Bulletstorm Dev: Games be a-changin'

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Bulletstorm Dev: Games be a-changin'

"The designs will change because they will have to change. We are running out of options. The old ways, they no longer work."

"Ludonarrative dissonance" sounds like the kind of masturbatory, five-dollar term that lazy news hacks use to make their opening sentences more impressive, but the concept - that there can be a disconnect between the story a game wants to tell and the gameplay it uses to tell it - has finally migrated from fringe criticism to mainstream thought. While there'll always be a place for games with goals like, "kill that guy," "kill that other guy," and ,"kill all the guys," audiences are starting to demand more from narrative-driven titles. They don't just want good gameplay and good writing, they want good gameplay and good writing that complement each other. One dev who seems to have been thinking about this concept a lot is Adrian Chmierlarz, most well-known for his work as creative director on the deeply-intellectual study of nihilism that was Bulletstorm.

"Things are aligning in a way that, by the end of this generation, people started asking, 'Hey you know what, why is Nathan Drake a mass murderer?'" he told Eurogamer. "And they didn't ask that with the first Uncharted. They didn't ask that previously."

Actually, they did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/27-Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune], but when Uncharted was released, criticizing the disconnect between a game's story and its gameplay was considered picky and pedantic. Such observations have been the bread and butter of sub-par webcomics for years (and I should know, I write one), but it was rarely considered "proper" criticism. Still, more people are paying attention now, and Chmierlarz puts that down to the growing influence of indie games, particularly less traditionally "game-like" titles like Dear Esther.

Chmierlarz has since left Bulletstorm developer, People Can Fly, and become the head of a new studio named The Astronauts.

"Something happened and it was probably indie games and the fight of indie developers to show a different side of gaming," he said. "Some people tasted a little bit of that indie gaming, started thinking about games and then they go back to the old ways and go, 'OK there's something wrong here.'"

And he's right. BioShock Infinite was met with pretty much uniform praise from traditional gamers, but many criticized the game's "excessive violence," claiming it worked against the narrative. In some ways it seems unfair that whenever a game shows a spark of intelligence it ends up being held to a higher standard than its contemporaries. On the other hand, it's great to see games being judged on the same aesthetic, ethical and intellectual merits as other, more venerated, art forms. The question is whether developers will listen to this criticsm. Chmierlarz seems to think so.

"If people are truly being bothered by the fact that Drake kills 400 men during the course of the game - that was the beginning - then these questions start popping up more and more, like the BioShock Infinite discussion. Suddenly everything is wrong," he continued. "The designs will have to change, no matter what, so the next generation from that point of view is going to be also, possibly even for the very first time, the next generation of game design."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-25-the-next-generation-is-going-to-be-also-possibly-even-for-the-very-first-time-the-next-generation-of-game-design]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, I certainly asked a similar question in Far Cry 3.
"Why did I become Rambo the moment a got my first pistol?"

Like I went from zero to hero in a matter of seconds. Gameplay does need to compliment story and vice-versa.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
This I like. One day I'd love to see a AAA narrative driven game where killing someone has actual impact... Where the goal is to complete a mission, aquire an item, discover information through more... Realistic means. A story with a protagonist that kills willy-nilly and absorbs bullets can never hot as close to home as a game with real consequence for your actions.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I would totally accept a game where kill that guy is the reason provided you aren't trying to make it seem like my character isn't a murderous psychopath.

Bulletstorm did that pretty well. I really enjoyed Bulletstorm and it's astoundingly creative swearing.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
josemlopes said:

Like I went from zero to hero in a matter of seconds. Gameplay does need to compliment story and vice-versa.

THAT, actually kept me from enjoying the game whole-heartedly. I remember Ubisoft really hyping character progression prior to the game's release, claiming that Jason Brody would barely be able to fire a gun when you commenced. BUT, lo and behold, past the first kill he suddenly becomes comfortable with slaughtering hordes of pirates. I just couldn't believe this guy became a bloody Predator within such a short span of time. Not to mention he then somehow ends up as some messianic figure for the island's native population. It was too `White-boy empowerment` if you ask me.

STILL, fun game. Just...blah in the story department. And unfortunately, I usually don't finish games that lack compelling narrative.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Sounds like some good points of view, and really not hurt by the fact he worked on bulletstorm, because that actually matches up with what he said. The tone of the story, although it occasionally tries to get dramatic, remained pretty cartoony, especially in the main character. If you're going to have a character murder tons of guys in game, fine, but make sure he/she's painted as the kind of person who's either okay with that normally, or would so in the circumstances, and in the latter case, have them occasionally question their actions, not just for one cutscene in which one faceless goon for some reason means more than the hundreds of others.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
This is why I've been touting ghost runs in stealth games and pacifist runs in games like Mirror's Edge for years now.

Mirror's Edge:

Faith shoots all of the cops: They're on a manhunt for a crazy psycho woman who keeps shooting people.

Pacifist run (I'm down to 4 KOs with 0 kills): Now the "corrupt government" setting actually makes some sense, as now we have to ask why the cops keep opening fire on a girl who never did more than clunk a cop when absolutely necessary to not be shot.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
josemlopes said:

THAT, actually kept me from enjoying the game whole-heartedly. I remember Ubisoft really hyping character progression prior to the game's release, claiming that Jason Brody would barely be able to fire a gun when you commenced. BUT, lo and behold, past the first kill he suddenly becomes comfortable with slaughtering hordes of pirates. I just couldn't believe this guy became a bloody Predator within such a short span of time. Not to mention he then somehow ends up as some messianic figure for the island's native population. It was too `White-boy empowerment` if you ask me.

