Cyberpunk 2077 Isn't Blade Runner

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Cyberpunk 2077 Isn't Blade Runner

"The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city."

Yeah, I know. Captain Obvious is giving me the stink-eye over that headline, he thinks I'm muscling in on his turf. Regardless, the point bears repeating: Cyberpunk 2077 is not Blade Runner. Despite what the haunting debut trailer might imply, 2077 "won't be a game about police hunting cyber-psychos," explained creative director Sebastian Stepien.

"That's a sub-plot ... The story will be low-level," he continued. "We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems."

"First of all it will be an RPG, so that means you create the story," he continued. "In Syndicate and other shooters you can do no such thing. The other thing is that you will have the chance to create your character's personality. This is very, very important. The style and mood and atmosphere of this world, what you do at the bar, what do you drink, how you react with other people, what dialogue you choose -- all these things let us keep the Cyberpunk atmosphere all the time."

Blade Runner has a strange relationship with the cyberpunk genre. Aesthetically, it's hugely influential - Its rain-soaked streets, bathed in a perpetual neon glow became the de facto vision of the future until the post-Apple, white-plastic-on-everything-look became fashionable. But despite being the genre's chief visual influence, with the possible exception of Akira (which itself owes the movie a nod or two), Blade Runner technically isn't a cyberpunk film. As 2077 director, Mateusz Kanik notes, the "punk" aspect is notably absent.

"There are lots of cyber games around, but there's not a lot of punk in those games," he said. "We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll."

Fortunately, there's already a perfectly serviceable pair of Blade Runner [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov3CuU81LM] games. [http://www.snatcher.co.uk/]

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk]

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Now I want this game even more... Not because it's nothing like Blade Runner, but because of the last quote.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Well Deckard wasn't saving the world or the city either... But I can see what they're getting at. I'm most definitely intrigued by this game and if it's of the same quality as CD Projekt Red's other work then sign me up.

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
The tittle should be "It isn't Blade Runner....but it's definitely fucking Neuromancer" since cyberpunk 2020 is pretty much the official licensed tabletop version of the book. So, this would be pretty much Neuromancer the video game.

CAPTCHA: "Bad Books" go fuck yourself CAPTCHA, I love that book.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This is honestly one of the most intriguing games I've heard about for while, and it's not due for about another year or more?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I never played a CD Projekt Red game in my life, but from what I've heard their relation with fans and the quality of their games can be matched with Valve. This game might just peak my interest.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
tbh, while Blade Runner on the surface was about a cop chasing renegade robots, it was really about his own internal struggle as a human being in that society, doing things because he is told that is what he must do, against human-being-like individuals who were also put in that kind of situation, and are now rebelling against it

i don't see how that has anything to do with saving anything

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
YES! We need more games like this, that actually focus on a small story rather than THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOT IT!

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
But... Cyberpunk has always been all about a dark and hopeless world (Rampant consumerism, fascism, and evil corporations) and the punks that are really pissed off about it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Advertising? Marketing? Release dates?

Don't know, I don't know such stuff. I just do games, ju-, ju-, just games... just game design, just games. You Gamer, huh? I design your games.

CDProjekt, If you could see what I have seen in your games...

Oh CDProject, sometimes I wonder if you are too much the artiste...

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Starke said:
Grey Carter said:
"In Syndicate and other shooters..."
I think a piece of my soul just died... :(

*headdesks*
Just because retro Syndicate wasn't a shooter doesn't mean modern Syndicate isn't either. Besides, retro Syndicate isn't exactly the most well-remembered of titles. I can't blame CD Projekt for their choice of words.

Jun 16, 2010
Revnak said:
But... Cyberpunk has always been all about a dark and hopeless world (Rampant consumerism, fascism, and evil corporations) and the punks that are really pissed off about it.
Not exactly. I think hope is the essence of cyberpunk.

One of the core themes of the Sprawl trilogy is that even with all the endless resources that big dodgy corporations have, some punk who dedicates himself to the art of hacking can still royally fuck their shit up.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
KubuTsukareta said:
Starke said:
Grey Carter said:
"In Syndicate and other shooters..."
I think a piece of my soul just died... :(

*headdesks*
Just because retro Syndicate wasn't a shooter doesn't mean modern Syndicate isn't either. Besides, retro Syndicate isn't exactly the most well-remembered of titles. I can't blame CD Projekt for their choice of words.
What like "modern military shooters"? Stop trying to sugar coat it, that's exactly what they said. The retro Syndicate is a strategy game while the modern one is a shooter.

The whole "no saving the world" business sounds like a re-run of DA2.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
I always thought Blade Runner was more Film Noir than anything else. It has lots of tropes from classic private eye stories, just cast in a dark, grungy science fiction city rather than a dark, grungy regular city.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sleekit said:
y'know the Westwood Blade Runner game is excellent and still sits on the shelf behind me...

if its on GoG or something i'd recommend anyone with a passing interest in such things to check it out (its a "point and click adventure game" like a classic Lucas Arts game)

btw "the aesthetic" owes more to the genius that is Syd Mead ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Mead ) than Philip K. Dick or William Gibson (although Ridley Scott did ofc use/blend with that work while making the film "his" vision).

Syds a bit of hero of mine (i used to want to be a model maker when i was a kid) and you only have to look at the films he's worked on to see why he might be to any "geek"...Aliens franchise, Blade Runner, Tron, Star Trek, 2010...even his work on lesser stuff like Johnny Mnemonic, "Johnny 5" and Timecop :p

the guy is a boss and sits right alongside Stan Winston as far as i'm concerned as being able to turn out futurist design that's just 110% "right".

anyway back on topic...as both a serious Witcher/CD Projekt fan and a SF fan in general i'm more than highly stoked about this game :D
Gibson was a minor writer who had only a few short stories in magazines to his name at the time of Blade Runner coming out. His first novel Neuromancer wasn't published until 2 years after Blade Runner. Admittedly Gibson was almost there, he had written the short story burning chrome (which had the sprawl and cyberspace), Johnny Mnemonic(1st appearance of Molly/Sally) and the New Rose Hotel(corporate extraction mercenaries as in Count Zero), but these stories were largely unknown at the time.