urban bullshit. But then he is one of 3 characters so he may add something different. You see some gameplay stuff, dogs (can you own and send it at people?) BMX bikes, golf and tennis (can you play?) and seems good chance for fun like playing chicken with trains and planes. Graphics look great. An the one thing i am interested in seeing is the amount or variety of internal buildings. Will it be specific shops and mission related buildings? Or will there be a variety of random places that can be robbed? Only other thing is the driving, prefer it not to be as bad as GTA4 and more arcadey i guess like the previous titles. More realistic driving is fine, but when the AI of the police are still suicidal in nature in how they catch you, then real handling just makes things more difficult than it needs be.

Other than that. Looks very promising. Actually, just i thought, do you think the 3 characters are there to appeal to specific fans? Michael is more for Vicecity fans and Franklin for those that loved San Andreas?

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Didn't particularly like Franklin's part but both Michael and Trevor both look like they could be fun.

However, after not particularly loving GTA IV or RDR, I'm going to be wary about this.

Two out of three ain't bad though, I suppose.
I thought you were Daystar Clarion for a second 0_o

OT: It had me at Radio Gaga.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Is Trevor friends with Hunter Thompson? He seems like the most fun: more of the kind of character I play GTA as. I'd imagine conflicted anti-heroes have a hard time careening through pedestrians on a sidewalk at top speed. Trevor doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have a problem with that.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Other than that. Looks very promising. Actually, just i thought, do you think the 3 characters are there to appeal to specific fans? Michael is more for Vicecity fans and Franklin for those that loved San Andreas?
And Trevor is for those who like Cabela's Hunting games.

I'm assuming that's the point.
I actually liked the "gangsta shit" in San An and I think a lot of other people did too. But there were a lot of people (and I'm not saying they're racist; the racists complained about there being nothing but rap to listen to) who found it grating and it probably would've been unwise to build a whole huge game from that perspective. However, since they were taking those chances, I'm a little disappointed that one of the characters isn't female. I'd like to play GTA as a crazy ***** like Catlina.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I loved Trevor's trailer. He seems like a real GTA character. Over the top but not in a Saints Row retarded, unrealistic kind of way. Michael is too realistic and boring, and Franklin is just a gangster who wants out of that life. Too much like CJ. At least that's what I gathered from the trailers. I'm sure they will all be a lot of fun to play with. Trevor just seems like he'll be the most fun.

LordBongo

Jun 13, 2011
Dang, Rockstar is really letting the San Andreas nostalgia flag fly for this one. I mean, they're basically just showing off all the stuff that we enjoyed in that game. I can't help but notice the strategically placed bikes and airplanes and other things that you could do in SA but not in IV. The gangsters are even wearing green. It's like they're just repackaging their greatest game with better graphics, bigger world, and new characters.

I want it so damn bad.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I loved Trevor's trailer. He seems like a real GTA character. Over the top but not in a Saints Row retarded, unrealistic kind of way. Michael is too realistic and boring, and Franklin is just a gangster who wants out of that life. Too much like CJ. At least that's what I gathered from the trailers. I'm sure they will all be a lot of fun to play with. Trevor just seems like he'll be the most fun.
This. Everything said here. Especially the bit about Saints Row; that puerile sort of humour doesn't appeal to me. Whereas Trevor seems to be just vulgar enough to give us a clear idea of his character without going over the top for the sake of it.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Michael looks like the most interesting out of all of them to me. But the others look good too. I'm looking forward to this game. Hope it's good.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Interesting that Franklin seems to be in the Grove Street Families (CJ's gang from San Andreas.) I don't particularly need the faux-gangsta nonsense either, but watching him try to get out might still make for an interesting sub-story.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Three main characters and not one woman. Pathetic. One of the reasons that I still have higher hopes for SR4 than this game.

I don't know. It's nice that they're going back to San Andreas, since the last GTA game that was actually fun to play took place there, but I still doubt it... It's been a long time since I found a GTA game fun and interesting.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010

Rockstar, if you want to make a TV show, then FUCKING MAKE ONE! I've now got a choice of two extremes; dark gritty and realistic GTA film or lucozade, mushroom eating, trope referencing 13 year old SR.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Puuuuuuuuuuuuuumped. Michael's trailer specifically. Hit me right in the Queen.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Well okay, that sounds a tad weird.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

But yeah, Radio Ga Ga, amazing.

Also, as everyone is saying, Trevor seems to be the typical GTA player turned into a character. Which is brilliant.

Franklin's was the least interesting, to be honest. And I liked San Andreas' gangsta setting.