STILL, fun game. Just...blah in the story department. And unfortunately, I usually don't finish games that lack compelling narrative.
I dunno...it seemed to me that we were supposed to take it that Jason had been coasting on adrenaline and jungle medicines for quite some time, and eventually, had pretty much gone mad and coated the whole thing in a, as you said, white boy empowerment fantasy, and there's only a few points including the game's climax in which he snapped back into some form of reality about what he was doing.

It's a funny one, though...there's kind of fragments of a really good story. It being an open world game, those fragments aren't really connected as strongly as they would be in something more linear, and thus, it begins to be difficult to tell where you're meant to fill in blanks and read between lines, and when we're just filling in blanks and reading between lines because, well, we're nerds on the internet, overanalysis is a huge part of what we do.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I think "gamers" are actually the biggest enemy in achieving a higher standard of writing and gameplay.
Whenever you see someone criticize a game for it's ludonarrative dissonance, you inevitably see flocks of people saying "You just don't like fun" "Stop trying to make me feel guilty about killing people" "Games are about gameplay, who cares about the story?"

Hopefully there will actually be a trend to ludonarratively harmonious games. I'd love to see more games where the mechanics reinforce what you're being told by the story.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
YES. YES. All of my YES. This is why Spec Ops was so good, it weaved story and gameplay together. I would happily pay for more stuff that did that.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
He's got a point, but I hope we don't go too far the other way. I like a variety of games. Tomb Raider got some criticism for this, but I love that game. I've had a blast playing it, despite the disconnect between story and gameplay. The same is true for the Drake's Fortune games. Are they over the top? Sure, but they are fun. I can appreciate all types of games!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I played the third Uncharted and I honestly had this problem, at a certain point I just felt like "Fuck, I don't care how much this or that treasure is worth, I've killed so many people, some probably have kids and I'm going to have PTSD for the rest of my life. How is this still worth it?"

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
lacktheknack said:
This is why I've been touting ghost runs in stealth games and pacifist runs in games like Mirror's Edge for years now.

Mirror's Edge:

Faith shoots all of the cops: They're on a manhunt for a crazy psycho woman who keeps shooting people.

Pacifist run (I'm down to 4 KOs with 0 kills): Now the "corrupt government" setting actually makes some sense, as now we have to ask why the cops keep opening fire on a girl who never did more than clunk a cop when absolutely necessary to not be shot.
I think that's the part people often forget, we the players are a massive part of how well a game's theme plays out. Unlike movies or books where the author controls everything a game can only set the stage for us to play out our own stories. I've found some of the most fun playing games with my own role play/rules applied, eg: Redshirt challenge in Star Trek Online.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Part of me thinks it's still really pedantic to have this as a large criticism to a game. For instance, I see lots of comments about Far Cry 3 and they are really pedantic. At the end of the day, if you thought you were getting something besides a good playable FPS, I don't know what game you thought you were playing. They even utilize the action as story progression in some parts by inserting audio clips that play only during certain scene... there was actual arching going on with Far Cry 3 and the character Jason Brody. As far as him picking up a gun and being Rambo, you don't know anything about his past prior to this game. You know his brother was in the military, but at no point did they make out like he had never fired a gun before. The criticisms about afraid to shoot to mass murder are partially on the ball though, but I return to the fact that people were buying a Far Cry game, which is an FPS about killing the people in your way.

I feel that this criticism is better leveled against a game like the recent Tomb Raider game. It was very good, but there was a complete disconnect between story cut scenes and the game itself. Half the things that enabled further explanation doubled as killing devices, meaning that the exploration aspect was inferred more-so than it was meant to be part of the game. Every cut scene showed a girl who was unsure about herself who needed constant reassurance from her friends, only to have her kill 18 guys as soon as the game began. They didn't even offer you a chance to not kill everyone.

Like I said, I'm a bit torn. Stories about people able to slaughter en mass in an unstoppable manner tend to be boring, but the gameplay tends to be exciting or fun. You need good characterization to tell a good story, and you don't get that in games about killers killing people. Those characters tend to be shallow and unrelatable. Games won't evolved because developers will always be trying to shoehorn what they perceive to be "good story" into a game about shooting or killing. There will probably always be this dissonance because developers and publishers have really shed a lot of different game types in the pursuit of sales.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
josemlopes said:
Give a man a gun, and he'll think he's Superman. Give him two, and he'll think he's God.

How many games go out of their way to fulfill that, I wonder..

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Right Hook said:
I played the third Uncharted and I honestly had this problem, at a certain point I just felt like "Fuck, I don't care how much this or that treasure is worth, I've killed so many people, some probably have kids and I'm going to have PTSD for the rest of my life. How is this still worth it?"
It's also amazing how the actual game itself brings up the point of the ridiculousness of Nathan Drake continuing to go to ludicrous lengths chasing treasure but casually brushes that plot-point off when the third act starts rolling around.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I do worry that if this train of thought continues, we'll end up with games that offer very little in the way of action-oriented gameplay; and as much as people like to say that action games are becoming repetitive, it's a hell of a lot better than watching you're character shamble around cutscenes doing everything for you.

To be fair, of course, this could also go in the other direction, where we start to see new genres created and older genres revisited more often in order to compliment the story being told. Imagine if Bioshock: Infinite had been an adventure game like The Walking Dead (the good one), or a stealth RPG like Deus Ex. It's fair to say that the shooter and action genre in general is very much the "default" genre to make, no matter what kind of story you are telling. What if Spec Ops: The Line was a turn-based strategy game like XCOM, would that have helped its message and sales, as it wouldn't have been seen as a CoD clone? I would obviously love to see the industry go down that route, but that route takes effort and more money / risk. So i guess only time will tell what becomes of this admittedly problematic divide between gameplay and story.